"Book Guru"?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
mariel.hespanhol

"Book Guru"?

Post by mariel.hespanhol » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:38 pm

I'm a begginer in Buddhism from Brazil. For now I've had teachings only from books, online lectures, group discussions and retreats with Lama Padma Samten's students. (Padma Samten is a Lama from Brazil that has a great student's web that allows those study groups and small retreats to happen under his supervision.) I also feel very conected with Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche among all alive teachers that I know at least a little. However, I do not have a personal Guru-discipule relationship with any of them. Despite that, can I see them as my Gurus? What would it shift in my everyday practices?
Thanks a lot
Que todos os seres possam se beneficiar _/\_

Sādhaka

Re: "Book Guru"?

Post by Sādhaka » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:25 am

If you feel a connection to a Nyingmapa Lama, then maybe you could have a picture of them or visualize them and say the outer Guru Mantra of Padmasambhava (it’s famous, so it would be easy to find if you don’t know what it is already).
The Bodhicittasopashika & The bsgrags pa skor gsum

/forum

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:55 pm

Many great yogis and yoginis in the past have felt great devotion and heart-felt longing for a Guru they had not yet met. This suggests a strong past-life karmic connection. Some great practitioners have Gurus Whom they have met only in dream of waking vision. So I agree that you can/should post a picture of this Guru on your shrine and pray to this Guru. If the Guru is a real Guru, you will receive His or Her blessings. In this case, you can certainly say, "I feel like/I believe So-and-so is my Guru."
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

TrimePema

Post by TrimePema » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:56 am

mariel.hespanhol wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:38 pm
I'm a begginer in Buddhism from Brazil. For now I've had teachings only from books, online lectures, group discussions and retreats with Lama Padma Samten's students. (Padma Samten is a Lama from Brazil that has a great student's web that allows those study groups and small retreats to happen under his supervision.) I also feel very conected with Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche among all alive teachers that I know at least a little. However, I do not have a personal Guru-discipule relationship with any of them. Despite that, can I see them as my Gurus? What would it shift in my everyday practices?
Thanks a lot
It can also be helpful to do the Calling the Lama from Afar while praying with the intention to come face to face with your karmic link Guru in this lifetime.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:30 am

If a person has faith in a guru and studies their books, it's good.

Just don't become a student of Baidu Rinpoche.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”