Info request on Four Noble Truths

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Supramundane

Info request on Four Noble Truths

Post by Supramundane »

Simple question: can all the main concepts in Buddhism, such as Sunyata, Buddha nature, Buddha mind, karma, interconnectedness, etc. all be connected to specific Noble Truths or one of the Eightfold Path? If so, do you have a link to a chart or diagram illustrating these connections?

It would be , in addition to a great memory aid, an excellent didactic tool.
thx
diamind

Re: Info request on Four Noble Truths

Post by diamind »

ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

You might be interested in expositions like the Khenjuk or the Abhidharma-Samuccaya on this subject.

The Khenjuk is available in English as the "Gateway to Knowledge" 4 volume series, and volume 2 mostly covers the 4 noble truths. Volume 2 is available for free in a PDF file online, although the book frankly is not that expensive and I personally might suggest buying it if you find it valuable. The Abhidharma-Samuccaya is similarly available online.

Generally speaking, there are different ways I think of conceptualizing the Dharma, and I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the first Noble Truth has to do with full understanding of existence, samsara, etc, the 2nd NT has to do with all knowledge of things like karma and disturbing emotions, the 3rd NT has to do with all knowledge of the goal/nirvana/etc, and the 4th NT has to do with all knowledge of the path(s). Which is a pretty big net.

There are other ways of categorizing - for example, dividing up Dependent Origination can be said to encompass the 4 noble truths if understood frontwards and backwards.

This is all covered quite well in the Khenjuk/Gateway to Knowledge, IMO.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Supramundane

Post by Supramundane »

Seeker12 wrote:You might be interested in expositions like the Khenjuk or the Abhidharma-Samuccaya on this subject.

The Khenjuk is available in English as the "Gateway to Knowledge" 4 volume series, and volume 2 mostly covers the 4 noble truths. Volume 2 is available for free in a PDF file online, although the book frankly is not that expensive and I personally might suggest buying it if you find it valuable. The Abhidharma-Samuccaya is similarly available online.

Generally speaking, there are different ways I think of conceptualizing the Dharma, and I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the first Noble Truth has to do with full understanding of existence, samsara, etc, the 2nd NT has to do with all knowledge of things like karma and disturbing emotions, the 3rd NT has to do with all knowledge of the goal/nirvana/etc, and the 4th NT has to do with all knowledge of the path(s). Which is a pretty big net.

There are other ways of categorizing - for example, dividing up Dependent Origination can be said to encompass the 4 noble truths if understood frontwards and backwards.

This is all covered quite well in the Khenjuk/Gateway to Knowledge, IMO.
great!
thanks for taking the time to type that out!

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”