[Tibetan Buddhism] Practices not requiring Empowerments

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Yanako

[Tibetan Buddhism] Practices not requiring Empowerments

Post by Yanako »

Hi, I've read that the Guru Rinpoche Mantra can be used without Empowerment with the effect of guiding you to a qualified teacher, is that true?
Is the mantra in that context supposed to be simply chanted without visualisation?

Are Chenrezig, Green Tara and White Tara exceptions too even for solitary practice?

Thanks. :namaste:
Simon E.

Re: [Tibetan Buddhism] Practices not requiring Empowerments

Post by Simon E. »

Why not acquaint yourself with the responsibilities you would take on in order to take Refuge with a teacher, which would widen your practice choices?
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

I don't know about the Vajra Guru Mantra but there are certainly Chenrezig, Tara and Medicine Buddha practices out there that don't require empowerment. Usually refuge is a minimum prerequisite.

You can't just practice any you come across though - it needs to be clear whether they need the lung or not.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Yanako

Post by Yanako »

Simon E. wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:52 pm Why not acquaint yourself with the responsibilities you would take on in order to take Refuge with a teacher, which would widen your practice choices?
Well to be honest, I hoped to be able to augment my chances to meet an authentic teacher thanks to that mantra.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Yanako wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:13 pm
Simon E. wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:52 pm Why not acquaint yourself with the responsibilities you would take on in order to take Refuge with a teacher, which would widen your practice choices?
Well to be honest, I hoped to be able to augment my chances to meet an authentic teacher thanks to that mantra.
It is probably quite easy to get a lung for a mantra, especially the very well known and widely used ones, online, by following streamed teachings.
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

I practiced vajra guru mantra without any empowerment, and also the 7 chapters prayers. I think sincerity and integrity is the most important. If really you feel a call in your heart, well, why would you say "no i can't express my devotion i have to wait". Guru Rinpoche is your own mind. If someone fear him, that's because they don't realise the Guru principle is inside. I practiced, and felt a connection.

After that i got an empowerment because the circonstances allowed it. And it's just obvious if one is sincere to catch the opportunity if it appears on your road.

I think empowerment is very important, of course, but sincerity and boddicitta is the most important. Why ? Because it allows your mind to merge with the mind of many gurus who vibrate at the same frequency. And then an inner alchemy can be produced while you practice and then apply the teachng in your life. And that's certainly one the most important "empowerment".
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Most practices in this page have instructions for people without empowerment
http://thubtenchodron.org/meditation/08-sadhana/

But still, you should do every effort to meet a capable teacher in person. And then, if not possible at the moment, check some teachers that give empowerments and teachings online such as Garchen Rinpoche and CNN.
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Soma999 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:26 pm I practiced vajra guru mantra without any empowerment, and also the 7 chapters prayers. I think sincerity and integrity is the most important. If really you feel a call in your heart, well, why would you say "no i can't express my devotion i have to wait". Guru Rinpoche is your own mind. If someone fear him, that's because they don't realise the Guru principle is inside. I practiced, and felt a connection.

After that i got an empowerment because the circonstances allowed it. And it's just obvious if one is sincere to catch the opportunity if it appears on your road.

I think empowerment is very important, of course, but sincerity and boddicitta is the most important. Why ? Because it allows your mind to merge with the mind of many gurus who vibrate at the same frequency. And then an inner alchemy can be produced while you practice and then apply the teachng in your life. And that's certainly one the most important "empowerment".
Yes, people should never lose the chance to create an auspicious connection with Dharma and Buddhahood, as long as the means are proper. To this, using mantras and prayers from sutras especially is quite safe!
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”