Are aversion and anger the same thing?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
LolCat

Are aversion and anger the same thing?

Post by LolCat »

I was contemplating about the suffering in the hot hell realms and mostly everywhere I see, anger or hatred is said to be the cause for birth in these realms. I have also seen aversion being used when describing feelings towards other people, rather than anger. I have a chronic condition and it is very common for me to feel physical pain everyday, and I would be lying if I said I don't feel any aversion towards it. Would this sort of aversion also be a cause for birth in the hell realms?
Sādhaka

Re: Are aversion and anger the same thing?

Post by Sādhaka »

Hatred = Not wanting a sentient being to be happy. Now sometimes we may feel so angry that we might feel what some would classify as hatred; but in such a situation if we check our intention and make sure that we at least wish a being to have happiness no matter how angry we are at them, then I don’t think it counts as actual hatred.

Anger = Showing or feeling an higher degree of frustration; which could be accompanied by hatred, or could be the showing or feeling of an higher degree of frustration without hatred.

Aversion = Dislike. Or dislike accompanied by anger, though usually not accompanied by hatred.
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

Thank you for that explanation, are there sanskrit/pali equivalents to those three words?
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

LolCat wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:40 pm Thank you for that explanation, are there sanskrit/pali equivalents to those three words?
Good question.

The above is more or less my own reasoning.

It would be interesting to see if there are Sanskrit or Pali equivalents that have precise meanings.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”