Praying to a saviour?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
tellyontellyon

Praying to a saviour?

Post by tellyontellyon »

Can Buddhists pray to a deity, Buddha, the Noble Sangha etc. etc. for help with dealing with spiritual and psychological problems?

Sometimes I feel so weak and at the mercy of my conditioning that I despair of myself and feel I need someone to save me... is this possible?

Thanks in advance :crying:
"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself."
- Rumi
Malcolm

Re: Praying to a saviour?

Post by Malcolm »

tellyontellyon wrote:Can Buddhists pray to a deity, Buddha, the Noble Sangha etc. etc. for help with dealing with spiritual and psychological problems?

Sometimes I feel so weak and at the mercy of my conditioning that I despair of myself and feel I need someone to save me... is this possible?

This is what Tāra is for.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Alternatively, Avalokitesvara.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Amitabha anyone?

"Vow 18 
Provided I become a Buddha, if the beings of the ten quarters who after having heard my name, and thus awakened their highest faith and aspiration of re-birth in that country of mine, even they have recollected such a thought for ten times only, they are destined to be born there, with the exception of those who have committed the five deadly sins (Anantarya), and who have blasphemed the orthodox Law (Dharma), otherwise may I not attain the enlightenment."
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

thank you folks. :namaste:
"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself."
- Rumi
sillyrabbit

Post by sillyrabbit »

Medicine Buddha.
Namo Amitabha Buddha
:hug:
pael

Post by pael »

Malcolm wrote:
tellyontellyon wrote:Can Buddhists pray to a deity, Buddha, the Noble Sangha etc. etc. for help with dealing with spiritual and psychological problems?

How to pray Tara? Does it need empowerment or lung? How to pray Tara without empowerment or lung?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

pael wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

How to pray Tara? Does it need empowerment or lung? How to pray Tara without empowerment or lung?
You need a lung for the sadhana. As for the mantra: some teachers say it needs empowerment, some say it doesn't need empowerment.

An Amitabha practice, based on the Sutra approach, does not need empowerment.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

Tara is the Mother. Mother is full of compassion. Just love her if your heart want to express love.

I practiced Tara without empowerement or any lungs, i felt very good things. Others persons did with the same results. Then after some years i did it after receiving the empowerment and lung, it's still very good.

Anyway, an empowerment by a true master can help your mind mature and you will find much more easily Tara inside. It can really quickens the process. A true Guru helps your mind mature, like a cristal that shines its radiance and help you find your own light inside.

Anyway, true empowerment is not a ceremony, it's a process. It can happens in many different forms.

Don't take an empowerment like a "diploma" or permission, it's the best way to completly miss the point, like those who accumulate ngondro just like a diploma and instead of disapearing in the light of their Guru (ngondro is Guru yoga), they just cristallise something very negative about their ego. Energy can be dangerous, intention is extremly important. Just my opinion still.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Grigoris wrote:Amitabha anyone?

"Vow 18 
Provided I become a Buddha, if the beings of the ten quarters who after having heard my name, and thus awakened their highest faith and aspiration of re-birth in that country of mine, even they have recollected such a thought for ten times only, they are destined to be born there, with the exception of those who have committed the five deadly sins (Anantarya), and who have blasphemed the orthodox Law (Dharma), otherwise may I not attain the enlightenment."
Yes indeed, this is the foundation for practice in Pure Land schools such as Jodo-shu, Shinshu, and Chinese Pure Land.

Vow 33 is a good one too :)
"If, when I attain Buddhahood, sentient beings in the immeasurable and inconceivable Buddha-lands of the ten quarters, who have been touched by my light, should not feel peace and happiness in their bodies and minds surpassing those of humans and devas, may I not attain perfect Enlightenment."

I too have felt "so weak and at the mercy of my conditioning that I despair of myself and feel I need someone to save me".
Those with this kind of challenge and awareness of their limitations can find much relief in trying buddha-remembrance of Amitabha, even for a little while.
Amitabha is often compared to a swift ship which carries even heavy boulders across the ocean of suffering with ease.

I have also had positive experiences with Chenrezig.
Whichever seems to "click" for you! You'll know :)

I hope you feel better, tellyon!
Namu Amida Butsu
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

I treasure this quote
Please look at an image of Padmasambhava, or of your teacher, or of your yidam.

I can assure you that you are loved unconditionally. I can absolutely promise you this.

There is no mistake. Somewhere in this universe, you are loved unconditionally.

What you must do is learn to gradually exchange your experience of broken love

for this other love -- this unconditional love that is continually being offered

to you by all the buddhas and bodhisattvas of the ten directions.

-Bill Cassidy
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

When I Googled Bill Cassidy I got a U.S Senator from Louisiana. Is that who you are quoting?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

"Vow 18 
Since Guru Rinpoche is an emanation of Buddha Amitabha, he would work to, no?
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Please look at an image of Padmasambhava, or of your teacher, or of your yidam. I can assure you that you are loved unconditionally. I can absolutely promise you this. There is no mistake. Somewhere in this universe, you are loved unconditionally. What you must do is learn to gradually exchange your experience of broken love for this other love -- this unconditional love that is continually being offered to you by all the buddhas and bodhisattvas of the ten directions.
-Bill C@ssidy
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

tiagolps wrote:

"Vow 18 
Since Guru Rinpoche is an emanation of Buddha Amitabha, he would work to, no?
Sure, but you would need lung for the mantra.

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

To clarify too for the original poster, one does not need any kind of empowerment to call on Amitabha directly.
Even a bare recitation of "Amitabha! Amitabha!" with sincere aspiration in any time, any place, and any state of mind is enough to begin. :smile:
Learning more through reading the Pure Land sutras or commentaries by masters such as Shantao, Honen, Shinran, or other lineages like Thich Thien Tam can deepen this practice as well if you find affinity for it.
Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”