Dharmakaya in Mahayana

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
steveb1

Dharmakaya in Mahayana

Post by steveb1 »

I have kind of skimmed scattered Dharmakaya references in various books, the "richest" of which was one volume by D.T. Suzuki. The notion continues to be mysterious to me, and I was hoping that some readers on here could refine a few points that are puzzling me.

My understanding is that the Dharmakaya is the most inclusive, "first" Buddha Body. It is unknowable to the human intellect and is manifested more "palpably" in the other two Bodies.

The Dharmakaya is not God, a god, or a divine Creator, yet it is described as the primal source of everything. Do I have this correct? Because if It is "the" Source, would It not also be the causal factor for Samsara and Samsara's associated limitations and sufferings?

Even if the Dharmakaya is not a creator, but is nonetheless "the Source", how is its activity explained, if not by creation? Does it express itself in, or as, a kind of serial "Emanation" as in the Kabbalah's conception of the Ein Sof, or in Gnosticism's conception of emanations derived from the Pleroma?

If anyone would care to address these questions, it would be much appreciated.
Malcolm

Re: Dharmakaya in Mahayana

Post by Malcolm »

steveb1 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:31 am I have kind of skimmed scattered Dharmakaya references in various books, the "richest" of which was one volume by D.T. Suzuki. The notion continues to be mysterious to me, and I was hoping that some readers on here could refine a few points that are puzzling me.

My understanding is that the Dharmakaya is the most inclusive, "first" Buddha Body. It is unknowable to the human intellect and is manifested more "palpably" in the other two Bodies.

The Dharmakaya is not God, a god, or a divine Creator, yet it is described as the primal source of everything. Do I have this correct? Because if It is "the" Source, would It not also be the causal factor for Samsara and Samsara's associated limitations and sufferings?

Even if the Dharmakaya is not a creator, but is nonetheless "the Source", how is its activity explained, if not by creation? Does it express itself in, or as, a kind of serial "Emanation" as in the Kabbalah's conception of the Ein Sof, or in Gnosticism's conception of emanations derived from the Pleroma?

If anyone would care to address these questions, it would be much appreciated.

:popcorn:
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Hi Steve - here is an OP on this question that might be a bit controversial but I really relate to

https://brightwayzen.org/resources/kyog ... ic-buddha/

I think the origin of Dharmakaya is the teaching ‘He that sees the Dharma sees Me.’
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
steveb1

Post by steveb1 »

Wayfarer wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:23 am Hi Steve - here is an OP on this question that might be a bit controversial but I really relate to

https://brightwayzen.org/resources/kyog ... ic-buddha/

I think the origin of Dharmakaya is the teaching ‘He that sees the Dharma sees Me.’
Thank you so very much - I will apply my attention to this interesting-looking article.

:)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Karma from a previous universe, avidya..ignorance is what 'created' samsara, so samsara is a unbroken chain until enlightenment, with no true beginning by my understanding. Now how the Dharma Kaya relates to or 'contains' samsara is an interesting question and not something I've seen specifically answered exactly. However, ultimately samsara and nirvana are nondual..so at the level of Dharma Kaya nothing is created or destroyed, nothing arises or ceases etc.

My hunch is that a ballpark answer is that samsara only sees itself, the whole creation/destruction etc. Thing -is- samsara, it's a way of seeing, or a limitation on seeing, not merely a collection of temporal and spatial phenomena. Nothing is actually created or destroyed, so there is nothing to 'emanate' from or to.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
doublerepukken

What is Dharmakaya?

Post by doublerepukken »

Hello all,

I have been coming across this concept several times in my exploration of Mahayana, and I am simply baffled as to what it is supposed to be. is the Dharmakaya essentially 'God' in Buddhism? A being that exists as the 'source' of all things seems to fit in very well conceptually with the Tao, or God or something similar, but I can't really find a clear explanation of this concept anywhere. I guess I am confused because initially I was informed that there is no concept of a creator, or supreme being in Buddhism, yet this seems to be exactly that (for instance, I read that it is said if the universe and all physical matter were destroyed, the Dharmakaya body would still exist... it is a being that is not conditioned, but how could it come to be without working its way through rebirth to Buddhahood?). It seems like something that wasn't created or 'born' but has always existed, and I guess I was under the impression there was nothing 'eternal' in Buddhist thought. Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Ethan
南無阿弥陀仏
なむ あみだ ぶつ
Namu Amida Butsu
krodha

Re: What is Dharmakaya?

Post by krodha »

Dharmakāya is the nature of your mind.
thecowisflying

Post by thecowisflying »

doublerepukken wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:44 am Hello all,

I have been coming across this concept several times in my exploration of Mahayana, and I am simply baffled as to what it is supposed to be. is the Dharmakaya essentially 'God' in Buddhism? A being that exists as the 'source' of all things seems to fit in very well conceptually with the Tao, or God or something similar, but I can't really find a clear explanation of this concept anywhere. I guess I am confused because initially I was informed that there is no concept of a creator, or supreme being in Buddhism, yet this seems to be exactly that (for instance, I read that it is said if the universe and all physical matter were destroyed, the Dharmakaya body would still exist... it is a being that is not conditioned, but how could it come to be without working its way through rebirth to Buddhahood?). It seems like something that wasn't created or 'born' but has always existed, and I guess I was under the impression there was nothing 'eternal' in Buddhist thought. Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Ethan
I guess the nature of phenomena, emptiness, is taught to be unborn since under analysis from Madhyamakas like Nagarjuna any dharma is found not be arisen.
steveb1

Post by steveb1 »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:32 am Karma from a previous universe, avidya..ignorance is what 'created' samsara, so samsara is a unbroken chain until enlightenment, with no true beginning by my understanding. Now how the Dharma Kaya relates to or 'contains' samsara is an interesting question and not something I've seen specifically answered exactly. However, ultimately samsara and nirvana are nondual..so at the level of Dharma Kaya nothing is created or destroyed, nothing arises or ceases etc.

My hunch is that a ballpark answer is that samsara only sees itself, the whole creation/destruction etc. Thing -is- samsara, it's a way of seeing, or a limitation on seeing, not merely a collection of temporal and spatial phenomena. Nothing is actually created or destroyed, so there is nothing to 'emanate' from or to.
Thank you for the clarifications. I'd mostly forgot about non-duality as well as Samsara being how we preceive things.
muni

Post by muni »

Between two thoughts, there is a gap, indescridable openess revealing.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Part of me wanted to take a picture of my shoe, upload it here, and ask "is this dharmakāya?". It might sound like a joke or like I would be mocking Buddhism, but that is a very real question/scandal, apparently, in (certain) "Buddhism(s)". Is dharmakāya also dharmadhātu? What is the difference between them?

Some teachers will give you a description of dharmakāya that includes all noumena within it.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

muni wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:17 am Between two thoughts, there is a gap, indescridable openess revealing.
🙏
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
krodha

Post by krodha »

Dharmakāya is not the space between two thoughts.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

krodha wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:19 pm Dharmakāya is not the space between two thoughts.
Yes, ChNNR points that out many times, it seems it is a relatively common mistake.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 am Is dharmakāya also dharmadhātu? What is the difference between them?
viewtopic.php?t=14172
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Natan

Post by Natan »

doublerepukken wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:44 am Hello all,

Ethan
Dharma, stuff happens. Kaya, where it happens
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:32 am Now how the Dharma Kaya relates to or 'contains' samsara is an interesting question and not something I've seen specifically answered exactly.
This is just a thought, so see what you think. Thrangu Rinpoche says:
All illusory appearances of condition existence are only an illusion they are only the result of a mistake, of a misapprehension of the truth, they are only a delusion..... When we speak about liberation it means the end of all mistakes the end of Illusion. What we need to do is awake and from this mistake which is like sleep. Or we can say to remove the mistake..... So we say "awakened" or cleared away" rather than "to remove or eliminate", because it is not a matter of taking away and external object, but is a matter of understanding our mistake, our illusion.
So this is how dharmakaya relates to samsara. Make the mistake and samsara is experienced, correct the mistake and dharmakaya is experienced.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
muni

Post by muni »

Aryjna wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:29 pm
krodha wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:19 pm Dharmakāya is not the space between two thoughts.
Yes, ChNNR points that out many times, it seems it is a relatively common mistake.
Nobody said "is".
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

muni wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:07 pm
Nobody said "is".
I did not say that you did say that in any case. But what relevance does the space between two thoughts have to this thread?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

muni wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:07 pm
Nobody said "is".
Sure you did:
Between two thoughts, there is a gap, indescridable openess revealing.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”