Universal Salvation

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
truthb

Universal Salvation

Post by truthb »

So my understanding is that in Mahayana thought- it is inevitable that all beings will be saved? is this accurate?
ford_truckin

Re: Universal Salvation

Post by ford_truckin »

The number of beings are said to be infinite so not possible.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

After Dharmakara made his 48 vows, he said:
Longer Amitabha Sutra wrote:My renown will spread in the ten directions.
If there are those who never hear my name,
I vow not to attain samyak-sambodhi.
He did indeed attain buddhahood.

Buddhas tirelessly reach and assist sentient beings.
But because awakening is realized and not bestowed, and because sentient beings are numberless and their afflictions inexhaustible, "eventually" isn't exactly the term I'd use.
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

Reciting the nembutsu and believing in birth in the Pure Land naturally give rise to the Three Minds and the Four Modes of Practice. -- Master Hōnen
TrimePema

Post by TrimePema »

Each being needs to seize enlightenment for themselves. Buddhas and Bodhisattvas have a lot of influence on others.
yan kong

Post by yan kong »

ford_truckin wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:01 pm The number of beings are said to be infinite so not possible.
This sentiment is indeed expressed in some traditions. I cannot accurately illuminate more than that. Hopefully one of the more educated members will happen along to explain it.
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

ford_truckin wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:01 pm The number of beings are said to be infinite so not possible.
Which is why it takes countless kalpa for one to reach enlightenment on the Bodhisattva path.

But you are missing the point: The point is to AIM to liberate all sentient beings, whether that is possible or not.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”