Reidan

markatex

Reidan

Post by markatex »

I've participated in the Reidan service a couple of times, and would like to be more familiar with it than I am. I keep meaning to contact one of the ministers who are trained in it, but I am far away from both of them.

QQ, do have any familiarity with this practice?
markatex

Re: Reidan

Post by markatex »

Here is some info on Reidan from the Seattle temple's website: http://seattlebuddhist.org/reidan.html
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Hi Mark, I'm sorry, I don't.
I would be interested to hear more about it. It sounds like something from the Toki Jonin lineage based at Hokekyo-ji.
QQ
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
markatex

Post by markatex »

Possibly. I don't really know anything about the lineages in Nichiren Shu. What makes it seem like a practice that originated with that lineage?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

This is just my impression. That lineage seems to have tapped into Japanese ascetic traditions. For instance, they are the lineage that started the 100 day aragyo practice which enables priests to conduct kito blessings. I understand it's now practiced widely in Nichiren Shu. Japanese asceticism is probably best exemplified by yamabushi who combine Buddhism, particularly tantric Buddhism with indigenous mountain religion. Tendai has a close association with yamabushi practice and they have a well known kaihogyo practice on Hiei which clearly draws on Yamabushi influence. I believe the ascetic traditions also include reidan type practices.

Nichiren Shu Aragyo
Tendai Kaihogyo
Yamabushi Shugyo
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

markatex wrote:Here is some info on Reidan from the Seattle temple's website: http://seattlebuddhist.org/reidan.html
unreal!
I've always suspected this as such. and tended to try and turn if all off due to GAKKI input on such "Mystical" matters.

of course it'a my Karma , and well just reading this tells me IT has changed a little.

thanks to everyone who participates here.

Return to “Nichiren Shu”