Looking ahead...(split from ZFI topic)

Larryo

Re: Looking ahead...(split from ZFI topic)

Post by Larryo »

pokii wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:45 amone thing i cant understand, tho, is why live words and dharma combat are immediately sanctioned.
also, rinzai is famous for such, as well as many other masters. how come we are silent, and react negatively to any question, disagreement, or provocation?
if a short kyosaku has been broken on your back, cant u sustain a few jokes?
even insults?
is the internet zen going to stay dead scholastic words,
or can we exchange some live words?
even if they seem rough or dumb?
Interesting thoughts :hi:

Visiting someone else's house, I'm on my best behaviour :smile:
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Larryo wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:34 pmVisiting someone else's house, I'm on my best behaviour :smile:
Navigating the other areas of the forum can be tricky, but definitely with the Zen subforums we're trying to create a place for Zen folks to share their thoughts freely, without fear of reprisal (unless of course it violates more general rules regarding forum behavior, such as ad hominem). In the Zen spaces, Zen teachings are primary and triumphalism from other sects isn't allowed. If you're interested, we'd like to encourage you all to make it your home.
:anjali:
Larryo

Post by Larryo »

As others have said, many thanks for your warm welcome.

Larryo wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:34 pmVisiting someone else's house, I'm on my best behaviour :smile:
Having said that, I did once get thrown out of the house of a Zen monk. But that's another story :smile:
fuki

Re: Zen Forum International

Post by fuki »

Lindama wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:05 pm thanks Angeli

:cheers:

if Fuki ever shows up, we'll be toasting w/ Jagermeister
Glad I found you guys I thought I was banned from zfi :rolleye:

Thanks for creating this topic, and drinks are on me Linda.

:woohoo:
fuki

Post by fuki »

Larryo wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:52 pm As others have said, many thanks for your warm welcome.

Having said that, I did once get thrown out of the house of a Zen monk. But that's another story :smile:
ppl don't like it when you start dusting of their furniture without asking Larry :tongue:
Larryo

Post by Larryo »

But where could his dust collect? :tongue:

It's party time! :rolleye: :woohoo:
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

Happy to see you Fuki

Larry, you're welcome to dust anytime....

linda
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
KeithA

Re: Zen Forum International

Post by KeithA »

fuki wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:59 pm
Lindama wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:05 pm thanks Angeli

:cheers:

if Fuki ever shows up, we'll be toasting w/ Jagermeister
Glad I found you guys I thought I was banned from zfi :rolleye:

Thanks for creating this topic, and drinks are on me Linda.

Hi Marcin!! Welcome to the jungle! :cheers:
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
bokki

Post by bokki »

hey, fuki, linda, lary! im so glad u r here! so nice.
keith, u age really handsomly,nice pic.
friends
:applause:
boki :group:
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

pokii wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:35 am hey, fuki, linda, lary! im so glad u r here! so nice.
keith, u age really handsomly,nice pic.
friends
:applause:
boki :group:
oh Boki/Pokii :hi:
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Admin_PC wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:21 pm
Navigating the other areas of the forum can be tricky, but definitely with the Zen subforums we're trying to create a place for Zen folks to share their thoughts freely, without fear of reprisal (unless of course it violates more general rules regarding forum behavior, such as ad hominem). In the Zen spaces, Zen teachings are primary and triumphalism from other sects isn't allowed. If you're interested, we'd like to encourage you all to make it your home.
Is hitting people with sticks considered a personal attack? :rolling:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
bokki

Post by bokki »

Is hitting people with sticks considered a personal attack? :rolling:
:twothumbsup:
maybe, in zen, it could be considered an unpersonalized attack?
if someone else hits other people and not me, can i call it non-personal?
if i hit myself with a stick, probably personal?
thnx for the laugh seeker :applause:
b
Larryo

Post by Larryo »

Just to keep everyone up to date....desert_woodworker is now posting at zenspace.tk
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

KeithA wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:31 am

Not sure if you are close, but have you checked out the Potomac Zen folks?
I don't know a whole lot about them, but maybe it would be worth a visit.

http://www.worldzen.org/potomac.php

All beings are our teachers. :twothumbsup:
Hey thats right, i did check it out. I can't remember now why i didn't go back. It may be worth reconsidering. Thank You!!
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

DGA wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 am

There's a Mindful Living group in NoVA. You'll need to drive a bit if you are in Alexandria, as it's in Vienna.

http://www.mpcf.org/calendar.html

Don't feel like fighting traffic on 66? I don't blame you. Consider...

Earth Sangha. Also meeting in the same yoga shop as the Tendai group and the Soto group that had been meeting in the cafe on Mt Vernon Avenue in Del Ray. Earth Sangha could be a good fit for you as their presentation of the teachings aligns well with how Thich Nhat Hanh does things. They plant trees and things, which is lovely.
The Community of Mindful Living has a sangha that meets in Fairfax, but its on the wrong days of the week. This is one of the original Mindfulness Centers, so its a bit non-denominational or secular, it meets in Unitarian Church, Ahn is Thay's niece so I am told. Shes wriiten instruction books for the sangha. They teach QiGong there too. Theres another group in Annapolis, which is UUBF, Unitarian Universalist Buddhist Fellowship, uses the curriculum from CML, is also a great group, but wrong schedule again. I'll check into Potomac Zen, i've been there once, the teacher works an annula circuit between Korea, Alexandria, and one other location. They do Kung-an study. Earth Sangha?? A Soto group in Del Ray??? No idea - - you have any contact info on that. Theres a teacher in South Alexandria that is Soto, calls his meet-up Dragon Chant, but the phone is disconnected.
THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN

:bow:
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Meido

Post by Meido »

pokii wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:45 am how come we are silent, and react negatively to any question, disagreement, or provocation?
if a short kyosaku has been broken on your back, cant u sustain a few jokes?
even insults?
is the internet zen going to stay dead scholastic words,
or can we exchange some live words?
even if they seem rough or dumb?
I've wondered the same thing.

Self-described Zen folks on forums have seemed to me rather easily offended at times. In some cases it has made me wonder if they have learned much about the depths and treasures of their own traditions, that they display so little confidence. It takes some minimal knowledge to correct the misconceptions of others.

Part of it also may be the tendency of some Western Buddhist folks to avoid any appearance of having afflictive emotion, or indulging in conflict. It seems common even for some Western teachers to fall into a kind of gentle, New Age guru meets Protestant minister meets psychotherapist, very spiritual way of speaking, using all the right catchwords, that sometimes frankly makes me nauseous. (Well, it seems perhaps I am the one easily offended here).

I am fond of this quote from the Edo period Soto Zen master Suzuki Shosan:
In learning the Buddhist Law in recent years, many people seem to have forgotten that Zen includes high spirits of bravery and great power. Therefore, those who learn the Buddhist Law become so tenderhearted, admirable-looking, desireless, and good-natured that they somehow lose the will to react to any unfavorable stimulus as angrily as if saying, "Kuso!" ["Shit!"].
~ Meido
bokki

Post by bokki »

Thank you Roshi,
you nailed the reasons. im sure there a few more, as if zen folk forgot the history of their tradition. ill just repeat your quote of Shosan:
In learning the Buddhist Law in recent years, many people seem to have forgotten that Zen includes high spirits of bravery and great power. Therefore, those who learn the Buddhist Law become so tenderhearted, admirable-looking, desireless, and good-natured that they somehow lose the will to react to any unfavorable stimulus as angrily as if saying, "Kuso!" ["Shit!"].
or 4 ex hakuins doubt as to the scream of a killed by robers master.

although, somehow, lol, i doubt this very much, lol:
(Well, perhaps I am the one easily offended here).
:rolling:
thank you!
:namaste:
boda

Post by boda »

Meido wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:52 pm Self-described Zen folks on forums have seemed to me rather easily offended at times. In some cases it has made me wonder if they have learned much about the depths and treasures of their own traditions, that they display so little confidence.
Confidence is built on belief, feeling, and a particular self-image. If someone prides themselves on being difficult to offend, for example, that person is ripe for offense because their self-image is built on an illusion: beliefs and feelings tied to their ego.
bokki

Post by bokki »

That is new take, tho.
Confidence is built on belief, feeling, and a particular self-image. If someone prides themselves on being difficult to offend, for example, that person is ripe for offense because their self-image is built on an illusion: beliefs and feelings tied to their ego.
an unconfident, unbeleiving, unfeeling non image zen master! lol
ripe for offense? ok, egolessly offend!
:rolling:
Therefore, those who learn the Buddhist Law become so tenderhearted, admirable-looking, desireless, and good-natured that they somehow lose the will to react to any unfavorable stimulus as angrily as if saying, "Kuso!" ["Shit!"].
but, then again, every1 has their take. very angry, saying kuso! lol. :)
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

I thought that Meido was talking about confidence in one's tradition/practice.

my teacher always said.... it's none of my business what others think/say about me. as a teaching it works. ofc, we have relationships that need to be taken in also.

linda
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho

Return to “Zen”