Looking ahead...(split from ZFI topic)

bokki

Re: Looking ahead...(split from ZFI topic)

Post by bokki »

ok, not to repeat zen history, but maybe this:
Setchō's Verse

"The staff swallows the universe;
He talks for naught of peach blossoms traveling on the waves,
Success is not about grabbing the clouds and seizing the fog;
Why must failure mean losing courage and spirit:
It's all settled─did you hear?
Just be free and at ease, stop any further confusion,
Seventy-two blows is still getting off easy;
It's hard to let you go without a hundred and fifty.

Setcho suddenly picked up his staff and descended from the dais; the whole assembly scattered at once."

- Secrets of the Blue Cliff Record, Case 60, Translated by Thomas Cleary, 2000, p. 203
relax, its ok....lol
bokki

Post by bokki »

ok, i think i did not post well, ill try again..
i dont usually post old master words, but just 4 ex:
Setchō's Verse

"The staff swallows the universe;
He talks for naught of peach blossoms traveling on the waves,
Success is not about grabbing the clouds and seizing the fog;
Why must failure mean losing courage and spirit:
It's all settled─did you hear?
Just be free and at ease, stop any further confusion,
Seventy-two blows is still getting off easy;
It's hard to let you go with a hundred and fifty.

Setcho suddenly picked up his staff and descended from the dais; the whole assembly scattered at once."

- Secrets of the Blue Cliff Record, Case 60, Translated by Thomas Cleary, 2000, p. 203
and at whos words did Setcho do this? Ummon!
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

SunWuKong wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:25 pm
DGA wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 am

There's a Mindful Living group in NoVA. You'll need to drive a bit if you are in Alexandria, as it's in Vienna.

http://www.mpcf.org/calendar.html

Don't feel like fighting traffic on 66? I don't blame you. Consider...

Earth Sangha. Also meeting in the same yoga shop as the Tendai group and the Soto group that had been meeting in the cafe on Mt Vernon Avenue in Del Ray. Earth Sangha could be a good fit for you as their presentation of the teachings aligns well with how Thich Nhat Hanh does things. They plant trees and things, which is lovely.
The Community of Mindful Living has a sangha that meets in Fairfax, but its on the wrong days of the week. This is one of the original Mindfulness Centers, so its a bit non-denominational or secular, it meets in Unitarian Church, Ahn is Thay's niece so I am told. Shes wriiten instruction books for the sangha. They teach QiGong there too. Theres another group in Annapolis, which is UUBF, Unitarian Universalist Buddhist Fellowship, uses the curriculum from CML, is also a great group, but wrong schedule again. I'll check into Potomac Zen, i've been there once, the teacher works an annula circuit between Korea, Alexandria, and one other location. They do Kung-an study. Earth Sangha?? A Soto group in Del Ray??? No idea - - you have any contact info on that. Theres a teacher in South Alexandria that is Soto, calls his meet-up Dragon Chant, but the phone is disconnected.
THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN

:bow:
Dragon Chant, eh? That sounds... plausible? I mean, I find it plausible that someone would call a group "Dragon Chant" and put the label "Soto" on it.

Anyway, here's earth sangha. Connected in interesting ways to Kwan Um Zen Center style Zen, and also TNH-style social justice and environmental work. Nice people too.

http://www.earthsangha.org/

Here's the group in Del Ray that does the San Francisco Zen Center thing.

https://www.delrayzen.org/

Here's the Tendai group that meets in the same building, in case Sunday morning works for you

http://www.greatrivertendai.org/
boda

Post by boda »

pokii wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:13 pm That is new take, tho.
Confidence is built on belief, feeling, and a particular self-image. If someone prides themselves on being difficult to offend, for example, that person is ripe for offense because their self-image is built on an illusion: beliefs and feelings tied to their ego.
an unconfident, unbeleiving, unfeeling non image zen master! lol
ripe for offense? ok, egolessly offend!
:rolling:
Therefore, those who learn the Buddhist Law become so tenderhearted, admirable-looking, desireless, and good-natured that they somehow lose the will to react to any unfavorable stimulus as angrily as if saying, "Kuso!" ["Shit!"].
but, then again, every1 has their take. very angry, saying kuso! lol. :)
No shortage of confidence on display here. Well done, Pokii!! :woohoo:
bokki

Post by bokki »

boda wrote
thank u boda, im glad i could help your longage of confidence on display there.
:woohoo:

btw, im just curious, do u practice zen? if thats impertinent of me, just forget the question.
thx boda
bokki
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson
boda

Post by boda »

pokii wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:49 pm boda wrote
thank u boda, im glad i could help your longage of confidence on display there.
:woohoo:

btw, im just curious, do u practice zen? if thats impertinent of me, just forget the question.
thx boda
bokki
I was just being exuberantly playful, Pokii. I apologize if I’ve offended you in any way.
bokki

Post by bokki »

im joking, boda, i enjoy your questions or opinions.
absolutely no probl, quite the contrary.

imo only: confidence does not equate with egoism, it is unconfidence that is egotistical. some other opposites: fearless ppl are very peaceful, while fear produces aggression.
covetous can sometimes be generous, but that is in an excuse to their inner idea and worldly opinion. and some other, like righteous being easily offended. y, if righteous, would one b offended?..just some thoughts.
anyway, nice to meet you.
thank you, boda
b
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson
boda

Post by boda »

pokii wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:17 pm im joking
You have a very odd sense of humor my friend.
confidence does not equate with egoism
Didn’t say it does. You misunderstand what I wrote, not that it matters.
covetous can sometimes be generous, but that is in an excuse to their inner idea and worldly opinion. and some other, like righteous being easily offended. y, if righteous, would one b offended?..just some thoughts.
This is incoherent. What are trying to say?
bokki

Post by bokki »

You have a very odd sense of humor my friend.
:twothumbsup: thnx boda, i thought that i was even senselessly serious
You misunderstand what I wrote
ok, sry, im incoherent and i misunderstoond.
what did u mean tho? ill not respond, so as to stay on topic, if that suits you.
thx, boda
b
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

DGA wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:04 am
Anyway, here's earth sangha. Connected in interesting ways to Kwan Um Zen Center style Zen, and also TNH-style social justice and environmental work. Nice people too.

Here's the Tendai group that meets in the same building, in case Sunday morning works for you

Thank You!!
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

SunWuKong wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:09 pm
KeithA wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:31 am

Not sure if you are close, but have you checked out the Potomac Zen folks?
I don't know a whole lot about them, but maybe it would be worth a visit.

http://www.worldzen.org/potomac.php

All beings are our teachers. :twothumbsup:
Hey thats right, i did check it out. I can't remember now why i didn't go back. It may be worth reconsidering. Thank You!!
You got it. I have listened to some of Sunim's talks. Not quite my cup of pu erh, but that is entirely my deficiency, for sure. There used to be a guy named JB (Unequalled108) on ZFI, who I think is affilitated with Baltimore Zen Center, a satellite of Potomac. He was an interesting guy. Also not really my cup of tea, but different strokes, and all.

_/|\_
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

DGA wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:04 am
SunWuKong wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:25 pm
DGA wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 am

There's a Mindful Living group in NoVA. You'll need to drive a bit if you are in Alexandria, as it's in Vienna.

http://www.mpcf.org/calendar.html

Don't feel like fighting traffic on 66? I don't blame you. Consider...

Earth Sangha. Also meeting in the same yoga shop as the Tendai group and the Soto group that had been meeting in the cafe on Mt Vernon Avenue in Del Ray. Earth Sangha could be a good fit for you as their presentation of the teachings aligns well with how Thich Nhat Hanh does things. They plant trees and things, which is lovely.
The Community of Mindful Living has a sangha that meets in Fairfax, but its on the wrong days of the week. This is one of the original Mindfulness Centers, so its a bit non-denominational or secular, it meets in Unitarian Church, Ahn is Thay's niece so I am told. Shes wriiten instruction books for the sangha. They teach QiGong there too. Theres another group in Annapolis, which is UUBF, Unitarian Universalist Buddhist Fellowship, uses the curriculum from CML, is also a great group, but wrong schedule again. I'll check into Potomac Zen, i've been there once, the teacher works an annula circuit between Korea, Alexandria, and one other location. They do Kung-an study. Earth Sangha?? A Soto group in Del Ray??? No idea - - you have any contact info on that. Theres a teacher in South Alexandria that is Soto, calls his meet-up Dragon Chant, but the phone is disconnected.
THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN

:bow:
Dragon Chant, eh? That sounds... plausible? I mean, I find it plausible that someone would call a group "Dragon Chant" and put the label "Soto" on it.

Not to be nit-picking (okay, I am nit-picking), but I didn't find the Kwan Um connection with Earth Sangha. I did see a Chogye reference, but they are distant cousins, so to speak. The founder of Kwan Um was a Chogye monk, but the tradition is decidedly Western.

It is a very interesting organization though!

:coffee:

New Haven Zen Center
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

KeithA wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:42 amNot quite my cup of pu erh,

_/|\_
Another fan of Pu Erh? A friend gave me a large block of 20 year old, I drank one cup after another until it was gone, I was hooked instantly (getting hooked instantly is like a Life Story, but a different story). Currently I'm buying Asian grocery store quality loose Pu Erh for pennies to the ounce. Sencha and gunpowder green too, but Pu Erh is my fave.
:applause:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

KeithA wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:53 am

Not to be nit-picking (okay, I am nit-picking), but I didn't find the Kwan Um connection with Earth Sangha. I did see a Chogye reference, but they are distant cousins, so to speak. The founder of Kwan Um was a Chogye monk, but the tradition is decidedly Western.

This is exactly the kind of questioning that should happen in public fora like this. I'm glad you brought it up.

My understanding is that the sangha leader at Earth Sangha is a long-time Kwan Um practitioner. I don't know if she has authorization to teach. I can say that their practice and some of the tools they use (mok-tak) look Korean to me. That's the connection as it has been reported to me by sources I trust, and my own observations.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

DGA wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:22 pm

This is exactly the kind of questioning that should happen in public fora like this. I'm glad you brought it up.

My understanding is that the sangha leader at Earth Sangha is a long-time Kwan Um practitioner. I don't know if she has authorization to teach. I can say that their practice and some of the tools they use (mok-tak) look Korean to me. That's the connection as it has been reported to me by sources I trust, and my own observations.
Don't know, could be. I just went by the information on the website:
Lisa founded the Sangha with her husband, Chris. Lisa has been recognized as a
teacher by the Chogye Order of Zen Buddhism, the main Buddhist monastic order in
Korea.
and from elsewhere on the site:
Our meditation sessions are led by Lisa Bright, who has been recognized as a teacher by the Chogye Order of Zen Buddhism, South Korea's main Buddhist monastic order. Although our practice derives loosely from Zen, it is nondenominational.
It's not that important, though. Like I said, looks like an interesting group.

I usually describe Kwan Um to newcomers as Western Zen with deep Korean roots. We share much with Chogye, but the two groups are very much separate and distinct organizations. We do use typical Korean practice accessories, chants, schedules, etc.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't know Chogye acknowledged lay teachers. I know they weren't happy when Seung Sahn Dae Seon Sa Nim (Zen Master), founder of Kwan Um and Chogye Order monastic, authorized lay people as Dharma Teachers, complete with long robes. I am a Dharma Teacher in the organization, and as such, where long robes. But if I were to visit another tradition, particularly a Korean one, I wouldn't wear my robes.

Haha! That's probably wayyy more than you wanted to hear!! :lol:

_/|\_

New Haven Zen Center
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

KeithA wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:29 am

teacher by the Chogye Order of Zen Buddhism, the main Buddhist monastic order in
Korea.
Our meditation sessions are led by Lisa Bright, who has been recognized as a teacher by the Chogye Order of Zen Buddhism, South Korea's main Buddhist monastic order. Although our practice derives loosely from Zen, it is nondenominational.

I usually describe Kwan Um to newcomers as Western Zen with deep Korean roots. We share much with Chogye, but the two groups are very much separate and distinct organizations. We do use typical Korean practice accessories, chants, schedules, etc.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't know Chogye acknowledged lay teachers. I know they weren't happy when Seung Sahn Dae Seon Sa Nim (Zen Master), founder of Kwan Um and Chogye Order monastic, authorized lay people as Dharma Teachers, complete with long robes. I am a Dharma Teacher in the organization, and as such, where long robes. But if I were to visit another tradition, particularly a Korean one, I wouldn't wear my robes.

_/|\_
That's all very useful, thanks. I've only interacted with Lisa as a co-tenant in a practice space shared by other Dharma groups, and as a source for the young trees our neighborhood association distributes. It would be worthwhile to follow up on the claim of teaching authorization.

I should add that I'm not recommending Lisa as a teacher, but merely suggesting to our friend who is a student of Thich Nhat Hanh that Earth Sangha might be a good community for practicing with.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

DGA wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:48 pm
KeithA wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:29 am

Korea.

_/|\_
That's all very useful, thanks. I've only interacted with Lisa as a co-tenant in a practice space shared by other Dharma groups, and as a source for the young trees our neighborhood association distributes. It would be worthwhile to follow up on the claim of teaching authorization.

I should add that I'm not recommending Lisa as a teacher, but merely suggesting to our friend who is a student of Thich Nhat Hanh that Earth Sangha might be a good community for practicing with.
Not looking to open up an investigation or anything. That's up to the people who are looking to practice with the group. In poking around the internet, I did find a couple references to lay Dharma teachers and Chogye, so it's probable that I am just ignorant of the situation. While I value greatly my Chogye Dharma heritage, I don't know much about the structural minutiae of the Order.

Again, it looks like a nice group, doing good works.

_/|\_

New Haven Zen Center
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

KeithA wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:17 pm
DGA wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:48 pm That's all very useful, thanks. I've only interacted with Lisa as a co-tenant in a practice space shared by other Dharma groups, and as a source for the young trees our neighborhood association distributes. It would be worthwhile to follow up on the claim of teaching authorization.

Not looking to open up an investigation or anything. That's up to the people who are looking to practice with the group. In poking around the internet, I did find a couple references to lay Dharma teachers and Chogye, so it's probable that I am just ignorant of the situation. While I value greatly my Chogye Dharma heritage, I don't know much about the structural minutiae of the Order.

Again, it looks like a nice group, doing good works.

_/|\_
Yes, I should have said "it would be useful for someone interested in participating in that group to follow up..."

:cheers:
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

All the fun stuff aside, mostly my schedule is the main obstacle to practicing with a group, and thats likely why Potomac Zen did not fit the bill. Maybe my wife was out of town or some other reason so that i was able to get to one meeting.

The Kansas Zen Center was a Kwan Um group, and yet they welcomed Fukushima Keido Roshi when hew travelled through and helped organize his teaching event at a larger venue. In the regular setting, they allowed people to meditate according to whatever tradition they followed.

Not that it makes much difference to me. No matter what i practice it comes out the same. Different starting points, the same result.

I've been overly reluctent to leave the Thich Nhat Hanh fold, but its been over 10 years since i've been able to participate. One of their expectations is that you change your schedule to suit them. However, I'm a blue collar worker, so generally that excludes me.

:roll:
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

personally i think its weird for lay praticioners to wear robes. But thats just me. Even if i were a monk, i'd figure out a way to avoid that

Return to “Zen”