The Mahayana Is Not Diluted Theravada.

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Caoimhghín

Re: The Mahayana Is Not Diluted Theravada.

Post by Caoimhghín »

marting wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:39 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:53 pm
marting wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:09 pm

Would this be something you extrapolated on your own, or does the LS discuss four yanas?
No. This four yanāni business is wrong speech born of misunderstanding. The LS, like the Buddha, teaches a one vehicle path. Not two. Not three. Not four.
If the three are provisional, and one definitive in which you termed "Buddhayana," are you not proposing a fourth yana?
Nope. No fourth yāna. Neither is Queequeg, although it's not good to presume to speak for another person.

又言會三歸一.

"This is called taking the three and returning them to one." That is a paraphrase from Venerable Zhìyǐ. We are talking about two different interpretations of ekayāna at this point. The "one" is the three vehicles.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:40 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:53 pm The LS, like the Buddha, teaches a one vehicle path. Not two. Not three. Not four.
This is highly debatable, which is why there is debate about it.
Well, what that "one" path is, is the debate, isn't it?

It seems clear that there's "one" though. Whatever it is. The LS seems to go far out of its way in Ch 2 to do so.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:45 pm
DGA wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:02 pm Mahayana (which is the same as Ekayana)
And therein lies the controverted point: is the Mahāyāna the ekayāna?

When I read the LS, I see three provisional paths outlined and one definitive path.

The three provisional paths being pratyayasaṃbodhiyāna, śrāvakayāna,& bodhisattvayāna. I see one definitive path: buddhayāna, the ekayāna, found in all three.

Is bodhisattvayāna provisional, I suppose, is the question at hand?
Yes, I understand the Mahayana to be the ekayana. In the last analysis, the two terms are fungible into each other.

I don't think that the ekayana is found in all three provisional paths so much as all three provisional paths are means to the end of leading beings to Mahayana and hence Buddhahood. Maybe that is a distinction without a difference.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

DGA wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:11 pm

When I read the LS, I see three provisional paths outlined and one definitive path.

The three provisional paths being pratyayasaṃbodhiyāna, śrāvakayāna,& bodhisattvayāna. I see one definitive path: buddhayāna, the ekayāna, found in all three.

Yes, I understand the Mahayana to be the ekayana. In the last analysis, the two terms are fungible into each other.

I don't think that the ekayana is found in all three provisional paths so much as all three provisional paths are means to the end of leading beings to Mahayana and hence Buddhahood. Maybe that is a distinction without a difference.
Actually, if you follow Candra's logic, the one path is based on the fact that everyone realizes the dharmadhātu.
marting

Post by marting »

Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:21 pm
marting wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:39 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:53 pm
No. This four yanāni business is wrong speech born of misunderstanding. The LS, like the Buddha, teaches a one vehicle path. Not two. Not three. Not four.
If the three are provisional, and one definitive in which you termed "Buddhayana," are you not proposing a fourth yana?
Nope. No fourth yāna. Neither is Queequeg, although it's not good to presume to speak for another person.

又言會三歸一.

"This is called taking the three and returning them to one." That is a paraphrase from Venerable Zhìyǐ. We are talking about two different interpretations of ekayāna at this point. The "one" is the three vehicles.
Ah, thanks. Do you understand this as the three paths eventually ending in Buddhahood, or something else?
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

In the LS Ch2, the activities of the Buddhas, in teaching, is described as in responce to the needs of sentient beings, and is described as the application of 3-way distinction in a 1-way vehicle for liberation, in a loose paraphrase obv.

When you read "applies distinctions to the ekayāna, preaching as though it were triyāna" (paraphrase of 於一乘道、  隨宜說三 @
[0017b18], Watson has: "apply distinctions to the one buddha vehicle and preach as though it were three")
, do you read this as "applies distinctions to the Great Vehicle, preaching as though it were three?"

If so, how is the Great Vehicle an example of an applied distinction on itself?

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Here is the way Ekayana is understood in East Asian Lotus Traditions - namely Tiantai, Tendai, Nichiren.

There is one vehicle - the Buddhayana. In response to the needs of the various beings, the Buddha, employing upaya, teaches the Sravakayana, Pratyekabuddhayana, and Bodhisattvayana. The Sravakayana is characterized by the teaching of the Four Noble Truths, Eightfold Path, etc. what we usually associate with Hinayana. The Pratyekabuddhayana is characterized by wisdom of pratityasamutpada, particularly through the teaching of the 12 linked chain of causation. The Bodhisattvayana is characterized by the teaching on the Six Paramita and the gradual path of 3 eons. None of these is a real path; all three of these are upaya. They, in themselves, do not lead to annuttarasamyaksambodhi. Only the Buddhayana leads to annuttarasamyaksambodhi. These three vehicles lead along the path, but only incompletely. And actually, the Buddhayana encompasses these teachings, without any caveat, but these teachings do not encompass the Buddhayana. Neither do these teachings necessarily encompass each other. For instance, in some interpretations of the Bodhisattvayana, Sravaka, Pratyekabuddha, and Icchantika are precluded from ever attaining Buddhahood. Hence, that form of the Bodhisattvayana is called a Separate or Distinct teaching. All paths eventually lead to the pure Buddhayana, meaning, at some point, beings are told that the path they tread is upaya and that what they have always already been treading was the Buddhayana. That the three are provisional, and only the Buddhayana is real. This is the teaching called the Lotus. It is taught from time time, but not all the time.

In the third chapter of the Lotus Sutra, the Buddha tells the famous parable of the burning house. In short, a father finds his children obliviously playing in a burning house. He tries to get them out by pointing out the danger, but they don't listen. He contrives to tell them that there are goat, deer and ox carts outside, and if they would only come outside he would give each their own cart. The children come running out, but there are no carts. The father is happy because his children are safe, but now the children are demanding the carts. The father is then so happy he gives all the children great ox carts far beyond anything they expected and they ride off into the sunset.

The three carts that are promised are the sravakayana, pratyekabuddhayana, and bodhisattvayana. They don't actually exist. But, if people undertake these paths, they will be delivered from the burning house. Once they're out, the Buddha gives them the Buddhayana which is far beyond what they could have hoped for.

“O Śāriputra! You should know that the buddhas, with the power of skillful means, teach the single buddha vehicle, dividing and teaching it as three.”

Several other parables convey similar messages - for instance the parable of the phantom city.

The real controversy is about whether the Bodhisattvayana and the Buddhayana are actually the same. Both are referred to as Mahayana. However, in what is called the Honmon, or original gate teachings, meaning the second half of the Lotus Sutra, there comes a point when the assembly of bodhisattvas that includes Maitreya, Manjusri, Avalokitesvara, etc. etc., Bodhisattvas that are on the path of the six paramita, are stumped by a myriad of bodhisattvas who erupt out of the ground and which the Buddha identifies as his disciples since his enlightenment. Maitreya and the assembly cannot understand this, describing it like a young man introducing an old man as his son. This indicates that the bodhisattva who are the foremost in the assembly actually are limited. These bodhisattvas until that point still believe that Shakyamuni first attained enlightenment in Gaya.

This is where the bodhisattvayana is demonstrated to be an incomplete path - even Maitreya who is supposed to be the next Buddha doesn't realize that the path he treads is so limited.

In the next Chapter, the Buddha explains his life span which is understood to be eternal, and that all beings, are on this Buddhayana whether they realize it or not, all destined for Buddhahood. The Bodhisattvas don't even know the full scope of this path, let alone sravaka or pratyekabuddha.

I am sure there will be disagreement and critique, moaning about "This is not how the Indians understand it!"

All well and good. There really is nothing to argue about. This is it. This is fact. This is what Ekayana and the Three Vehicles means in East Asian Lotus discourse. Whatever you think about it is opinion.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:26 pm

Actually, if you follow Candra's logic, the one path is based on the fact that everyone realizes the dharmadhātu.
I don't see much daylight between the position you are describing, Malcolm, and the Tientai position.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

DGA wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:19 am

I don't see much daylight between the position you are describing, Malcolm, and the Tientai position.
The position is almost completely the same. I need to assemble some quotes but I see them as identical.

marting

Post by marting »

Thanks, Queequeg. :thumbsup:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 am

The position is almost completely the same. I need to assemble some quotes but I see them as identical.
An amusing image emerges:

Young Zhiyi reads Chandrakirti (in Kumarajiva's translation). He notices the passage Malcolm has referred to, including the reference to the Lotus Sutra.

Reflecting on this passage, he reflects on the significance of the Lotus Sutra (in Kumarajiva's translation) with regard to the various vehicles.

It's not difficult to envision this as the kernel for Zhiyi's thinking on ekayana, the five periods, the supremacy of the Lotus Sutra, and so on.

This is just speculation on my part. Some scholar with a serious interest in this topic could excavate it, though.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:15 am None of these is a real path; all three of these are upaya. They, in themselves, do not lead to annuttarasamyaksambodhi.
This is a questionable assertion. While it may accurately represent what the schools you mention maintain, it is not an easily defensible assertion.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:43 am
Queequeg wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:15 am None of these is a real path; all three of these are upaya. They, in themselves, do not lead to annuttarasamyaksambodhi.
This is a questionable assertion. While it may accurately represent what the schools you mention maintain, it is not an easily defensible assertion.
I'd like to go back to Qq's assertions. There are two.

1. the three yanas are not real paths in themselves, but are instead upaya. Means to an end. Hold that thought.

2. in themselves, they do not lead to annuttarasamyaksambodhi.

OK, if 1 is true, and I think it is, then you have to consider what the objective of that upaya may be. I think they are means to the end of bringing beings to the Mahayana, which does lead to annuttarasamyaksambodhi. This means the purpose and function of the three yanas is to lead beings to annuttarasamyaksambodhi.

To my mind, as of this moment, 2 must be false if 1 is true. All three lead to Mahayana and therefore to annuttarasamyaksambodhi. There's one Dharma path but different maps and landmarks, if that analogy makes sense.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding Qq's post and Malcolm's objection to it.

If I'm mistaken, I invite the gallery to set me right.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

DGA wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:42 am I think they are means to the end of bringing beings to the Mahayana, which does lead to annuttarasamyaksambodhi. This means the purpose and function of the three yanas is to lead beings to annuttarasamyaksambodhi.

To my mind, as of this moment, 2 must be false if 1 is true. All three lead to Mahayana and therefore to annuttarasamyaksambodhi. There's one Dharma path but different maps and landmarks, if that analogy makes sense.
How is the third vehicle, the bodhisattvayana, different from the Mahayana? From my reading of your comment, you seem to be asserting that these are two different yanas. No?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

DGA wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:40 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 am

An amusing image emerges:

Young Zhiyi reads Chandrakirti (in Kumarajiva's translation). He notices the passage Malcolm has referred to, including the reference to the Lotus Sutra.

Reflecting on this passage, he reflects on the significance of the Lotus Sutra (in Kumarajiva's translation) with regard to the various vehicles.

It's not difficult to envision this as the kernel for Zhiyi's thinking on ekayana, the five periods, the supremacy of the Lotus Sutra, and so on.

This is just speculation on my part. Some scholar with a serious interest in this topic could excavate it, though.
Indeed. However Zhiyi could not have read Candra.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:15 am These bodhisattvas until that point still believe that Shakyamuni first attained enlightenment in Gaya.
No, they don't. Whatever gives you this idea?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:15 am Here is the way Ekayana is understood in East Asian Lotus Traditions - namely Tiantai, Tendai, Nichiren.

There is one vehicle - the Buddhayana. In response to the needs of the various beings, the Buddha, employing upaya, teaches the Sravakayana, Pratyekabuddhayana, and Bodhisattvayana. The Sravakayana is characterized by the teaching of the Four Noble Truths, Eightfold Path, etc. what we usually associate with Hinayana. The Pratyekabuddhayana is characterized by wisdom of pratityasamutpada, particularly through the teaching of the 12 linked chain of causation. The Bodhisattvayana is characterized by the teaching on the Six Paramita and the gradual path of 3 eons. None of these is a real path; all three of these are upaya. They, in themselves, do not lead to annuttarasamyaksambodhi. Only the Buddhayana leads to annuttarasamyaksambodhi. These three vehicles lead along the path, but only incompletely. And actually, the Buddhayana encompasses these teachings, without any caveat, but these teachings do not encompass the Buddhayana. Neither do these teachings necessarily encompass each other. For instance, in some interpretations of the Bodhisattvayana, Sravaka, Pratyekabuddha, and Icchantika are precluded from ever attaining Buddhahood. Hence, that form of the Bodhisattvayana is called a Separate or Distinct teaching. All paths eventually lead to the pure Buddhayana, meaning, at some point, beings are told that the path they tread is upaya and that what they have always already been treading was the Buddhayana. That the three are provisional, and only the Buddhayana is real. This is the teaching called the Lotus. It is taught from time time, but not all the time.

In the third chapter of the Lotus Sutra, the Buddha tells the famous parable of the burning house. In short, a father finds his children obliviously playing in a burning house. He tries to get them out by pointing out the danger, but they don't listen. He contrives to tell them that there are goat, deer and ox carts outside, and if they would only come outside he would give each their own cart. The children come running out, but there are no carts. The father is happy because his children are safe, but now the children are demanding the carts. The father is then so happy he gives all the children great ox carts far beyond anything they expected and they ride off into the sunset.

The three carts that are promised are the sravakayana, pratyekabuddhayana, and bodhisattvayana. They don't actually exist. But, if people undertake these paths, they will be delivered from the burning house. Once they're out, the Buddha gives them the Buddhayana which is far beyond what they could have hoped for.

“O Śāriputra! You should know that the buddhas, with the power of skillful means, teach the single buddha vehicle, dividing and teaching it as three.”

Several other parables convey similar messages - for instance the parable of the phantom city.

The real controversy is about whether the Bodhisattvayana and the Buddhayana are actually the same. Both are referred to as Mahayana. However, in what is called the Honmon, or original gate teachings, meaning the second half of the Lotus Sutra, there comes a point when the assembly of bodhisattvas that includes Maitreya, Manjusri, Avalokitesvara, etc. etc., Bodhisattvas that are on the path of the six paramita, are stumped by a myriad of bodhisattvas who erupt out of the ground and which the Buddha identifies as his disciples since his enlightenment. Maitreya and the assembly cannot understand this, describing it like a young man introducing an old man as his son. This indicates that the bodhisattva who are the foremost in the assembly actually are limited. These bodhisattvas until that point still believe that Shakyamuni first attained enlightenment in Gaya.

This is where the bodhisattvayana is demonstrated to be an incomplete path - even Maitreya who is supposed to be the next Buddha doesn't realize that the path he treads is so limited.

In the next Chapter, the Buddha explains his life span which is understood to be eternal, and that all beings, are on this Buddhayana whether they realize it or not, all destined for Buddhahood. The Bodhisattvas don't even know the full scope of this path, let alone sravaka or pratyekabuddha.

I am sure there will be disagreement and critique, moaning about "This is not how the Indians understand it!"

All well and good. There really is nothing to argue about. This is it. This is fact. This is what Ekayana and the Three Vehicles means in East Asian Lotus discourse. Whatever you think about it is opinion.
This statement below is indefensible.
There is one vehicle - the Buddhayana. In response to the needs of the various beings, the Buddha, employing upaya, teaches the Sravakayana, Pratyekabuddhayana, and Bodhisattvayana. The Sravakayana is characterized by the teaching of the Four Noble Truths, Eightfold Path, etc. what we usually associate with Hinayana. The Pratyekabuddhayana is characterized by wisdom of pratityasamutpada, particularly through the teaching of the 12 linked chain of causation. The Bodhisattvayana is characterized by the teaching on the Six Paramita and the gradual path of 3 eons. None of these is a real path; all three of these are upaya. They, in themselves, do not lead to annuttarasamyaksambodhi.

And this can only be a rhetorical device at best
Maitreya, like Śākyamuni, is presently a nirmankāya, who will succeed Śākyamuni as the fifth in line of the 1002 buddhas of this fortunate eon. It is impossible for Maitreya to possess the ignorance you attribute to him. If Maitreya, a nirmankāya, possesses such ignorance, so does Śakyamuni, a nirmankāya. So that part of your narrative, friend is inconsistent. And save me the sermon about "The Buddha for this time and place." A nirmanak̄ya is a nirmanakāya is a nirmanakāya — they are either omniscient about the three times and everything in it, or they are not. Also, one can easily discover that Mañjuśrī attained full buddhahood countless eons ago, so claiming that he or any other bodhisattva belonging to the eight close sons, or even of the tenth bhumi were under the impression than Śākyamuni Buddha first attained buddhahood at Bodhgaya is totally ridiculous. It just means you ignore everything every other Mahāyāna sūtra has to say.

M
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:29 am Indeed. However Zhiyi could not have read Candra.
How so?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

DGA wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:15 pm
Malcolm wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:29 am Indeed. However Zhiyi could not have read Candra.
How so?
Candra lived in the 9th century.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:19 pm
DGA wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:15 pm
How so?
Candra lived in the 9th century.
Well, there's that.

I'd thought he was a closer contemporary to Aryadeva.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”