Buddhism and Parapsychology

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Grigoris
Site Admin

Re: Buddhism and Parapsychology

Post by Grigoris » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:57 pm

Thank you!

:twothumbsup:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:13 pm

Is not the treatise between buddhism and parapsychology the human mind from wench they arise?

Bristollad

Post by Bristollad » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 am

tkp67 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:13 pm
Is not the treatise between buddhism and parapsychology the human mind from wench they arise?
wench: a young woman

whence: means from where so strictly speaking from whence would be incorrect because it would mean from from where. But that construction is very common and has been for a long time (a few hundred years).

But I don't think you meant from a young woman
Or maybe you did...
:rolling:

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:53 pm

Bristollad wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 am
tkp67 wrote:

whence: means from where so strictly speaking from whence would be incorrect because it would mean from from where. But that construction is very common and has been for a long time (a few hundred years).

Or maybe you did...
Lol most definately whence. I knew it didn't look right but it spell checked and I accepted it as accurate.

Humility is a good trait I must have needed the reminder, ty.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:43 am

:coffee:
Re: spell checkers ... viewtopic.php?f=92&t=1426&p=497993#p497993

:D
Kim

:focus:

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:51 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:43 am
:coffee:
Re: spell checkers ... viewtopic.php?f=92&t=1426&p=497993#p497993

:D
Kim

:focus:
:lol:
I know nothing. This is not false modesty.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:59 am

Bristollad wrote:
tkp67 wrote:

Or maybe you did...
In one sense all human minds arise at least in part from wenches... :smile:

It’s a word that always reminds me of my grandmother. Originally as you say it was simply simply the Saxon word for a young unmarried woman, but it took on more negative associations over the centuries, so if my gran disapproved of one of the young women in the neighbourhood she would refer darkly to “ that wench”...

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:00 am

Bristollad wrote:
tkp67 wrote:

Or maybe you did...

It’s a word that always reminds me of my grandmother. Originally as you say it was simply simply the Saxon word for a young unmarried woman, but it took on more negative associations over the centuries, so if my gran disapproved of one of the young women in the neighbourhood she would refer darkly to “ that wench”...

Bristollad

Post by Bristollad » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:45 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:00 am
Bristollad wrote:
tkp67 wrote:

Or maybe you did...

Yes, my mother always used it in the sense of the type of young woman who would come to the pub on her own, or with one beau but leave with a different one after last orders, at least slightly the worse for wear (i.e. drunk). She used to chide my sister that she’d get the reputation for being a wench if she even arranged to meet her boyfriend at the pub, rather than him coming to the house to meet her, and then going to the pub together.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:09 pm

Yup.....my was from an enormous family, she was born in Trowbridge, her youngest sisters were not much older than me, Nan would say to my aunts “ are you going to the pictures with that wench? with narrowed eyes and a suspicious air...

Grigoris
Site Admin

Post by Grigoris » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:15 pm

Seems to me that this one has run it's course.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”