Lifetimes completing cycle of Dependent origination

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
pael

Lifetimes completing cycle of Dependent origination

Post by pael »

It is said Dependent origination takes 2 or 3 lives to complete.
The twelve links can be explained as a process occurring over three lifetimes:
(i) The past cause of ignorance and karmic formations lead to the result of (ii) one’s consciousness of the present life and the links up until becoming, through which one accumulates the karma through the negative emotions of craving and attachment, that will lead to (iii) a future rebirth. One takes birth according to one’s karma and experiences the sufferings of old age and death and so one.
Or over two lifetimes:
(i) The ignorance of one’s previous incarnation, and the karma created through the power of craving and attachment, cause (ii) one to take another birth, and in that present life there arise the links from consciousness through to becoming and old age and death.
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?tit ... igination
There is (liberation palm your hand page 126) a story where brahmin and ksatria are talking what they want to do with Sangha.
Brahmin wants to kill them and ksatria wants to feed them. They take a nap. Brahmin lose his head by a runaway cart. Ksatria sleeps under the tree and trees shadow doesn't move and he's rewarded by position of leading merchant.
Why their karma caught them in same lifetime they did that action?
It should happen in their next lifetime. Why it did happen in same lifetime?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
Vasana

Re: Lifetimes completing cycle of Dependent origination

Post by Vasana »

Some karma can ripen in the same life.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
pael

Post by pael »

Vasana wrote:Some karma can ripen in the same life.
Does twelve links tell how karma ripens? Is twelve links of Dependent origination same as law of karma?
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

pael wrote:
Does twelve links tell how karma ripens? Is twelve links of Dependent origination same as law of karma?
Maybe take a look at the material from the Berzin Archives:

https://studybuddhism.com/en/advanced-s ... h-analysis
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
pael

Post by pael »

How law of Dependent origination allows this? It seems to allow projecting karma only.
Can someone explain how law of Dependent origination allow karma to ripen in same life?
I have heard it needs two lives at least.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

pael wrote:
How law of Dependent origination allows this? It seems to allow projecting karma only.
Can someone explain how law of Dependent origination allow karma to ripen in same life?
I have heard it needs two lives at least.
I think it depends on the kind of karma and in some cases if there has been an aspiration to experience the fruit of actions committed in the same life. I'm not able to explain how or why this is according to the 12 links, but i remember specifically reading it in works from Karma Chakme.

https://tinyurl.com/ydfkycv3

This second one has a good reminder that the purpose of these teachings is not to cause despair but to remind us that we're able to confess and purify the karma.

https://tinyurl.com/y877s6kj
Attachments
20170719_133505.png
20170719_133505.png (394 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Some people hold to the idea that karma is a system of reward and punishment, that the universe rewards and punishes beings in order to maintain some kind of perfect yin-yang balance or something, and they look at the outward appearances of events as being either good or bad, and then attribute that good or bad value as being the result of karma, or of previous actions.

Suppose you have to catch a flight on a plane. It is very important. Maybe you are going to an interview for a very high paying job.
But there is a traffic jam, and you miss your flight. You say, "That is because of my bad karma".
However, shortly after takeoff, the plane crashes and all the passengers are dead. So, now you think, "Oh, I must have very good karma!"
But, the plane crashed into your house and destroyed everything you owned. So now, you are back to "my bad karma".
However, being with no possessions and no job, you decide to become a monk...

So, it is foolish to look at appearances of things and think "this is my good karma" or "this is my bad karma" because that completely misses the point.

It may be said that a person who is extremely greedy in this life will experience poverty in the next life. So, some people think that means the person will be born into a household with no money, and they look at poor people and think, "its their bad karma".
However, what that rebirth into poverty really means is, because a person has cultivated a greedy mind, even if they are reborn into a family of millionaires, they will always suffer the feeling that they do not have enough. They will always be tormented with wanting more and more. Basically, even though they have all they need, they will experience poverty.

Whether the karmic results of actions occur in this lifetime or in future lifetimes depends on a variety of circumstances. It is the same as being extremely tired and sleepy, drinking some coffee or tea and then going to sleep. The caffeine from the drink is in yours system, but the force of sleepiness is more powerful at the moment, so it is possible to fall asleep. However, in an hour or so, when the body has rested a little, the power of sleepiness is not a strong as the caffeine, and now it's the coffee or tea's turn, and you wake up. Likewise, an action you commit may not come to fruition right away, but will later.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”