A red Gohonzon?

dharmapdx

A red Gohonzon?

Post by dharmapdx »

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Maybe this person just used a special wash. I'm not aware of any on Instagram that will turn something red. Is SGI now issuing red Gohonzon in some countries? ( sorry. Hope this isn't a dumb waste-of-space question.)
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: A red Gohonzon?

Post by narhwal90 »

:) I think h3ll will freeze over before any of the Nikko lineages publish a red gohonzon. That said, there are a variety of colors and media used in many original gohonzons, obviously various types of wood and paper but also dyed silk. Some of the latter were retouched with various bits of artwork, lovely creations- some of them are shown in the Mandala workshop books.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

apologies if this question is misplaced.

Is there a thread here at DW that describes the different kinds of Gohonzon, and the significance of the differences?

if not, maybe one should be created, because I think that would be useful to the community overall.

Thanks.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Looks green to me.

JK

That's probably an image filter.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

DGA wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:08 am apologies if this question is misplaced.

Is there a thread here at DW that describes the different kinds of Gohonzon, and the significance of the differences?

if not, maybe one should be created, because I think that would be useful to the community overall.

Thanks.

The topic has come up in a bunch of threads. In summary, the old Nichiren's Coffeehouse pages have scans of a number of Nichiren originals (modulo whatever doubts as to authenticity may exist)

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/nic ... u/001.html

Many of them have additional comentary, note that some of the pages contain links to "Saikakudoppo's blog". Happily many if not all of those links are still alive. If you paste the respective link into google translate then its often possible to glean some meaning from the usual sort of machine translation babble.

Nichiren's designs establish the traditional format, though of many different sizes ie painted. Some are more controversial than others. Formats and content evolved gradually after his death.

The Nichiren Mandala Workshop has a 3 volume printed set which documents a much bigger collection, including gohonzon created by his followers; some of those are colored and decorated. The mandala books also detail controversies, questions of authenticity, copies, inventories by temple and so on.

https://nichirenmandala.weebly.com/bookstore.html

For those not inclined to buy the books, the online newsletter and essays also have some of the images.

Return to “Soka Gakkai/SGI”