Is this a Nichiren Shu omamori?

dharmapdx

Is this a Nichiren Shu omamori?

Post by dharmapdx »

I was given this several years ago at the temple but I'm not sure what it is. Is this the Nichiren Shu omamori?
Attachments
IMG_9005.JPG
IMG_9005.JPG (125.3 KiB) Viewed 7443 times
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Is this a Nichiren Shu omamori?

Post by Queequeg »

Some kind of good luck omamori.
Not clear where this comes from, as best I can tell. I asked my wife and she couldn't figure it out either. It looks like the kind of omamori you get from a shrine or temple. I'll ask around some more.

It appears to have been given to a 40 year old man.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

On the right side is a line from the 22nd chapter of the Lotus Sutra - "We will do as the Bhagavat directs us." Spoken by the Bodhisattvas of the Earth in response to the Buddha's entrustment of the Lotus Sutra.
On the left is a reference to some sort of Morning Star retreat.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

On the right side is a line from the 22nd chapter of the Lotus Sutra - "We will do as the Bhagavat directs us." Spoken by the Bodhisattvas of the Earth in response to the Buddha's entrustment of the Lotus Sutra.
On the left is a reference to some sort of Star retreat, maybe Morning Star.
Down the middle on the bottom part is some invocation for protection by the star this year.
dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx »

Thank you very much for answering this question. That means a lot to me. Yes, that 40-year-old male is me. It was given to me by Rev. Myosho Obata at the Nichiren Shu temple in Portland. Pictures of me with her enclosed. (I hesitate to post these pictures because I have gone on and on about how dysfunctional the Portland Temple was. I hope that anyone who reads my comments will understand that I never attributed any of the dysfunction to Rev. Obata herself. In fact, shortly before I left the temple for good I wrote an impassioned 10-page handwritten letter to the main headquarters detailing the various problems I had encountered at the temple -- most of which I attributed to a husband and wife team that ran the board of directors. I ended my letter by writing, "Rev. Obata is attempting to do her job, but isn't being allowed to!" Shortly after the new minister came over from Japan, and Rev. Obata returned to Japan, there was a notice in the newsletter saying that the husband and wife had "stepped down." I got a feeling that that was a polite way of putting it….)
Attachments
E5FBCCCF-BD5A-4006-A300-B99A526C2FEF.jpg
E5FBCCCF-BD5A-4006-A300-B99A526C2FEF.jpg (416.59 KiB) Viewed 7376 times
dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx »

Speaking of Nichiren Shu omamori…. Look at these great pictures from current eBay auction. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-NICHIREN- ... 3025056878

Note: I am in no way affiliated with this auction and I’m not “advertising” it. Like many people, I have mixed feelings about gohonzon being sold on eBay. But I have to admit that it can be interesting to browse what they have for sale, because it can be a good history lesson.
Attachments
38FC52DF-3517-4D0F-B6F6-7F25CB7250E6.jpeg
38FC52DF-3517-4D0F-B6F6-7F25CB7250E6.jpeg (48.66 KiB) Viewed 7079 times

Return to “Nichiren Shu”