Open Deity vs. Private?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Tenma

Open Deity vs. Private?

Post by Tenma »

So, I get the entire idea that tantric deities like Vajrayogini and whatnot are restricted.

What I don't understand is, how is a simple practice such as the 108 names of Tara restricted when Tara is known to be an open deity of compassion? Though I understand some sadhanas might require empowerment, how is it that the 108 names or any simple prayer requires it? The same with any deity(for example, Manjushri and his 108 names).
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Open Deity vs. Private?

Post by Grigoris »

Tenma wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:44 am So, I get the entire idea that tantric deities like Vajrayogini and whatnot are restricted.

What I don't understand is, how is a simple practice such as the 108 names of Tara restricted when Tara is known to be an open deity of compassion? Though I understand some sadhanas might require empowerment, how is it that the 108 names or any simple prayer requires it? The same with any deity(for example, Manjushri and his 108 names).
Because their sources are from Tantra.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”