Preparation for Ordination in Nichiren Shu

Dharmasherab

Preparation for Ordination in Nichiren Shu

Post by Dharmasherab »

I am making this thread more on behalf of an online group and its potential members who would be Nichiren Shu Buddhists rather than myself.

The questions is how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist in one’s practice prior to ordaining in the Nichiren Shu school of Buddhism?

It is about collecting all types of ideas on how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist before making the decision of ordaining as a monastic as well as a lay ordained member in Nichiren Shu with a view to making that a lifetime commitment (and not a trial). It is also about how to optimise one’s practice as a Buddhist before making the decision to ordain in Nichiren Shu.

I hope to share these ideas with the online group because we are a group looking for all types of advice and suggestions for ordination and the way to prepare for Nichiren Shu ordination will be of great benefit. But even otherwise people who are are thinking of ordaining in Nichiren Shu in this forum might find the comments helpful.

I am aware there could be Nichiren Shu monastics/priests/lay-ordained members who are highly aware of the difference between the lay life and monastic life and I will be very thankful for their advice. I can also appreciate there could be lay Nichiren Shu Buddhists who are already optimizing themselves before ordination and I will be thankful for their tips and suggestions too.

Names of books, documents, websites, links to web articles and videos will be highly appreciated (as long as their within the boundaries of ToS).

Thank you.
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Preparation for Ordination in Nichiren Shu

Post by kirtu »

Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
markatex

Re: Preparation for Ordination in Nichiren Shu

Post by markatex »

I'm not sure if Kanse is still popping in here now and then, but he is a shami (novice) in Nichiren Shu. I'm afraid I don't know specifics, but I know that becoming a priest in Nichiren Shu is a long process, and there's a high attrition rate. It requires a lot of time, money, and travel (there are exams that must be taken, but can only be done in Japan, and the final 30-day training takes place at the head temple at Minobu in Japan). And that's after you find a priest who's willing to take you on as a student. I don't know what their specific criteria are (and I suspect it's different for every priest), but I would imagine they'd have to see that you were a pretty devoted lay believer at least.

Return to “Nichiren Shu”