Importance of Memory in Dharma

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Motova

Re: Importance of Memory in Dharma

Post by Motova »

Pero wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:40 pm
I got Make It Stick some months ago but haven't read it yet. How do you find it?
It was great, definitely worth reading. Although
https://www.amazon.ca/Your-Memory-How-W ... E8YWQM6JSE is better, and has a lot of the information that https://www.amazon.ca/Make-Stick-Scienc ... E8YWQM6JSE has... I'll have to reread both (which I definitely will) and make some notes and compare them.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Thanks. I'll try to start reading it. Why do you think that Your Memory is better?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Motova

Post by Motova »

Pero wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:25 pm Thanks. I'll try to start reading it. Why do you think that Your Memory is better?
Because it had a lot of make it stick's information. I'd still recommend reading both, but if you choose one first or if you're really tight on cash then definitely go for your memory.
Motova

Post by Motova »

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/184590 ... UTF8&psc=1

I just finished this and recommend it. :smile:
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Motova, just curious, how will you make use of the information from that book? I've always found hypnosis and that sort of thing interesting, but was never really sure what to do with the information.
Namu Amida Butsu
Motova

Post by Motova »

Monlam Tharchin wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:54 am Motova, just curious, how will you make use of the information from that book? I've always found hypnosis and that sort of thing interesting, but was never really sure what to do with the information.
This book taught me that one can use emotion, sensory information, and imagination to bridge oneself to a past experience or memory. This can be done without hypnosis, but is much more effective in hypnosis. While focused and relaxed one is in trance, the guiding of one's relaxed focus with language (positive and present tense) and imagination would make that trance hypnosis.

If one uses mnemonics (memory techniques that convert information with imagination and associations into more memorable and accessible information) to learn something it will make that memory much more tangible so that one won't need to go into a deep trance to access it. In addition, living mindfully will also make one's past experience more tangible and accessible to the present.
pael

Post by pael »

dzoki wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:14 pm
Motova wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:38 pm How important is memory in practicing Dharma?
Do the practice and recitation ... Manjshurinamasamgiti tantra.
Does it need lung etc.?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

"Does it need lung etc.?"

yes
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Motova

Post by Motova »

I am having a lot of success memorizing paragraphs 4-5 words at a time through recall (cognitive scientists say on average we can only maintain 4-5 words in our short term memory).

First I do 5 successful recall repetitions, then 5 recall repetitions including the last words/sentences (up to about 4 sentences or 5-6 lines or 50-60 words).

Sometimes I can move to a whole sentence and skip the 5 (or 2-3) recalls if it's easy, and then I include the recalls of the prior words/sentences.

It's really effective, and until I develop a sophisticated mnemonic system I'll be using this or a better modified version.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”