Preparing for Ordination

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Nyedrag Yeshe

Re: Preparing for Ordination

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Dharmasherab wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:51 pm Thanks everyone,

I am speaking from the viewpoint of lay Buddhists who are willing to optimise their practice in Buddhism prior to ordaining where they make that decision from their own will but at the same time to develop their practice well enough during their life so they can confidently make the decision of taking up robes and minimise the probability of any thoughts of looking back and disrobing.
In Tibetan Buddhis, a small closed retreat might be of much help. Many centers in the US and Europe offer closed reatreats with tuition with teachers! Garchen Institue is one of these, https://garchen.net/personal-retreats/
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
Dharmasherab

Preparing for Ordination in Seon

Post by Dharmasherab »

I am making this thread more on behalf of an online group and its potential members who would be Seon Buddhists rather than myself.

The questions is how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist in one’s practice prior to ordaining in the Seon school of Buddhism?

It is about collecting all types of ideas on how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist before making the decision of ordaining as a monastic as well as a lay ordained member in Seon with a view to making that a lifetime commitment (and not a trial). It is also about how to optimise one’s practice as a Buddhist before making the decision to ordain in Seon.

I hope to share these ideas with the online group because we are a group looking for all types of advice and suggestions for ordination and the way to prepare for Seon ordination will be of great benefit. But even otherwise people who are are thinking of ordaining in Seon in this forum might find the comments helpful.

I am aware there could be Seon monastics/priests/lay-ordained members who are highly aware of the difference between the lay life and monastic life and I will be very thankful for their advice. I can also appreciate there could be lay Seon Buddhists who are already optimizing themselves before ordination and I will be thankful for their tips and suggestions too.

Names of books, documents, websites, links to web articles and videos will be highly appreciated (as long as their within the boundaries of ToS).

Thank you.
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
Dharmasherab

Preparation for Ordination in Rinzai

Post by Dharmasherab »

I am making this thread more on behalf of an online group and its potential members who would be Rinzai Buddhists rather than myself.

The questions is how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist in one’s practice prior to ordaining in the Rinzai school of Buddhism?

It is about collecting all types of ideas on how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist before making the decision of ordaining as a monastic as well as a lay ordained member in Rinzai with a view to making that a lifetime commitment (and not a trial). It is also about how to optimise one’s practice as a Buddhist before making the decision to ordain in Rinzai.

I hope to share these ideas with the online group because we are a group looking for all types of advice and suggestions for ordination and the way to prepare for Rinzai ordination will be of great benefit. But even otherwise people who are are thinking of ordaining in Rinzai in this forum might find the comments helpful.

I am aware there could be Rinzai monastics/priests/lay-ordained members who are highly aware of the difference between the lay life and monastic life and I will be very thankful for their advice. I can also appreciate there could be lay Rinzai Buddhists who are already optimizing themselves before ordination and I will be thankful for their tips and suggestions too.

Names of books, documents, websites, links to web articles and videos will be highly appreciated (as long as their within the boundaries of ToS).

Thank you.
Dharmasherab

Preparation for Ordination in Soto

Post by Dharmasherab »

I am making this thread more on behalf of an online group and its potential members who would be Soto Buddhists rather than myself.

The questions is how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist in one’s practice prior to ordaining in the Soto school of Buddhism?

It is about collecting all types of ideas on how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist before making the decision of ordaining as a monastic as well as a lay ordained member in Soto with a view to making that a lifetime commitment (and not a trial). It is also about how to optimise one’s practice as a Buddhist before making the decision to ordain in Soto.

I hope to share these ideas with the online group because we are a group looking for all types of advice and suggestions for ordination and the way to prepare for Soto ordination will be of great benefit. But even otherwise people who are are thinking of ordaining in Soto in this forum might find the comments helpful.

I am aware there could be Soto monastics/priests/lay-ordained members who are highly aware of the difference between the lay life and monastic life and I will be very thankful for their advice. I can also appreciate there could be lay Soto Buddhists who are already optimizing themselves before ordination and I will be thankful for their tips and suggestions too.

Thank you.
Dharmasherab

Re: Preparation for Ordination in Soto

Post by Dharmasherab »

Suggestions and ideas will be very helpful. Thank you.
Dharmasherab

Re: Preparation for Ordination in Rinzai

Post by Dharmasherab »

Suggestions and ideas will be very helpful thank you.
Dharmasherab

Preparing for Ordination in Kagyu

Post by Dharmasherab »

I am making this thread more on behalf of an online group and its potential members who would be Kagyu Buddhists rather than myself.

The questions is how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist in one’s practice prior to ordaining in the Kagyu school of Buddhism? I am aware that in Kagyu just like most forms of Tibetan Buddhism there is non-monastic ordination (like Ngakpas) as well as monastic ordination and answers oriented towards either one or both these types of ordination will be mostly welcome.

It is about collecting all types of ideas on how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist before making the decision of ordaining as a monastic as well as a non-monastic ordained member in Kagyu with a view to making that a lifetime commitment (and not a trial). It is also about how to optimise one’s practice as a Buddhist before making the decision to non-monastic ordaination and monastic ordination in Kagyu.

I hope to share these ideas with the online group because we are a group looking for all types of advice and suggestions for ordination and the way to prepare for Kagyu ordination will be of great benefit. But even otherwise people who are are thinking of ordaining in Kagyu in this forum might find the comments helpful.

I am aware there could be Kagyu monastics/priests/non-monastic ordained members who are highly aware of the difference between the lay life and monastic life and I will be very thankful for their advice. I can also appreciate there could be lay Kagyu Buddhists who are already optimizing themselves before ordination and I will be thankful for their tips and suggestions too.

Thank you.
Dharmasherab

Preparing for Ordination in Sakya

Post by Dharmasherab »

I am making this thread more on behalf of an online group and its potential members who would be Sakya Buddhists rather than myself.

The questions is how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist in one’s practice prior to ordaining in the Sakya school of Buddhism? I am aware that in Sakya just like most forms of Tibetan Buddhism there is non-monastic ordination (like Ngakpas) as well as monastic ordination and answers oriented towards either one or both these types of ordination will be mostly welcome.

It is about collecting all types of ideas on how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist before making the decision of ordaining as a monastic as well as a non-monastic ordained member in Sakya with a view to making that a lifetime commitment (and not a trial). It is also about how to optimise one’s practice as a Buddhist before making the decision to non-monastic ordaination and monastic ordination in Sakya.

I hope to share these ideas with the online group because we are a group looking for all types of advice and suggestions for ordination and the way to prepare for Sakya ordination will be of great benefit. But even otherwise people who are are thinking of ordaining in Sakya in this forum might find the comments helpful.

I am aware there could be Sakya monastics/priests/non-monastic ordained members who are highly aware of the difference between the lay life and monastic life and I will be very thankful for their advice. I can also appreciate there could be lay Sakya Buddhists who are already optimizing themselves before ordination and I will be thankful for their tips and suggestions too.

Thank you.
Dharmasherab

Preparing for Ordination in Gelug

Post by Dharmasherab »

I am making this thread more on behalf of an online group and its potential members who would be Gelug Buddhists rather than myself.

The questions is how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist in one’s practice prior to ordaining in the Gelug school of Buddhism? I am aware that in Gelug just like most forms of Tibetan Buddhism there is non-monastic ordination (like Ngakpas) (please correct me if I am mistaken) as well as monastic ordination and answers oriented towards either one or both these types of ordination will be mostly welcome.

It is about collecting all types of ideas on how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist before making the decision of ordaining as a monastic as well as a non-monastic ordained member in Gelug with a view to making that a lifetime commitment (and not a trial). It is also about how to optimise one’s practice as a Buddhist before making the decision to non-monastic ordaination and monastic ordination in Gelug.

I hope to share these ideas with the online group because we are a group looking for all types of advice and suggestions for ordination and the way to prepare for Gelug ordination will be of great benefit. But even otherwise people who are are thinking of ordaining in Gelug in this forum might find the comments helpful.

I am aware there could be Gelug monastics/priests/non-monastic ordained members who are highly aware of the difference between the lay life and monastic life and I will be very thankful for their advice. I can also appreciate there could be lay Gelug Buddhists who are already optimizing themselves before ordination and I will be thankful for their tips and suggestions too.

Thank you.
Dharmasherab

Preparing for Ordination in Jonang

Post by Dharmasherab »

I am making this thread more on behalf of an online group and its potential members who would be Jonang Buddhists rather than myself.

The questions is how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist in one’s practice prior to ordaining in the Jonang school of Buddhism? I am aware that in Jonang just like most forms of Tibetan Buddhism there is non-monastic ordination (like Ngakpas) (please correct me if I am mistaken) as well as monastic ordination and answers oriented towards either one or both these types of ordination will be mostly welcome.

It is about collecting all types of ideas on how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist before making the decision of ordaining as a monastic as well as a non-monastic ordained member in Jonang with a view to making that a lifetime commitment (and not a trial). It is also about how to optimise one’s practice as a Buddhist before making the decision to non-monastic ordaination and monastic ordination in Jonang.

I hope to share these ideas with the online group because we are a group looking for all types of advice and suggestions for ordination and the way to prepare for Jonang ordination will be of great benefit. But even otherwise people who are are thinking of ordaining in Jonang in this forum might find the comments helpful.

I am aware there could be Jonang monastics/priests/non-monastic ordained members who are highly aware of the difference between the lay life and monastic life and I will be very thankful for their advice. I can also appreciate there could be lay Jonang Buddhists who are already optimizing themselves before ordination and I will be thankful for their tips and suggestions too.

Thank you.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Preparing for Ordination in Gelug

Post by Grigoris »

Duplicate topics littered across the board are not allowed. I have set up a single all encompassing topic in the Discovering Mahayana sub forum and have integrated all the other topics into this one. Thank you.

You may also want to refer to this thread.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

Actually its not about that. If about taking the broader view of ordination as well getting more specific information at the level of the schools within the continuum of Mahayana - Vajrayana. Because I am more likely to get asnwers which are specific to the schools of Buddhism as those who are part of a tradition are likely to be active in the respective sub-forums dedicated to the different schools and sects of Mahayana/Vajrayana.

The answers I receive are what really matters so I can relay that information to those that need it. I thought this was one of the main purpose behind forums such as this - to get suggestions and ideas from people on a general levels as well as a specific level.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

How many friends do you have seeking ordination and in how many lineages???

As Malcolm pointed out above: all Tibetan traditions (except for the unspoken of cult) have the same rules and procedures.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

Not a lot at the moment. For now in terms of the content shared in the group its mostly shifted towards Theravada. But I am trying to make the group as non-sectarian as possible and encompass all different sects and schools within the Mahayana - Vajrayana continuum. So that anyone who comes looking for helpful advice it can be readily available for them.

But I am not pushing moderators or admins to post what I want. And if this is the decision of the moderator then I am willing to respect that.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

For ordination in any Tibetan system there are some resources available from Thubten Chodron, FPMT, =field_topics%3A358] Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive and HH Dalai Lama however you shouldn't read about the vows before you take them and I've been told that reading them can cause obstacles in your plans.

And, if you want to ordain with the Dalai Lama you need to do a pre-ordination course.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”