How to Wear Buddhist Robe?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Gaia9

How to Wear Buddhist Robe?

Post by Gaia9 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:05 am

Hello fellow walkers of the spiritual path,

Does anyone know where I can get instructions on how to where a 9 piece Buddhist saffron robe?

Thanks,
Gaia
Last edited by Miroku on Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correcting the thread name.

Dhammanando

Re: How to Wear Buddhist Robe?

Post by Dhammanando » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:15 pm

Gaia9 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:05 am
Does anyone know where I can get instructions on how to where a 9 piece Buddhist saffron robe?
There are videos on youtube which demonstrate the different styles of wearing the robes. But these are chiefly aimed at monks who are planning to move from one country to another (e.g., Taiwan to Korea, or Sri Lanka to Myanmar) and wish to master the different robe-wearing technique that prevails in their new place of residence.

If you are planning to get ordained yourself, then you'll be instructed on how to wear the robes on your ordination day. Under no circumstances should you put on a robe before then. If you do so, though you may not technically be guilty of "communion by theft" (steyasaṃvāsa), you will run the risk of being accused of this and might on that account be refused ordination. Mahayana abbots (especially East Asian ones) are known for taking quite a severe view of this.

Gaia9

Post by Gaia9 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:27 am

Dhammanando wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:15 pm
Gaia9 wrote:
There are videos on youtube which demonstrate the different styles of wearing the robes. But these are chiefly aimed at monks who are planning to move from one country to another (e.g., Taiwan to Korea, or Sri Lanka to Myanmar) and wish to master the different robe-wearing technique that prevails in their new place of residence.

If you are planning to get ordained yourself, then you'll be instructed on how to wear the robes on your ordination day. Under no circumstances should you put on a robe before then. If you do so, though you may not technically be guilty of "communion by theft" (steyasaṃvāsa), you will run the risk of being accused of this and might on that account be refused ordination. Mahayana abbots (especially East Asian ones) are known for taking quite a severe view of this.
Right right... It's disrespectful to flaunt the garments without being ordained.

I'll keep looking on the tube. Videos are surprisingly scarce and the videos I do find all seem a bit different and are somewhat hard to follow with the eyes alone. I was thinking of wearing my robe for my Gnostic videos, just to get into the spirit of it you know?

Are you ordained yourself? If so, how did you pursue/receive this and what monastery and tradition are you part of?

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:33 pm

Gaia9 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:27 am
Right right... It's disrespectful to flaunt the garments without being ordained.
The problem is not just that it's disrespectful. If someone passes themselves off as a Buddhist monk or nun when they are not one, then the penalty in all three surviving Vinaya lineages would be a lifetime ban on receiving an actual ordination. It's regarded as the equivalent of a defeating offence.

So, if you go making videos of yourself wearing a "a 9-piece Buddhist saffron robe" even if you don't mean to deceive anyone, you will still be exposing yourself to the suspicion of doing so.
Gaia9 wrote:
I'll keep looking on the tube. Videos are surprisingly scarce and the videos I do find all seem a bit different and are somewhat hard to follow with the eyes alone. I was thinking of wearing my robe for my Gnostic videos, just to get into the spirit of it you know?
I'm afraid I don't know!

It's really rather mystifying why someone making Gnostic videos would feel a need to dress up like a Buddhist monk or nun. If you're a Gnostic, why not dress up like Dositheus the Samaritan or Marcion of Sinope or Mme. Blavatsky?
Gaia9 wrote:
Are you ordained yourself? If so, how did you pursue/receive this and what monastery and tradition are you part of?
Theravada bhikkhu, ordained at Wat Benchamabophitr, Bangkok.

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:49 pm

Gaia9 wrote:
May I just say one thing? That is, if you value and/or respect Buddhism and Buddharma, please do not wear those robes. It won't help you in any way and what is worse it might mislead people. Be yourself.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:45 pm

Gaia9 wrote:

Thanks,
Gaia
Tashi delek,

Do you become a monk ?

If yes, then you must go first to a tailor in S:E: Asia or Nepal / India in case of Tibetan Monks.

S,E.Asian monks have different monk robes than those from Tibetan Spiritual TRaditions.
One reason for this is the climate.

The tailor knows exactly what will be the size of your monk robes.
He buys also the cotton with the right color.
Don´t accept the new plastic mixed cotton......

That tailor mostly does not want a loan for his work, because it is + karma to serve a monk.

It is forbidden for the tailor to make the robes bigger than the person is.
The tailor can tell you exactly how you have to dress yourself.

With the Monk Robes one goes to the abbot.
He gives permission and then you can get dressed.
Then your hair is cut and you have to make your vows.

If you do not become a monk, it is senseless to wear these robes.

A monk is not a monk because he wears Monk Robes
A Monk is a monk if he/she follows the Vinaya exactly how it should be.

So before to be a monk study first the Vinaya / Monk conduct
Try to live in that way for 3 months or 1 year.
If you like it than become a monk.

Enlightenment is for monks and non monks possible
The SE Asian mentality / insight here is different.
Have heard from my Thai girlfriend that Enlightenment is only for Monks possible in Thailand

In the Tibetan Spiritual Traditions this is for everybody possible........... :thinking:
The best meditation is no meditation

Gaia9

Post by Gaia9 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:34 am

It's really rather mystifying why someone making Gnostic videos would feel a need to dress up like a Buddhist monk or nun. If you're a Gnostic, why not dress up like Dositheus the Samaritan or Marcion of Sinope or Mme. Blavatsky?

[/quote]

Hm, that is severe indeed. Well, I thought the robe looked nice and the eastern traditions are considered to be "Gnostic" nowadays... I shall hold it in case I decide to pursue ordination.

Gaia9

Post by Gaia9 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:44 am

kalden yungdrung wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:45 pm
Gaia9 wrote:

Thanks,
Gaia
Tashi delek,

Do you become a monk ?

If yes, then you must go first to a tailor in S:E: Asia or Nepal / India in case of Tibetan Monks.

S,E.Asian monks have different monk robes than those from Tibetan Spiritual TRaditions.
One reason for this is the climate.

The tailor knows exactly what will be the size of your monk robes.
He buys also the cotton with the right color.
Don´t accept the new plastic mixed cotton......

That tailor mostly does not want a loan for his work, because it is + karma to serve a monk.

It is forbidden for the tailor to make the robes bigger than the person is.
The tailor can tell you exactly how you have to dress yourself.

With the Monk Robes one goes to the abbot.
He gives permission and then you can get dressed.
Then your hair is cut and you have to make your vows.

If you do not become a monk, it is senseless to wear these robes.

A monk is not a monk because he wears Monk Robes
A Monk is a monk if he/she follows the Vinaya exactly how it should be.

So before to be a monk study first the Vinaya / Monk conduct
Try to live in that way for 3 months or 1 year.
If you like it than become a monk.

Enlightenment is for monks and non monks possible
The SE Asian mentality / insight here is different.
Have heard from my Thai girlfriend that Enlightenment is only for Monks possible in Thailand

In the Tibetan Spiritual Traditions this is for everybody possible........... :thinking:
I appreciate the detail and insight into this process of robe wearing. It's all very interesting.

Alright then, I will hold it for now.

humble.student

Post by humble.student » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:00 pm

Gaia9 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:34 am

Hm, that is severe indeed. Well, I thought the robe looked nice and the eastern traditions are considered to be "Gnostic" nowadays... I shall hold it in case I decide to pursue ordination.
[/quote]

If you want to play fancy dress without breaking the precepts (and compromising your future ordination) you could always just get yourself a Chinese haiqing robe, technically not Buddhist apparel, but commonly worn by both laypeople and monastics for ceremonial purposes. It's actually an ancient Chinese ceremonial robe, as it was considered unbecoming for monks - and especially nuns - to be going about with one shoulder and arm uncovered. Plus the formal aspect adds an air of gravitas to the proceedings, like wearing a morning suit, I suppose.

You'll also appreciate the passing resemblance to the OTO robes with the large sleeves:

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:29 pm

Yeah, or you can wear what me and my friends wear during our intensive meditation retreats.

:coffee:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:45 am

Gaia9 wrote:
Hm, that is severe indeed.
Well, sorry about that, though my aim was actually to be clear rather than severe.
Gaia9 wrote:
Well, I thought the robe looked nice
Indeed! Don Marquis's Hermione apparently thought so too.
THE SWAMI BRANDRANATH

I HEARD such a lovely lecture the other night on the Cosmos.

A Little Group of Advanced Women that I belong to are specializing this winter on the Cosmos.

We took it up, you know, because the other topics we were studying included it so frequently.
And it's wonderful, really WONDERFUL!

Of course, an untrained mind will grapple with it in vain.
One's interest must be serious and sincere.
One must devote time to it.,

Otherwise one will get more harm than good out of it, you know.

It's like the Russian dances that way.

They are so primal, those dances!
And all those primal things are dangerous, don't you think?
Unless one has poise!

It's odd, too, that some of the most primal people have the most poise, isn't it?

The Swami Brandranath was like that.
I've told you bout the Swami Brandramath, haven't I?

He wore such lovely robes! You can't buy silk like that in this country.

And he had such a PURE look in this eyes.
So many of these magnetic people lack that pure look, you know.

He used to give talks to a Little Group of Serious Thinkers I belong to.
He taught us to go into the Silences — only we never quite learned, for some of the girls would giggle.
There are always people like that. The dear Swami! — he was so patient!
It was Occidental levity, he said, and we couldn't help it.

That is one of the main differences between the
Orient and the Occident, you know.
How wonderful they are, the Orientals.
And just think of India, with all its yogis and bazaars and mahatmas and howdahs and rajahs and things!

He was a Brahmin, the Swami was.
A Brahmin and a Burman are the same thing, you know.

It's a caste, like belonging to one of our best families.

The Swami explained about the marks of caste, and so forth, to us.

And then one of the girls asked him if he was tattooed!

The idea!

Hermione's Little Group of Serious Thinkers

Jen1975

Post by Jen1975 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:22 am

Miroku wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:29 pm
Yeah, or you can wear what me and my friends wear during our intensive meditation retreats.

:coffee:
Thank you the information, very interesting to me. Many years ago I took what I though was ordination with a Chinese Esoteric school, and was given robes similar to those in a burgundy colour, to wear at the temple and when performing rites. At the time I knew next to nothing about buddhist practice or guru devotion, and did not know that being offering instant ordination without prior learning and instruction was not right.

Your post has lead me to question if the ordination was genuine and if not can I take teachings with another school? I am very drawn to Lama Jampa Thaye of the sakya lineage, his books have clarified many misguided ideas I had.

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:43 am

Jen1975 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:22 am
Thank you the information, very interesting to me. Many years ago I took what I though was ordination with a Chinese Esoteric school, and was given robes similar to those in a burgundy colour, to wear at the temple and when performing rites. At the time I knew next to nothing about buddhist practice or guru devotion, and did not know that being offering instant ordination without prior learning and instruction was not right.

Your post has lead me to question if the ordination was genuine and if not can I take teachings with another school? I am very drawn to Lama Jampa Thaye of the sakya lineage, his books have clarified many misguided ideas I had.
I chose the shirt just randomly as a joke to show that there is no need for robes.

I don't know about your ordination. Definetly good idea for a new topic, so go for it. As for taking teachings from Lama Jampa Thaye ... go for it he seems to be a good teacher.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”