Is this the Nichinyo gohonzon?

dharmapdx

Is this the Nichinyo gohonzon?

Post by dharmapdx »

Rare recent picture of a Nichiren Shoshu service with gohonzon visible. Looks like a beautiful gohonzon. Anyone know which gohonzon this is?
Attachments
B8F4DAF5-00EF-45C3-9652-ADDCCA06056C.jpeg
B8F4DAF5-00EF-45C3-9652-ADDCCA06056C.jpeg (137.73 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
justsomeguy

Re: Is this the Nichinyo gohonzon?

Post by justsomeguy »

Good question - I stare at this thing regularly and don't know its name :emb: I'll see if I can find out. Looks weird seeing it in a photograph, I have to say.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

lol yes, the old NSA reflex stirs for me from time to time.

The Nichiren Mandala Workship folks have some articles on plank gohonzons;

https://nichirenmandala.weebly.com/plank-mandala.html

and

https://nichirenmandala.weebly.com/uplo ... andala.pdf
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

That's Myosetsuji in New York.

I am going to guess that is Nittatsu as he was High Priest when the temple in Flushing was established.

Please note - Nichiren Shoshu proscribes photographing the Gohonzon so posting an image of a Gohonzon in a Nichiren Shoshu Temple will likely be considered shocking and quite possibly offensive.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
gohonzon

Post by gohonzon »

That is an image of the Dai Gohonzon transcribed by 67th High Priest NIKKEN Shonin. It is the 1985 Mandala version, same as the one installed in Los Angeles Myohoji Temple in 1997. The Chief priest assigned to this New York Temple is Vice-President Shinga Takikawa.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

gohonzon wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:00 am That is an image of the Dai Gohonzon transcribed by 67th High Priest NIKKEN Shonin. It is the 1985 Mandala version, same as the one installed in Los Angeles Myohoji Temple in 1997. The Chief priest assigned to this New York Temple is Vice-President Shinga Takikawa.
Same one we have in D.C. too :)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

gohonzon wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:00 am That is an image of the Dai Gohonzon transcribed by 67th High Priest NIKKEN Shonin. It is the 1985 Mandala version, same as the one installed in Los Angeles Myohoji Temple in 1997. The Chief priest assigned to this New York Temple is Vice-President Shinga Takikawa.
Interesting. I remember thinking it looked like the Daigohonzon when I used to go there. But then I also thought that it couldn't be because the Daigohonzon should not be copied. I don't know where those ideas came from. I was a boy back then.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx »

That’s actually what I had assumed at first: daigohonzon.

Thanks.

Return to “Nichiren Shoshu”