Blessings for rebirth in Sukhavati

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
cjdevries

Blessings for rebirth in Sukhavati

Post by cjdevries » Tue May 26, 2020 2:02 am

What are some effective ways to plant blessings for rebirth in Sukhavati? Does anyone have any advice on any temples that have helped others cultivate or helped loved ones attain rebirth to Sukhavati?
"Without the mud, there is no lotus possible" -Thich Nhat Hanh
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Blessings for rebirth in Sukhavati

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue May 26, 2020 8:11 am

cjdevries wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:02 am
What are some effective ways to plant blessings for rebirth in Sukhavati? Does anyone have any advice on any temples that have helped others cultivate or helped loved ones attain rebirth to Sukhavati?
Hm, not really a temple but watching sunset motivates me/inspires me to pray for rebirth in Sukhavati. The red and golden light are great supports for the visualization. Just two cents. I hope somebody answers this properly as it is a really interesting question.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Steel

Post by Steel » Tue May 26, 2020 7:09 pm

Simple faith in the Primal Vow is more than sufficient for rebirth.

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Thu May 28, 2020 6:08 pm

:anjali:
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Sun May 31, 2020 2:30 am

I just thought of the Jangwa puja. It looks like Emaho Foundation offers a Jangwa puja and the Land of Medicine Buddha offers a yearly Jangwa puja around November. If you want to add a loved ones name to the puja next year, I would recommend checking out this website around September: https://landofmedicinebuddha.org/servic ... -deceased/

Jangwa has the potential to shorten one's stay in the lower realms once they are there; as well as lessening the suffering one is experiencing in the lower realms; it also helps one to be reborn in a pure land or in the deva or human realms. I believe Jangwa also helps spirits who are stuck and haven't been able to be reborn.

Here is information on the Jangwa puja that Emaho Foundation does: https://emahofoundation.org/programs/pujas.html

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman » Sun May 31, 2020 1:38 pm

cjdevries wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:02 am
if u can determine and fix others rebirth, then why should I practice sila, panna and samadhi? I can sit simply instead

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Sun May 31, 2020 7:12 pm

Here is some information I found from a group that offers support chanting within 12 hours after loved one dies to help them be reborn in Sukhavati (Amitabha's Western Pure Land): https://www.yanqing.net/ipadma

They are in Singapore. I believe you can call their number right after loved one dies and they will start chanting within 12 hours and they will chant for up to 8 hours. If you call from U.S., the number would be: 011 65 9088 9048 (This includes the U.S. exit code, etc.)

Matt J

Post by Matt J » Sun May 31, 2020 11:32 pm

I have been told that whatever habits we cultivate in life, we fall back on those habits in the bardos. So if you want to reach Sukhavati for yourself, you should habitually cultivate Amitabha practices.

For others, I suppose you have Zhitro and Phowa. Here is a nice summary from Dza Kilung Rinpoche:

https://www.pemakilaya.org/wp-content/u ... eath-.pdf
"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:21 am

Information on Jangwa puja from Emaho foundation:

The tantric practice of JANGWA is used when somebody has recently died for transferring their consciousness to a Pure Land. It is important to purify also the bones and ashes by means of JANGWA practice for people who have recently passed away. This practice can liberate beings from the lower realms and can benefit those who are in the intermediate state on their way to a lower rebirth (by activating the positive karma that leads to rebirth in the human realm or a Pure Land). In that way, those beings have a chance once again to meet the Dharma. JANGWA is a skillful tantric practice of purification using the power of mantra, the power of concentration, and the power of Buddha's words of truth.

This puja uses recitation and chanting of the JANGWA practice associated with the Medicine Buddha, and ash purification practice of Buddha Aksobhya. Creation of a ritual cake (Torma) is required for offering to the deities.

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:53 am

Emaho Foundation says they are not setup to do Jangwa right now. They have no place to perform fire pujas right now.

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:03 pm

Matt J wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:32 pm
I have been told that whatever habits we cultivate in life, we fall back on those habits in the bardos. So if you want to reach Sukhavati for yourself, you should habitually cultivate Amitabha practices.

For others, I suppose you have Zhitro and Phowa. Here is a nice summary from Dza Kilung Rinpoche:

https://www.pemakilaya.org/wp-content/u ... eath-.pdf
What is bardo? isnt rebirth instant?

Matt J

Post by Matt J » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:47 pm

In Tibetan Buddhism, it is taught that when one dies, there is a period of time after the death of the current body and the birth of the next body. There are three bardos: the painful bardo of dying, the peaceful bardo of dharmata, and the bardo of becoming. During the bardo of dharmata, experienced practitioners are able to become stable in their practice and enter thukdam. During thukdam, the person is "dead" but they do not decompose or enter any kind of rigor mortis. This may last from a few minutes or hours to days and weeks.
"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:02 am

Contemplation Sutra wrote:If good men or women simply hear the Name of this buddha [Amitāyus Buddha] or the names of those two bodhisattvas [Avalokiteśvara Bodhisattva & Mahāsthāmaprāpta Bodhisattva], the evil karma that would bind them to birth and death for innumerable kalpas will be extinguished.
And so, how much more merit will they acquire if they concentrate on them! You should know that all who are mindful of that buddha are like white lotus flowers among humankind; Avalokiteśvara Bodhisattva and Mahāsthāmaprāpta Bodhisattva become their good friends. They will sit in the seat of enlightenment and be born into the family of the buddhas.
link (p. 112 in the PDF)
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

Reciting the nembutsu and believing in birth in the Pure Land naturally give rise to the Three Minds and the Four Modes of Practice. -- Master Hōnen

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”