Is Maya/Mara becoming stronger?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
jkarlins

Re: Is Maya/Mara becoming stronger?

Post by jkarlins »

Seems impossible to really know. We can't go back to before this was happening. Even our memories of decades ago can be questioned. They're not objective.
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Dan74 wrote:
Wayfarer wrote:Very wise post, Dan74.

Years ago, I gave a course on Introduction to Buddhism at an evening college. I remarked that it seemed to me there was a growing disconnect about the nature of reality, and I'm sure that's true. Technology is part of it, but dependence on devices is as much a symptom as a cause. I myself constantly have my smart phone with me nowadays, as I read the news, play chess, listen to music and check my commuting time-tables and banking on it. (That's apart from communicating with it!) OK i realise I am getting a bit over-dependent, I think I am going to start some tech-free Sundays. But smart phone is not really the root cause. The cause is general disconnection from the felt reality of existence, being lost in abstractions, thought and ideas, and so on. The problem is, because of materialism, people really are investing themselves in illusions, there's no doubt about that at all. The economic systems of the West are favouring that, although I still think that the economic and scientific techniques of the modern world are essential, so long as they're directed wisely.

A story I told back at that course - some poor deluded soul, I think probably with mental illness issues, was arrested for planting explosives around his neighborhood. They didn't hurt anyone but did some damage. When questioned, he said he was trying to create a 'smiley' type of emoticon, which could be photographed by satellites. I thought it very touching, sad, and also illustrative of the kinds of delusions people have nowadays.
Thank you, Wayfarer.

And I agree with you - there is a fundamental disconnect between people and their physical environment - we are overly and neurotically connected to the thought-sphere, walking around almost like ghosts, disembodied.

In meditation I was taught and found it very useful to come back to the body, like starting with the scanning practice, the sensation of the breath, the physicality of existence. To consciously inhabit the space we are in. To consciously navigate it. As you know Zen loves nature, mountains, forests, the moon, the body of nature. They are great teachers if one is willing to listen, reminding us of something deeper and more abiding than the hustle and bustle of our daily lives. But at the same time, it behoves us not to deepen this duality, but bring the forest and the mountain spirit into our moment-to-moment experience wherever we are. Coming back to the market-place, as the 10 Ox-herding Pictures say. Fully engaged, but not blown around by the comings and goings, the worldly winds. It is a moment-to-moment challenge, isn't it?

So as much as I empathise with the view that our modern reality is what it is, don't make it good or bad, but engage skilfully, what actually happens is that many of us are completely addicted to our devices, slaves of the dopamine rush of validation, visual stimuli, or just ameliorating a sense of boredom and purposelessness. This is a tragedy of our times. The Era of the Hungry Ghosts and Shades, numbing any remaining pangs of existence.
A very, very good post.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

strive wrote:this is why i keep basic phone...
Wise choice, strive.

:namaste:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

No. As time goes on, things become calmer.

Especially this will be seen in the near and semi-near future.

This can be understood in a variety of ways -- but if one keeps to practice, more and more good become apparent.

Peace, beauty, and the good health of the earth -- These come when our natural relationship with earth is restored, and harmonious living with plants, humans and animals occurs. -- When our natural relationship is restored -- sarvajna is a simple significant step, early along the path.

Om.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
Supramundane

Post by Supramundane »

as was stated earlier, we are in the state of five degenerations, and this makes sense on a political level. The world seems ripped apart by hatred like i have never seen before. I am a child of the Cold War and even though the world was polarized by Democracy/Communism at that time, hate was not a component. There were feelings of mistrust and fear, but not hate. In fact, funny thing, if you re-watch those old James Bond movies, the Russians were never the enemy. It always appeared that the USSR was behind some fiendish plot, but in the end it always turned out that it was Specter, some mad genius, etc. Ironic how the iconic cold war metaphor doesn't even include the Russians!

Now look where we are today: a world polarized 50/50 in almost every country along ideological/religious lines. the rise of the virtual world is perhaps the card that trumps everything: it signals the growth of the individual who will soon rise above all petty politics. Individual will have access to all knowledge, to all powers. There will be no more need to pander to the few Cambridge Dons who control access to education or 'elite status'; the requisite knowledge to become a captain of industry or science will be open to anyone with an internet connection. individuals can fund any project, conceive any project, seek like-minded people.

I'm not sure if it is separating us or uniting us: if you look at my dinner-time table, you would see my family all focused on different devices, alienated from each other. but it is uniting us on another level.

the potential for abuse is high, but the potential for good is even greater. The wisdom of the Boddhisatvas is more immediate and urgent than ever; without a moral/spiritual compass, i can see how people can become totally and irrevocably lost in the world of Maya.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Supramundane wrote:Now look where we are today: a world polarized 50/50 in almost every country along ideological/religious lines. the rise of the virtual world is perhaps the card that trumps everything: it signals the growth of the individual who will soon rise above all petty politics. Individual will have access to all knowledge, to all powers. There will be no more need to pander to the few Cambridge Dons who control access to education or 'elite status'; the requisite knowledge to become a captain of industry or science will be open to anyone with an internet connection. individuals can fund any project, conceive any project, seek like-minded people.
Cambridge Dons? Seriously? The internet is largely a cesspool of half digested facts, outright lies and complete and utter misinformed bollocks. I find it difficult to believe how it will save anybody from anything.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

'The sage does not contend. Therefore the sage cannot be contended with' ~ Tao Te Ching
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”