Why plants don't have citta?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
pael

Why plants don't have citta?

Post by pael »

Why plants don't have citta? Why they don't transmigrate?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
Aryjna

Re: Why plants don't have citta?

Post by Aryjna »

pael wrote:Why plants don't have citta? Why they don't transmigrate?
Why do you say they don't have? I haven't really thought about it or looked into it, but this reminded me of a story from Patrul Rinpoche's commentary on the Bodhicaryavatara. Though it is not exactly clear whether the person in question was reincarnated as that tree, or maybe as some kind of spirit that was bound there or something like that.

The nectar of Manjushri’s speech , p.97
In the Damamako-sutra, there is a story about a large tree that was entirely covered by worms that were devouring it. It was covered so that not even a pinpoint of its surface was exposed. The tree lamented for it was suffering intensely. It is said that this was the fully ripened effect of the actions of a monastic servant called Lita who embezzled the belongings of the monks and gave it as provisions to the laity. Lita was reborn in the tree and the lay people took the form of the worms. And after this, rebirth in hell awaited him.
pael

Post by pael »

Aryjna wrote:
Why do you say they don't have?
According to Korean monk.
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Aryjna wrote:
In the Damamako-sutra, there is a story about a large tree that was entirely covered by worms that were devouring it. It was covered so that not even a pinpoint of its surface was exposed. The tree lamented for it was suffering intensely. It is said that this was the fully ripened effect of the actions of a monastic servant called Lita who embezzled the belongings of the monks and gave it as provisions to the laity. Lita was reborn in the tree and the lay people took the form of the worms. And after this, rebirth in hell awaited him.
"Reborn in the tree". This refers to an 'ephemeral hell' incarnation. They can also be born in door frames, mortars, and other inanimate objects for which identification with causes extreme pain.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Javierfv1212

Post by Javierfv1212 »

If memory serves me right Gendün Chöphel argued that they did, even though it is considered a Jain view
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
A person who is ignorant of this may seek externally,
but how is it possible to find oneself through seeking anywhere other than in oneself?
Someone who seeks their own nature externally is like a fool who, giving a performance in the middle of a crowd, forgets who he is and then seeks everywhere else to find himself.
— Padmasambhava

Visit my site: https://sites.google.com/view/abhayajana/
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Plants are not sentient. Unless, we would have nothing to eat. They proliferate by seeds, not by mind. They don't have a mind. They cannot transmigrate like sentient beings.
Javierfv1212

Post by Javierfv1212 »

odysseus wrote:
Plants are not sentient. Unless, we would have nothing to eat. They proliferate by seeds, not by mind. They don't have a mind. They cannot transmigrate like sentient beings.
that's debatable,

https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-01-09/ ... out-plants

https://books.google.com/books?id=M1rTN ... e&q&f=true
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
A person who is ignorant of this may seek externally,
but how is it possible to find oneself through seeking anywhere other than in oneself?
Someone who seeks their own nature externally is like a fool who, giving a performance in the middle of a crowd, forgets who he is and then seeks everywhere else to find himself.
— Padmasambhava

Visit my site: https://sites.google.com/view/abhayajana/
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

It seems like they would. They live, they grow, they move. Just my intuition about it. Can't wait to hear others' thoughts.

Jake
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

jkarlins wrote:It seems like they would. They live, they grow, they move.
Dharmakirti (and others) disagrees about the sentience of plants. You should get this :

https://books.google.fr/books/about/The ... edir_esc=y

And if you want the PDF, avoid Scribd at all cost since it is downloadable for free here :

https://icabs.repo.nii.ac.jp/?action=pa ... lock_id=17
Strive

Post by Strive »

Good question I think plants do have souls or citta
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

They don't, they are part of the chalices (snod) which are a support (rten) for sentient beings (brten, that which is supported). Conditioned existence is made up of chalices (snod, receptacle, i.e. universes) and elixirs (bcud, i.e. sentient beings). Plants belong to the chalices: they are living but not sentient. Please take the time to read the link to the Schmithausen book given previously, the author did a very nice work and it's really worth reading it.
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

Losal Samten wrote:
Aryjna wrote:
"Reborn in the tree". This refers to an 'ephemeral hell' incarnation. They can also be born in door frames, mortars, and other inanimate objects for which identification with causes extreme pain.
Do you have any sources to learn more about this?
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Seeker12 wrote:
Losal Samten wrote:
Aryjna wrote:
Do you have any sources to learn more about this?
These hells are discussed in Words of My Perfect Teacher, and many other texts probably. I thought it may just be an ephemeral hell or not actually reborn as a tree, but I wasn't completely sure.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Zhanran's Diamond Scalpel may be of interest... in it, Zhanran advances the Tiantai doctrine that insentients like plants and rocks, even whole environments, have Buddha Nature. While its not quite the same as saying they have citta, I think there is significant overlap, especially once we start considering increasingly subtle levels of "consciousness".

Below is a link to a dissertation synopsis on the Diamond Scalpel. I do not have a copy of this dissertation (but would like one!) I know that there is at least one other translation of the Diamond Scalpel, possibly two or more, floating around out there - I have a pdf of one and a vague recollection that I have another, but I don't have permission to publish.

http://doktori.btk.elte.hu/lingv/papmelinda/thesis.pdf
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

mutsuk wrote:They don't, they are part of the chalices (snod) which are a support (rten) for sentient beings (brten, that which is supported). Conditioned existence is made up of chalices (snod, receptacle, i.e. universes) and elixirs (bcud, i.e. sentient beings). Plants belong to the chalices: they are living but not sentient. Please take the time to read the link to the Schmithausen book given previously, the author did a very nice work and it's really worth reading it.
whoahh fascinating thank you!

really interesting ideas there

Jake
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Queequeg wrote:Zhanran's Diamond Scalpel may be of interest... in it, Zhanran advances the Tiantai doctrine that insentients like plants and rocks, even whole environments, have Buddha Nature. While its not quite the same as saying they have citta, I think there is significant overlap, especially once we start considering increasingly subtle levels of "consciousness".

Below is a link to a dissertation synopsis on the Diamond Scalpel. I do not have a copy of this dissertation (but would like one!) I know that there is at least one other translation of the Diamond Scalpel, possibly two or more, floating around out there - I have a pdf of one and a vague recollection that I have another, but I don't have permission to publish.

http://doktori.btk.elte.hu/lingv/papmelinda/thesis.pdf
:D :D :D :D
so cool, thank you
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Queequeg wrote:...insentients like plants and rocks, even whole environments, have Buddha Nature. While its not quite the same as saying they have citta, I think there is significant overlap...
To have a Buddha Nature, you have to have a mind. Buddha Nature does not exist out there by itself as a force embrassing everything. It is the true essence of one's mind. In the Zhangzhung Nyengyü, there is a simile explaining that while ponds, lakes, etc., have an inherent dynamism (rtsal) or dynamic nature that enables them to reflect the moon shining in the sky on their surface, to thus giving rise to a "water-moon" (chu-zla, i.e. a reflection of the moon in water), rocks, etc., even though embraced by the light of the moon do not have any capacity to reflect it and therefore do not have any "water-moon". The insentient universe has no mind and therefore no capacity to reflect the nature of the mind. Without the intention of lightening again the strong debate between Indianists/Tibetologists on one side and Sinologists on the other side, I think that the tendency in Chinese Buddhism to state that Buddha Nature embraces inert matter implies a serious deviation (gol sa) from the correct understanding of such Buddha Nature...i.e. that when one says it embraces everything, it implies that it embraces everything within the mind or everything that arise to and within the mind. This reminds me of another debate about misunderstanding the concept of "khyab-rig" in Dzogchen which has similar issues...
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

mutsuk wrote:
Queequeg wrote:...insentients like plants and rocks, even whole environments, have Buddha Nature. While its not quite the same as saying they have citta, I think there is significant overlap...
To have a Buddha Nature, you have to have a mind. Buddha Nature does not exist out there by itself as a force embrassing everything. It is the true essence of one's mind. In the Zhangzhung Nyengyü, there is a simile explaining that while ponds, lakes, etc., have an inherent dynamism (rtsal) or dynamic nature that enables them to reflect the moon shining in the sky on their surface, to thus giving rise to a "water-moon" (chu-zla, i.e. a reflection of the moon in water), rocks, etc., even though embraced by the light of the moon do not have any capacity to reflect it and therefore do not have any "water-moon". The insentient universe has no mind and therefore no capacity to reflect the nature of the mind. Without the intention of lightening again the strong debate between Indianists/Tibetologists on one side and Sinologists on the other side, I think that the tendency in Chinese Buddhism to state that Buddha Nature embraces inert matter implies a serious deviation (gol sa) from the correct understanding of such Buddha Nature...i.e. that when one says it embraces everything, it implies that it embraces everything within the mind or everything that arise to and within the mind. This reminds me of another debate about misunderstanding the concept of "khyab-rig" in Dzogchen which has similar issues...
Yeah, Zhanran's argument does involve some stretching definitions. Its not the simplistic thing you make it out to be, though. It does have some interesting implications for what "mind" is.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

mutsuk wrote:Buddha Nature does not exist out there by itself as a force embrassing everything...
Why would anyone be embarrassed by Buddha nature? Image
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

dzogchungpa wrote:
mutsuk wrote:Buddha Nature does not exist out there by itself as a force embrassing everything...
Why would anyone be embarrassed by Buddha nature?
I don't know, but your Buddha Nature is definitely showing.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”