i need a better zafu

SunWuKong

i need a better zafu

Post by SunWuKong »

this one isnt comfortable. I used one once that was pretty big, traditional black, sturdy cloth, buckwheat hulls, kinda tall. It was from SFZC?
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
KeithA

Re: i need a better zafu

Post by KeithA »

Dharmacrafts is your friend. My set (zabuton/zafu) is over 20 years old and going strong.

_/|\_
Keith
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
justsit

Post by justsit »

KeithA wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:42 am Dharmacrafts is your friend. My set (zabuton/zafu) is over 20 years old and going strong.

_/|\_
Keith
Second Dharmacrafts. Very comfortable, well made, washable covers.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Pff. You people who still meditate sitting up. You probably stay awake and everything.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Meido

Post by Meido »

A plug for stillsitting.com. They did a large order of zafu/zabuton for Korinji. We wanted a more Rinzai-style setup instead of the round cushions, so it was a custom job. Great communication and shipping, everything was perfect. And, they're Zen folks.

~ Meido
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Spoilt for choice! I picked a Bean Products one, which was good although a seam split after a couple of years. Mended it, going strong.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
bokki

Post by bokki »

LOL!
i'v asked this question a while ago at zfi. lol, what a laugh, lol.
WHAT DO YOU SIT ON?
only james had a bit of play with it, every one else was into buckwheat and whatnot..lol
PuerAzazello
Pff. You people who still meditate sitting up. You probably stay awake and everything.
LOL
but, let me join the obvious and banal :
i sat on two blankets, 1 4 a zabuton, 1 4 a zafu..no problem.
100 $ for a set? lol, rich meditation!
now i have these ideas..
id like a memory foam zabuton and a inflatable plastic bean zafu..
now, iv sat on a pilates 75 cm ball...that was fun..keeps u on your toes, so to speak,lol
but, i really wish to get me a yoga sling/hammock for aerial, a meter of the floor, meditation..
i can just imagine a zendo with all the monks and laymen,hanging from the ceiling, a meter, meter and a half above the ground..
if someone naps, he'd better have medical insurance...
if whacked by a kyosaku, one would be twisting and swinging for the next half hour...
lol, thnx
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

SunWuKong wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:20 am It was from SFZC?
If so, they sell cushions in their bookstore shop. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

bokki wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:47 am LOL!
id like a memory foam zabuton and a inflatable plastic bean zafu..
now, iv sat on a pilates 75 cm ball...that was fun..keeps u on your toes, so to speak,lol
but, i really wish to get me a yoga sling/hammock for aerial, a meter of the floor, meditation..
i can just imagine a zendo with all the monks and laymen,hanging from the ceiling, a meter, meter and a half above the ground..
if someone naps, he'd better have medical insurance...
if whacked by a kyosaku, one would be twisting and swinging for the next half hour...
lol, thnx
I need a zafu in order to train for sitting on a zafu, so i can sit with other people who are training. therefore I want the classic model-T zafu, exchangable for the standard issue zafu used in (said) places, but i got LUMBAGO and SCIATICA therefore most of my sitting is an exercise in how much pain i can take before i end up in the hospital, have a nervous breakdown, or otherwise lose my marbles. :shock: At first glance this looks like the usual zafu thread, but peeling away the layers, its totally illogical and i'm highly stressed trying to figure out WHY ME. But you got to have FUN somehow, right?? :rolling: Maybe memory foam is the way to go after all.. Thank you for all the suggestions!!! :heart: :heart:
bokki

Post by bokki »

Hi SunWuKong,
I need a zafu in order to train for sitting on a zafu, so i can sit with other people who are training. therefore I want the classic model-T zafu, exchangable for the standard issue zafu used in (said) places, but i got LUMBAGO and SCIATICA therefore most of my sitting is an exercise in how much pain i can take before i end up in the hospital, have a nervous breakdown, or otherwise lose my marbles. :shock: At first glance this looks like the usual zafu thread, but peeling away the layers, its totally illogical and i'm highly stressed trying to figure out WHY ME. But you got to have FUN somehow, right?? :rolling: Maybe memory foam is the way to go after all.. Thank you for all the suggestions!!! :heart: :heart:
Thank you.
yes, i had a bit of fun, but let me assure you, i have been thinking about those things, since i have a little prob with my knees.
so, memory foam would help me, and an inflatable zafu can be precisely inflated to ones wish, and carried around easily.
yoga hammock delivers instant spine decompression, and in fact it seems ill be putting one up this weekend.
and the pilates ball is quite handy at spine stretching.
but, professional help and advice are best here,imo.
i really hope you dont push yourself with such pain in that way, but take care and find a comfortable solution, and, well , stay well.
:heart:
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

bokki wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:44 am yes, i had a bit of fun, but let me assure you, i have been thinking about those things, since i have a little prob with my knees.
so, memory foam would help me, and an inflatable zafu can be precisely inflated to ones wish, and carried around easily.
yoga hammock delivers instant spine decompression, and in fact it seems ill be putting one up this weekend.
and the pilates ball is quite handy at spine stretching.
but, professional help and advice are best here,imo.
i really hope you dont push yourself with such pain in that way, but take care and find a comfortable solution, and, well , stay well.
:heart:
Aha, a method to the madness...

I did go to doctor and physical therapy today. Since its been since 1980, technically its degenerative disc disease, but it hasn't always bothered me. What happened was i threw a 80 pounds over one shoulder and walked about 20 yards and discovered i'm not as young as i used to be. Anywho, I can sit in half-lotus 15-20 minutes normally, Burmese style 30-45. Not tried the other postures. Well, what in yoga is called Corpse Pose (reclining) and Mountain Pose (standing) - those i do, but i mean, but no seiza or wooden benches or wooden chairs. I got a new PT therapist and a new set of instructions so we'll see how it goes. Need to lose 50 pounds also. That's easy to say with a slice of Brie in one hand
daibunny

Post by daibunny »

SunWuKong wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:20 am this one isnt comfortable. I used one once that was pretty big, traditional black, sturdy cloth, buckwheat hulls, kinda tall. It was from SFZC?
I got one of these around 2005, had to top it off once or twice, the buckwheat hulls will eventually get ground down. Have washed it twice iirc and drip dried it, np.
https://www.amazon.com/Hugger-Mugger-Ch ... WDW5FJ24X1

Best 40$ or so i think i ever spent.
Nothing remains
Of the house that I was born in--
Fireflies.

- Santoka, 1882-1940
Mountain Tasting: Zen Haiku by Santoka Taneda, 1980, p.48
Translated by John Stevens
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

daibunny wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:13 am
SunWuKong wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:20 am this one isnt comfortable. I used one once that was pretty big, traditional black, sturdy cloth, buckwheat hulls, kinda tall. It was from SFZC?
I got one of these around 2005, had to top it off once or twice, the buckwheat hulls will eventually get ground down. Have washed it twice iirc and drip dried it, np.
https://www.amazon.com/Hugger-Mugger-Ch ... WDW5FJ24X1

Best 40$ or so i think i ever spent.
Yes!! I had a Hugger Mugger and loved it! It disappeared after a CML retreat in Portland
bokki

Post by bokki »

i need a better life, something i can sit on, dang and alas 2.
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson
bokki

Post by bokki »

dang d zafu!
what r u sitting on?
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

actually now i can't hardly sit on a zafu. How fast things change. This degenerative disc disease needs some rest and relaxation. Mostly i sit in the car seat now. Zazen just the same.

Return to “Zen”