Zennichimaro

Minobu

Zennichimaro

Post by Minobu » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:37 pm

I'm not much up on Japanese linguistics.
Reading today Queequeg's post on Nichiren Shonin's BDay i noticed his birth name Zennichimaro, and recalled Sensai ikeda's pen name in human revolution books ,Shinichi Yamamoto.
Is there some sort of play on words here? Or coincidence. Is this a clue as to who Sensei Ikeda might be?

do the characters reflect a deeper meaning, in Japanese .

Coëmgenu

Re: Zennichimaro

Post by Coëmgenu » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:51 pm

Minobu wrote:I'm not much up on Japanese linguistics.
Reading today Queequeg's post on Nichiren Shonin's BDay i noticed his birth name Zennichimaro, and recalled Sensai ikeda's pen name in human revolution books ,Shinichi Yamamoto.
Is there some sort of play on words here? Or coincidence. Is this a clue as to who Sensei Ikeda might be?

do the characters reflect a deeper meaning, in Japanese .
From a cursory glance at the two words, it looks like the phoneme "nichi" is the only thing they have in common. Zennichimaro is spelled 善日麿. If Shinichi Yamamoto has 日, which I assume might be read "nichi", there might be a small connection. But I am not Japanese myself, so maybe other people will know.
並畢竟空。並如來藏。並實相。非三 而三三而不三。非合非散而合而散。非非合非非散。不可一異而一異。
All three truths are ultimately empty, all are tathāgatagarbha, all are true aspect. Not three, they are three; three, they are not three. Neither combined nor separated, neither uncombined nor unseparated. Neither same nor different, yet in a sense same, and in a sense different.

夫三諦者。 天然之性徳也。 中諦者。 統一切法。 眞諦者。 泯一切法。 俗諦者。 立一切法。
The three truths. Heaven-sent natural characteristics. The middle truth unifies all dharmas. The ultimate truth demolishes all dharmas. The conventional truth establishes all dharmas.

摩訶止観始終心要Móhēzhǐguān, Shǐzhōngxīnyào.

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Re: Zennichimaro

Post by Admin_PC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:27 pm

I looked for you and it appears not to be the case.
In this link for the Soka Gakkai Songbook, it gives the following:
作詞:山本 伸一(本名:池田 大作)
Lyrics by: Yamamoto Shinichi (Real Name: Ikeda Daisaku)

伸 or "Shin" at the beginning is the character for "expand, stretch, extend".
一 or "ichi" at the end of a name usually denotes first born (almost always used for a son).
月影の いたらぬ里は なけれども 眺むる人の 心にぞすむ
法然上人