Josei Toda

ananda

Josei Toda

Post by ananda »

I created this thread because I wanted to know more about Josei Toda. From what I have gathered so far the man was a mystic who tried to bring spirituality to the masses in a way compatible with working life. Like shortening gongyo and telling them to chant to get things. I remember reading a tidbit of his Lectures on the Sutra on the internet and how he mentioned chanting for a Cadillac or something along those lines. Before I probably thought to myself , well geez that's pretty materialistic! But then I thought about his target audience who were everyday people and now I feel like hmm actually maybe that was a good expedient means to help draw people towards spirituality. Then perhaps after chanting for material stuff and feeling discontent with things they'd chant for abstract qualities like courage or the power to love oneself.

Anyways to know more I'd probably have to read the Human Revolution books but I was hoping that maybe there's more outside of that. Any insights and commentary on the man would be appreciated! I could pore through his Lectures on the Sutra but I felt like this would be a quicker and a more interesting way to get answers. In addition to understand more about the man I'd like to know more about his insights on life.
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: Josei Toda

Post by narhwal90 »

Its an interesting question- I would also be interested in outside perspectives. The Human Revolution and related SGI pubs are fine as such but are the "official" perspective and only a part of the story. I hope the polemics can be avoided...
gohonzon

Post by gohonzon »

http://www.JoseiToda.org by Soka Gakkai :twothumbsup:
The Dai-Gohonzon of the High Sanctuary of the Essential Teachings is Legally owned & cared for exclusively by the Nichiren Shoshu Orthodox Temple Priesthood. — vowed Temple members are called "Hokkeko". :applause:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

ananda wrote:I created this thread because I wanted to know more about Josei Toda. From what I have gathered so far the man was a mystic who tried to bring spirituality to the masses in a way compatible with working life. Like shortening gongyo and telling them to chant to get things. I remember reading a tidbit of his Lectures on the Sutra on the internet and how he mentioned chanting for a Cadillac or something along those lines. Before I probably thought to myself , well geez that's pretty materialistic! But then I thought about his target audience who were everyday people and now I feel like hmm actually maybe that was a good expedient means to help draw people towards spirituality. Then perhaps after chanting for material stuff and feeling discontent with things they'd chant for abstract qualities like courage or the power to love oneself.

Anyways to know more I'd probably have to read the Human Revolution books but I was hoping that maybe there's more outside of that. Any insights and commentary on the man would be appreciated! I could pore through his Lectures on the Sutra but I felt like this would be a quicker and a more interesting way to get answers. In addition to understand more about the man I'd like to know more about his insights on life.
Given that he's long dead, reading his lectures is probably the closest you can get to him, particularly his insights on life. If you can meet people who knew him and learned from him directly, that might give you some insight, but those people are disappearing, too. Anything else, including Human Revolution, is certainly an abstraction.

I would not call the guy a mystic. I think calling him a mystic demeans the path of Buddhism and makes him into an "other", something outside and beyond ourselves. What he did was utterly ordinary, and I would argue that is where his greatness is to be found. As Nichiren remarked, "The purpose of the appearance in this world of Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, lies in his behavior as a human being." And that is the same for all Hokke Gyoja (Practitioners of the Lotus Sutra).

Nichiren often emphasized the consequences of being willfully ignorant of the Sublime Dharma; this approach was appropriate for the time and place. Toda elected to emphasize the reward of taking refuge in the Sublime Dharma. In particular, he nominally emphasized the material rewards for a Japanese population trying to rebuild life from the rubble of total war; they had just lived through hell and there was no need to tell them about the consequences of following false teachings. That said, Toda was hardly limited to teaching material gain.

If you go and read his lectures, you'll find he emphasized much more profound teachings. The promise of a Cadillac was for people preoccupied with having nothing. His actual teaching had to do with the awakening he had in prison. It was not a "mystic" experience. Its an experience open to anyone who earnestly and devotedly follows the path of NMRK.

If you're going to read the Human Revolution, I recommend getting a hold of the original versions.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

This is Mr. Toda's finest works on Nichiren's Teachings

http://www.geocities.ws/chris_holte/Bud ... l#contents

There are numerous accounts of Toda's words in Buddhism in Action Vol 1-7

A Great Man and Mystical indeed! His vision was unusual and profoundly motivating.

His Greatest Achievement was the compilation of Nichiren Daishonin's Gosho Zenshu which is now being translated Worldwide in many different languages.
A فوتاري أوف ذي غوهونزون أوف نام ميوهو رينج كيو
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

for me he was a man of principal and went to prison for his beliefs...
not your ordinary fellow.

after the war he was a tremendous help to hundred of thousands of people , and he helped them onto the platform of Lotus Buddhism for ever.
I guess he did not know about what we know today about stuff like the dai gohonzon and the eternal buddha...but his times were different and pressing life and death matters were dealt with...prosperity ensued and people's faith grew...

really a marvel and a True Bodhisattva accomplished his mission.
loved by all..served the priesthood of his sect.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

JazzIsTvRicky wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:06 am
His Greatest Achievement was the compilation of Nichiren Daishonin's Gosho Zenshu which is now being translated Worldwide in many different languages.
i guess he did not know about the fake ones and other fake news.

I bet if he did it would never have got to first base..he had integrity and guts.
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

Minobu wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:10 am

I bet if he did it would never have got to first base..he had integrity and guts.
Once again you come ‘Without Sutra in Hand’ or any proof of your accusations of ‘Fake ones’!

Prove to us which of Nichiren’s Teachings which are recognized by Nichiren Shoshu are Fake!

I am asking you to provide documents and actual evidence of your declaration!

Provide the almost 12000 who are interested and deeply studying The Debate on Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects proof of your unsubstantiated statements concerning The Gosho Zenshu and The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin which are available online and in bookstores!

Nothing you offer is backed by any substantial evidence other than your own personal views! :shrug:
Sincerely
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

JazzIsTvRicky wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:40 pm

Once again you come ‘Without Sutra in Hand’ or any proof of your accusations of ‘Fake ones’!

Prove to us which of Nichiren’s Teachings which are recognized by Nichiren Shoshu are Fake!

Provide the almost 12000 who are interested and deeply studying The Debate on Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects proof of your unsubstantiated statements concerning The Gosho Zenshu and The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin which are available online and in bookstores!

Nothing you offer is backed by any substantial evidence other than your own personal views! :shrug:
Sincerely
well i will ask you this then..
are all gosho published by Gakki proven to be authentic?
Is the Dai gohonzon really everything it is claimed to be.
did Gakki change their mind on either of these questions.
Do you believe in the whole Buddha of Kuon Ganjo thing ?

answer those in your own words before dictating that you know everything and are 100% correct.

Gakki views changed dude...edicts are now fake. they no longer teach the high priset of Nichiren shoShu is a treasure or that the dai gohonzon is a secret law.

so how much of this have you changed in your thinking and view.

what did you believe to be true and now fake?

all are watching for a non politician style answer from you.

cheers
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

Minobu wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Sincerely

answer those in your own words before dictating that you know everything and are 100% correct.

Gakki views changed dude...edicts are now fake. they no longer teach the high priset of Nichiren shoShu is a treasure or that the dai gohonzon is a secret law.

cheers
Prove your accusations and declaration My Friend! :shrug:

Nothing you offer is backed by any substantial evidence other than your own personal views! :tantrum:
Sincerely
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

JazzIsTvRicky wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:11 pm
Minobu wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Sincerely

cheers
Prove your accusations and declaration My Friend! :shrug:

Nothing you offer is backed by any substantial evidence other than your own personal views! :tantrum:
Sincerely
they are not accusations...they are historic fact that you cannot deny...
Toda did not know at the time .
The gakki had to disregard certain Shoshu fake teachings.
you believed in those at one time...now you don't

you deflect from others inquiries and repudiate your self at every posting.

once you repudiate your own being you are in trouble.
big time..
seek the truth and it will set you free
drop the fanatical copy paste nothing posting and stop repudiating your very person.
Bois de Santal

Post by Bois de Santal »

Just as a point of perspective - 12,000 people are neither interested in nor studying the 'The Debate on Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects ' thread.

There have been around 11,600 accumulated page views of around 250 messages. I don't know the implementation details, but 11,600 divided by 250 gives us around 46 people, assuming each person read each message just once. My guess is that the number that have read each posting is much, much less, but the total number that have eyeballed the thread at least once will be greater. I think it would be generous to say that the thread is being followed by even a hundred people.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I removed some posts containing personal attacks and the responses to them.
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

Bois de Santal wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:54 pm
Just as a point of perspective - 12,000 people are neither interested in nor studying the 'The Debate on Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects ' thread.

There have been around 11,600 accumulated page views of around 250 messages. I don't know the implementation details, but 11,600 divided by 250 gives us around 46 people, assuming each person read each message just once. My guess is that the number that have read each posting is much, much less, but the total number that have eyeballed the thread at least once will be greater. I think it would be generous to say that the thread is being followed by even a hundred people.
I am so happy you broke this down scientifically and that so many people are now learning Nichiren’s True Teachings by studying Gongyo as Practiced by Nichiren Buddhism Sects which Mr. Josei Toda Lectures On profusely!

viewtopic.php?t=23047

Return to “Soka Gakkai/SGI”