Preparation for Ordination in Nichiren Shoshu

Dharmasherab

Preparation for Ordination in Nichiren Shoshu

Post by Dharmasherab »

I am making this thread more on behalf of an online group and its potential members who would be Nichiren Shoshu Buddhists rather than myself.

The questions is how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist in one’s practice prior to ordaining in the Nichiren Shoshu school of Buddhism?

It is about collecting all types of ideas on how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist before making the decision of ordaining as a monastic as well as a lay ordained member in Nichiren Shoshu with a view to making that a lifetime commitment (and not a trial). It is also about how to optimise one’s practice as a Buddhist before making the decision to ordain in Nichiren Shoshu.

I hope to share these ideas with the online group because we are a group looking for all types of advice and suggestions for ordination and the way to prepare for Nichiren Shoshu ordination will be of great benefit. But even otherwise people who are are thinking of ordaining in Nichiren Shoshu in this forum might find the comments helpful.

I am aware there could be Nichiren Shoshu monastics/priests/lay-ordained members who are highly aware of the difference between the lay life and monastic life and I will be very thankful for their advice. I can also appreciate there could be lay Nichiren Shoshu Buddhists who are already optimizing themselves before ordination and I will be thankful for their tips and suggestions too.

Names of books, documents, websites, links to web articles and videos will be highly appreciated (as long as their within the boundaries of ToS).

Thank you.
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
CedarTree

Re: Preparation for Ordination in Nichiren Shoshu

Post by CedarTree »

Dharmasherab wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:42 pm I am making this thread more on behalf of an online group and its potential members who would be Nichiren Shoshu Buddhists rather than myself.

The questions is how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist in one’s practice prior to ordaining in the Nichiren Shoshu school of Buddhism?

It is about collecting all types of ideas on how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist before making the decision of ordaining as a monastic as well as a lay ordained member in Nichiren Shoshu with a view to making that a lifetime commitment (and not a trial). It is also about how to optimise one’s practice as a Buddhist before making the decision to ordain in Nichiren Shoshu.

I hope to share these ideas with the online group because we are a group looking for all types of advice and suggestions for ordination and the way to prepare for Nichiren Shoshu ordination will be of great benefit. But even otherwise people who are are thinking of ordaining in Nichiren Shoshu in this forum might find the comments helpful.

I am aware there could be Nichiren Shoshu monastics/priests/lay-ordained members who are highly aware of the difference between the lay life and monastic life and I will be very thankful for their advice. I can also appreciate there could be lay Nichiren Shoshu Buddhists who are already optimizing themselves before ordination and I will be thankful for their tips and suggestions too.

Names of books, documents, websites, links to web articles and videos will be highly appreciated (as long as their within the boundaries of ToS).

Thank you.
If it's just about being "ordained" rather than a tradition (I have seen the posts on dhammawheel, and the other ones here ranging from shingon, etc.) than it won't last long.

Best advice, find a path you have some karmic affinity with and practice. Your vow and or calling(s) will open up. It's not so concrete. Life is dynamic and alive.

Best of luck friend :anjali:

Practice, Practice, Practice
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

CedarTree wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:45 pm If it's just about being "ordained" rather than a tradition (I have seen the posts on dhammawheel, and the other ones here ranging from shingon, etc.) than it won't last long.

Best advice, find a path you have some karmic affinity with and practice. Your vow and or calling(s) will open up. It's not so concrete. Life is dynamic and alive.

Best of luck friend :anjali:
Thanks for that advice. But as I have mentioned in the post the post is not only about me but more importantly to people who will be joining my group on social media who could be Nichiren Buddhists that are interested in ordination. We are just collecting ideas on preparing for ordination on a generic level as well on a tradition-specific level so everyone who joins the group will benefit from what is shared there.

Yes it is true I did post on other sub-forums specific to other types of Buddhism. But I would like to get ideas from the Nichiren Shoshu point of view within this sun-forum.

:anjali:
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
gohonzon

Post by gohonzon »

Ordination? To become an ordained Priest in Nichiren Shoshu?

You are too late. Training starts at Twelve years old, as what Nichiren Daishonin did. (Exception: Some prominent Hokkeko families send in their kids at six years old.) Not all of these priestly trainings last, a lot of them quit once they see that they cannot handle the physical demands of their training.

You have the option to join as an ordinary member. Not ordained, but as a Hokkeko member. If you want leadership, join the Kanji board in a temple.

Regarding your inquiry on dreams of becoming a Nichiren Shoshu Ordained priest, Pray to return as Hokkeko in your next lifetime and be born into Hokkeko parents that would send you off to become a priest at an early age.

There are no such thing as "Lay Ordained Member". Other religions do that, the Head Temple does not. You're welcome.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Apparently there is an alternative way to become a N. Shoshu priest.
That is an ad from a Shoshu publication. Rough translation of the right panel:

1. Application requirements:
Males 18-25 years old.
2. Written application: temple name.
3. Application deadline: 1/5/2018.
4. Interview date: 1/25-1/26 2018.
5. Interview location: Shizuoka-ken, Fujinomiya City, Ueno, Nichiren Shoshu Administration Bldg.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:14 pm Apparently there is an alternative way to become a N. Shoshu priest.
That is an ad from a Shoshu publication. Rough translation of the right panel:

1. Application requirements:
Males 18-25 years old.
2. Written application: temple name.
3. Application deadline: 1/5/2018.
4. Interview date: 1/25-1/26 2018.
5. Interview location: Shizuoka-ken, Fujinomiya City, Ueno, Nichiren Shoshu Administration Bldg.
Shinkei was the first non-Japanese Nichiren Shoshu shami but never completed his training.

Illarraza
westcountry

Post by westcountry »

There are some priests who started training later but not many. Go see the trainee priests at Mutsubo at Taisekiji :)

Return to “Nichiren Shoshu”