Looking ahead...(split from ZFI topic)

ZCRT is for sharing specific suggestions and general deliberations on improving and supporting our Zen forums and community.
KeithA

Re: Looking ahead...(split from ZFI topic)

Post by KeithA » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:02 am
personally i think its weird for lay praticioners to wear robes. But thats just me. Even if i were a monk, i'd figure out a way to avoid that
I completely agree, and I have practiced with Kwan Um for many years. It's a minor annoyance, though. Babies and bathwater...
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 pm

I'm headed up to Takoma Park for Ka Shin Zendo, in the morning. They have the same meeting days as the days I have off. Plus they have people who know people who know people i know. Perhaps things dont always happen randomly; maybe they do, but fortuitious circumstances are always welcomed

:sage:
"Cast off body and mind" (身心脱落 shēn xīn tuō luò)

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:24 pm

SunWuKong wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 pm
I'm headed up to Takoma Park for Ka Shin Zendo, in the morning. They have the same meeting days as the days I have off. Plus they have people who know people who know people i know. Perhaps things dont always happen randomly; maybe they do, but fortuitious circumstances are always welcomed

it was nice. there were even other old people there. Tacoma Park is like Paradise compared to West Alexandria!

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:45 pm

SunWuKong wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:24 pm
SunWuKong wrote:

it was nice. there were even other old people there. Tacoma Park is like Paradise compared to West Alexandria!
:lol: I live in West Alexandria (Wakefield-Tarleton), and I agree with you that Takoma Park is comparatively swank.

I'm glad you had a good experience with that group. I wish you all the best in your practice of Dharma.

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:12 am

DGA wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:45 pm
SunWuKong wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:24 pm
SunWuKong wrote:

:lol: I live in West Alexandria (Wakefield-Tarleton), and I agree with you that Takoma Park is comparatively swank.

I'm glad you had a good experience with that group. I wish you all the best in your practice of Dharma.
I'm in West End Alex too we should go to Pantera Bread for coffee etc.

I'm going to Del Ray Zen in the AM !!

fuki

Post by fuki » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:01 pm

KeithA wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 am
SunWuKong wrote:
personally i think its weird for lay praticioners to wear robes. But thats just me. Even if i were a monk, i'd figure out a way to avoid that
I completely agree, and I have practiced with Kwan Um for many years. It's a minor annoyance, though. Babies and bathwater...
I sometimes get funny looks because I usually wear "heavy metal" shirts, which can be anything from a skull, demon or whatever so called "dark"
But once ppl talk to me their IDEA of me changes :popcorn:

I explained to an 8 year old child that "scary" things are actually "protectors" if you don't fear them, so not only does she like my shirts her nightmares have vanished too. Nothing is the way we think it is anyway. :jumping:

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:39 pm

fuki wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:01 pm
KeithA wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 am
SunWuKong wrote:
I sometimes get funny looks because I usually wear "heavy metal" shirts, which can be anything from a skull, demon or whatever so called "dark"
But once ppl talk to me their IDEA of me changes :popcorn:

I explained to an 8 year old child that "scary" things are actually "protectors" if you don't fear them, so not only does she like my shirts her nightmares have vanished too. Nothing is the way we think it is anyway. :jumping:
That's actually one of the positives I see about the robes. We have guest robes, for people who don't have their own. They are just lightweight, short bowing robes. They cover up whatever distracting stuff people might have going on with their shirts. Ads, pictures, whatever. It supports the practice, in that way. I do get why people might have an aversion to them, though. It looks a little cult-ish, from the outside.
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

fuki

Post by fuki » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Keith wrote: That's actually one of the positives I see about the robes. We have guest robes, for people who don't have their own. They are just lightweight, short bowing robes. They cover up whatever distracting stuff people might have going on with their shirts. Ads, pictures, whatever. It supports the practice, in that way. I do get why people might have an aversion to them, though. It looks a little cult-ish, from the outside.
Thanks Keith, when I do volunteer work with the elder ppl in my local community I always look representitive especially since ppl have dementia. I'll keep your words im mind I never considered clothing to be a distraction but it could happen.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:07 am

fuki wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:18 pm
Keith wrote: That's actually one of the positives I see about the robes. We have guest robes, for people who don't have their own. They are just lightweight, short bowing robes. They cover up whatever distracting stuff people might have going on with their shirts. Ads, pictures, whatever. It supports the practice, in that way. I do get why people might have an aversion to them, though. It looks a little cult-ish, from the outside.
Thanks Keith, when I do volunteer work with the elder ppl in my local community I always look representitive especially since ppl have dementia. I'll keep your words im mind I never considered clothing to be a distraction but it could happen.
I appreciate that you received what I wrote in the spirit in which i wrote it, Marcin. But, that's not a surprise, given how long we have "known" each other. I love that you care enough about elderly folks not to scare the hell out of them with your shirts! :twothumbsup:

It's interesting see the different reactions when people run into the various rules of the Dharma room. Some take the rules to be a form of subjugation or worse. In certain situations, that could be the case.

But in a healthy environment, the rules are actually freeing. They allow us to get on with practice, without distractions. So, for us, robes are part of the discipline. I know for some folks that robes are a deal - breaker. They simply won't practice at a place that wears them. :shrug:

_/|\_
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

fuki

Post by fuki » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:16 am

Always in that spirit Brother (otherwise it's my error)
I understand, it helps to be reminded though and I appreciate your experience in this matter, which is much more then mine, so it's helpful to get your angle on it. :smile:

I'll expand my neutral wardrobe a bit :jumping:

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:18 am

KeithA wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:39 pm

That's actually one of the positives I see about the robes. We have guest robes, for people who don't have their own. They are just lightweight, short bowing robes. They cover up whatever distracting stuff people might have going on with their shirts. Ads, pictures, whatever. It supports the practice, in that way. I do get why people might have an aversion to them, though. It looks a little cult-ish, from the outside.
Well, dang, that just took all the wind out of my anti-robe rant. Can i shift to rants against "lineage" or "transmission" then? LOL! Or will i still be hounded down?

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:13 pm

SunWuKong wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:18 am
KeithA wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:39 pm

Well, dang, that just took all the wind out of my anti-robe rant. Can i shift to rants against "lineage" or "transmission" then? LOL! Or will i still be hounded down?
haha! Well, we will always look for something to be critical about. Until we stop looking for things to be critical about. :tongue:
The plum tree, dwindling, contains less of the spring;
But the garden is wider, and holds more of the moon.
Some Zen saying...

_/|\_
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

fuki

Post by fuki » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:44 pm

KeithA wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:13 pm

haha! Well, we will always look for something to be critical about. Until we stop looking for things to be critical about. :tongue:
Just another aquired habit and habits only dissolve when we see through the mechanism, we tend to act in patterns instead of in freedom. Not the idea of freedom ofcourse that's just bondage. :smile: