How to achieve a place of inner peace without becoming ordained?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
lmnels22

Post by lmnels22 »

Hello everyone,

I've recently become very interested in Buddhism in general as a way of gaining control over my mind and improving my overall peace and happiness and hopefully, through this, the peace and happiness of others as well.

I think my highest priority right now is achieving a mental place I can go to - a reserve of inner peace - when faced with challenges. At first, I thought the best way to do this was to be ordained as a nun, but I'm quickly realizing what an incredible commitment this is and how little I understand what that would really entail. Among many other obstacles that might prevent me from being ordained is the fact that I have a dog who I love to death and I don't believe I could give her up.

So my question is - from a Buddhist perspective, is there a way to achieve this permanent pocket of inner peace without being ordained? I would love to hear opinions. Thanks much.
Virgo

Re: How to achieve a place of inner peace without becoming ordained?

Post by Virgo »

Hi Imnels.

Through morality, we achieve a state of non-regret, and our mind becomes easeful. This is an important basis for śamatha meditation.

Through śamatha we further stabilize the mind (and yes it is possible to practice as a layperson). Based on śamatha, we can develop vipaśyanā which can uproot our defilements.

A mind that develops bodhicitta also becomes calm as one exchanges self-grasping with concern for others. When there is less self-grasping, we suffer less because we do not constantly judge things in relation to what we personally like and dislike.

Have you read any books on Budhism? You should read a bit, and also see if there are any centers in your area that come well-recommended.

Kevin...
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

lmnels22 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:41 pm So my question is - from a Buddhist perspective, is there a way to achieve this permanent pocket of inner peace without being ordained? I would love to hear opinions. Thanks much.
I agree with Kevin, the first step would be to learn more and maybe attend some teachings. This may be a good choice to start with https://www.amazon.com/No-Time-Lose-Tim ... 1590304241 The commentary in this book is directed to people who are complete beginners, but there are more detailed and traditional commentaries available too.

I would say that it is not about finding a pocket of inner happiness, but changing how you perceive things. But understanding and practicing the Mahayana leads to real and lasting happiness. Being a monk or nun, though it can be very advantageous under certain circumstances, is not always the best choice and there can be problems in monastic life as well as in worldly life. All kinds of worldly concerns and annoyances exist in monasteries as well, so someone who can be a good practitioner as a monk or nun can also be a good practitioner as a lay person. You can always go for periods of retreat when needed in any case, or choose to be ordained later if good circumstances are in place.
lmnels22

Post by lmnels22 »

Thanks for your reply. I meditate somewhat regularly, and I think it would be considered samatha meditation. But I could certainly practice more. Reading books and finding a center are great ideas. Thank you.
lmnels22

Post by lmnels22 »

Thanks for the reply and the book recommendation Aryjna. I'll be sure to check it out :)
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

I'd say go for it. I regret not ordaining while i was younger because now i have to struggle with health issues that probably came from NOT commiting to buddhism.

You don't have to understand it rationally really. Just ponder the rarity of human life compared to other beings, realize that most humans are doomed to eons of ignorance and jump ship while you can.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

One possible response may be:

YOU CANT!

Where is your mind now?
kausalya

Post by kausalya »

lmnels22 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:41 pm So my question is - from a Buddhist perspective, is there a way to achieve this permanent pocket of inner peace without being ordained? I would love to hear opinions. Thanks much.
It's about finding the causes and conditions for legitimate, long-lasting happiness, abandoning the causes and conditions for suffering, and pursuing the first.

First you find the pocket, you investigate how/why it's there, you relax your investigative mind for a moment, and it expands.

It's a personal journey you can make at any time. Ordination just makes it easier for some people, assuming they have the opportunity and the inclination to seek those particular circumstances.

Your mind is all the fuel you need, and it will never leave you. :smile:
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Virgo wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:45 pm Hi Imnels.

Through morality, we achieve a state of non-regret, and our mind becomes easeful. This is an important basis for śamatha meditation.

Through śamatha we further stabilize the mind (and yes it is possible to practice as a layperson). Based on śamatha, we can develop vipaśyanā which can uproot our defilements.

A mind that develops bodhicitta also becomes calm as one exchanges self-grasping with concern for others. When there is less self-grasping, we suffer less because we do not constantly judge things in relation to what we personally like and dislike.

Have you read any books on Budhism? You should read a bit, and also see if there are any centers in your area that come well-recommended.

Kevin...
:good:

Basically what I was going to post. If you take the very basic's of Buddhism very seriously and practice them very seriously, you will experience quite a bit of peace.

Especially Morality, Concentration/Mindfulness, Equanimity, and Compassion.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”