Page 3 of 3

Re: Buddhism and Parapsychology

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:57 pm
by Grigoris
Thank you!

:twothumbsup:

Re: Buddhism and Parapsychology

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:13 pm
by tkp67
Is not the treatise between buddhism and parapsychology the human mind from wench they arise?

Re: Buddhism and Parapsychology

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 am
by Bristollad
tkp67 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:13 pm
Is not the treatise between buddhism and parapsychology the human mind from wench they arise?
wench: a young woman

whence: means from where so strictly speaking from whence would be incorrect because it would mean from from where. But that construction is very common and has been for a long time (a few hundred years).

But I don't think you meant from a young woman
Or maybe you did...
:rolling:

Re: Buddhism and Parapsychology

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:53 pm
by tkp67
Bristollad wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 am
tkp67 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:13 pm
Is not the treatise between buddhism and parapsychology the human mind from wench they arise?
wench: a young woman

whence: means from where so strictly speaking from whence would be incorrect because it would mean from from where. But that construction is very common and has been for a long time (a few hundred years).

But I don't think you meant from a young woman
Or maybe you did...
:rolling:
Lol most definately whence. I knew it didn't look right but it spell checked and I accepted it as accurate.

Humility is a good trait I must have needed the reminder, ty.

Re: Buddhism and Parapsychology

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:43 am
by Kim O'Hara
:coffee:
Re: spell checkers ... viewtopic.php?f=92&t=1426&p=497993#p497993

:D
Kim

:focus:

Re: Buddhism and Parapsychology

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:51 am
by Simon E.
Kim O'Hara wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:43 am
:coffee:
Re: spell checkers ... viewtopic.php?f=92&t=1426&p=497993#p497993

:D
Kim

:focus:
:lol:

Re: Buddhism and Parapsychology

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:59 am
by Simon E.
Bristollad wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 am
tkp67 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:13 pm
Is not the treatise between buddhism and parapsychology the human mind from wench they arise?
wench: a young woman

whence: means from where so strictly speaking from whence would be incorrect because it would mean from from where. But that construction is very common and has been for a long time (a few hundred years).

But I don't think you meant from a young woman
Or maybe you did...
:rolling:
In one sense all human minds arise at least in part from wenches... :smile:

It’s a word that always reminds me of my grandmother. Originally as you say it was simply simply the Saxon word for a young unmarried woman, but it took on more negative associations over the centuries, so if my gran disapproved of one of the young women in the neighbourhood she would refer darkly to “ that wench”...

Re: Buddhism and Parapsychology

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:00 am
by Simon E.
Bristollad wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 am
tkp67 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:13 pm
Is not the treatise between buddhism and parapsychology the human mind from wench they arise?
wench: a young woman

whence: means from where so strictly speaking from whence would be incorrect because it would mean from from where. But that construction is very common and has been for a long time (a few hundred years).

But I don't think you meant from a young woman
Or maybe you did...
:rolling:
In one sense all human minds arise at least in part from wenches... :smile:

It’s a word that always reminds me of my grandmother. Originally as you say it was simply simply the Saxon word for a young unmarried woman, but it took on more negative associations over the centuries, so if my gran disapproved of one of the young women in the neighbourhood she would refer darkly to “ that wench”...

Re: Buddhism and Parapsychology

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:45 pm
by Bristollad
Simon E. wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:00 am
Bristollad wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 am
tkp67 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:13 pm
Is not the treatise between buddhism and parapsychology the human mind from wench they arise?
wench: a young woman

whence: means from where so strictly speaking from whence would be incorrect because it would mean from from where. But that construction is very common and has been for a long time (a few hundred years).

But I don't think you meant from a young woman
Or maybe you did...
:rolling:
In one sense all human minds arise at least in part from wenches... :smile:

It’s a word that always reminds me of my grandmother. Originally as you say it was simply simply the Saxon word for a young unmarried woman, but it took on more negative associations over the centuries, so if my gran disapproved of one of the young women in the neighbourhood she would refer darkly to “ that wench”...
Yes, my mother always used it in the sense of the type of young woman who would come to the pub on her own, or with one beau but leave with a different one after last orders, at least slightly the worse for wear (i.e. drunk). She used to chide my sister that she’d get the reputation for being a wench if she even arranged to meet her boyfriend at the pub, rather than him coming to the house to meet her, and then going to the pub together.

Re: Buddhism and Parapsychology

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:09 pm
by Simon E.
Yup.....my was from an enormous family, she was born in Trowbridge, her youngest sisters were not much older than me, Nan would say to my aunts “ are you going to the pictures with that wench? with narrowed eyes and a suspicious air...

Re: Buddhism and Parapsychology

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:15 pm
by Grigoris
Seems to me that this one has run it's course.