Sogyal Rinpoche and Rigpa

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Einzige

Sogyal Rinpoche and Rigpa

Post by Einzige »

Hello again, having done some more research from my other thread I've found out that the group I was going to be with is a Rigpa Awareness group based on the teachings/practices of Sogyal Rinpoche. Indeed in the few times I've been there the classes are based on his book (Living and Dying) and tend to include about 3 or 4 videos of him preaching/instructing and some discussion and meditation (for about 10ish dollar donation).

Now Ive seen mixed reports - some particularly worrying from the Buddhism controversy blog- so my question is for all its faults is it nevertheless still worthwhile as a starting point or would it be best to steer clear of them and focus on the internet resources?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Sogyal Rinpoche and Rigpa

Post by Grigoris »

Einzige wrote:Hello again, having done some more research from my other thread I've found out that the group I was going to be with is a Rigpa Awareness group based on the teachings/practices of Sogyal Rinpoche. Indeed in the few times I've been there the classes are based on his book (Living and Dying) and tend to include about 3 or 4 videos of him preaching/instructing and some discussion and meditation (for about 10ish dollar donation).

Now Ive seen mixed reports - some particularly worrying from the Buddhism controversy blog- so my question is for all its faults is it nevertheless still worthwhile as a starting point or would it be best to steer clear of them and focus on the internet resources?
You are aware of the issues, so when the alarm bells go off... I am sure you can learn a lot of Dharma there.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
philji

Post by philji »

Agreeing with Gregoris. Despite Sogyal Rinpoche's alleged faults, you can learn a great deal there. Go into it with eyes wide open.
Einzige

Post by Einzige »

Thank you both for your advice, Im not a fan of letting the perfect become the enemy of the good but since Ive got no point of reference in this area I appreciate the help.
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

Grigoris wrote:
Einzige wrote:Hello again, having done some more research from my other thread I've found out that the group I was going to be with is a Rigpa Awareness group based on the teachings/practices of Sogyal Rinpoche. Indeed in the few times I've been there the classes are based on his book (Living and Dying) and tend to include about 3 or 4 videos of him preaching/instructing and some discussion and meditation (for about 10ish dollar donation).

You are aware of the issues, so when the alarm bells go off... I am sure you can learn a lot of Dharma there.
Your signature:

""Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde"

May be the best possible answer to this question Lol

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”