Practice for rain

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Malong

Practice for rain

Post by Malong »

Hi, does anyone know a practice to make rain fall ?

Thanks
Motova

Re: Practice for rain

Post by Motova »

To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

I'm guessing any yidam practice would work if you ask the dharmapalas to make it rain.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

I had one small cloud give me shade as i drove from Eastern Oregon to Western Utah once. At the time i could call in snakes as well as whales, but i cant do any of that stuff now. Wait i remember we called in rain when we were in Boy Scouts! for real. i think maybe it takes naïvety and/or innocence
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Five Element Prayer from Sampa Lhundrupma revealed by Chogyur Lingpa

SA-CHU ME-LUNG JUNG-WAI BAR-CHED-KYI
GYU-LU NYEN-CHING JIG-PAI DU-JUNG-TSHE
YID-NYI THE-TSHOM MED-PAR SOL-WA-DEB
OR-GYEN JUNG-WA ZHI-YI LHA-MOR-CHAY
JUNG-WA RANG-SAR ZHI-WAR THE-TSHOM-MED
OR-GYEN PE-MA JUNG-NAY-LA SOL-WA-DEB
SAM-PA LHUN-GYI DRUB-PAR JIN-GYI LOB

When hindrances from the elements of earth, water, fire, or air
Threaten to destroy [our] borrowed illusory bodies,
If [we] pray to [You] without doubt or hesitation,
Orgyen, [You with] the Goddesses of the Four Elements
Will pacify the elements naturally. [Of this there is, likewise,] no doubt.
Orgyen Pema Jungnay to You we pray.
Grant [Your] blessings that [all our] wishes be spontaneously accomplished.

Get the lung and then practice every day. If possible, seek and receive special additional mantra and visualization to append to this. When needed, say over and over again. I've seen it work when done in groups.

And/or, get the lung for and propitiate daily a Naga or Nagini Protector, such as Mi-gon Kar-po, Shankapali, and/or the Goddess of the Mississippi. Then, when needed, do that Protector's sol-kha (offering prayer) over and over again accompanied by appropriate offerings.

And/or get lung for Naga puja and/or Naga sang, keep up a regular practice on lu-theb (Naga offering) days, and then practice with elaborate offerings and many repetitions when needed.

Whenever one of my Teachers went somewhere, it would rain lightly when He first arrived. His students believe this was an offering from the local Nagas and Sa-dags (Lords of the Earth) Who were happy to have Him there.

When this same Teacher was a young man, He went on pilgrimage from Nepal to Mt. Kailash. There was a forest fire in one place He was traveling through. Because He was dressed as a Ngakpa, the locals asked if He could make it rain. He had never done this before. So He went into the local gompa and began practicing. After some time, He looked out the window and there was not a cloud in the sky. After some more time He looked again. Still nothing. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Then there was a small little cloud on the horizon moving towards the fire. Over time, this cloud grew and grew and finally became a rainstorm that put out the forest fire. The locals were suitably impressed, but my Teacher left quickly so there wouldn't be any hindrances to His pilgrimage. (When my Teacher told this story, there were lots of funny, self-deprecatory faces that I can't reproduce there of Him being worried and anxious as to whether His mantra were going to work.)

In one Ngakpa tradition I know, using a kangling (human thigh-bone "trumpet") from someone who was murdered by being stabbed with a knife/sword is an important samaya implement or accessory to rain-making.

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Where do you want it to rain? Are you experiencing a drought?
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Malong wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:39 am Hi, does anyone know a practice to make rain fall ?

Thanks
sangchöd
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

Prayer for Rain Sutra [請雨経] (Chin Ch’ing-yü-ching;  Shōu-kyō):
http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/dic/Content/P/90
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

You don't need to make rain fall.
Rain already falls, all by itself.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Motova

Post by Motova »

To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”