Zen Space Forum down hard?

Fruitzilla

Re: Zen Space Forum down hard?

Post by Fruitzilla »

I have the same problem boda said he had in the now locked thread. I can register, but don't receive the activation email, even after having it resent. Maybe it's a problem with the mail config pointing to the mail server of the old provider?
I've sent an email to the admin through the board, but it could be that wasn't sent also ... :-)
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

The members only divided forum was discussed at ZFI. Personally, I'm not in favor of it. It's a big solution for a small problem.... purity is not a solution in my mind.... it creates division and perhaps a certain addiction to perfection. Zen is full of stories of a simple cook or gardener becoming abbot/realized. ofc, they probably wouldn't be interested in a forum, :tongue: but just what would the entrance requirements be? DW seems to manage it's diversity quite well with experienced folks at the helm.

As far as ZFI goes, it served it's purpose. The lack of moderation was no mistake, it's time was over. The last year was almost ghost-like... well-meaning people wanting to keep it going. As our zen song master said (after writing new music for old chants).... "there are two kinds of people in the world, I want to be with those who know they're gonna die". die, he did, in 2003.

Time will tell us .... regardless, DW is a good place to make a home ... agree with Meido, Anjali, Simon and all the good folks who have welcomed zen into the fold. Religious separation has been the curse of violence on this planet... taken to the extreme. separation is separation whatever it's color/colour.

linda
Meido wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:41 pm
daibunny wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:08 pm The problem with that idea is that everybody is an expert, including those who have no actual experience and those of other traditions who are looking to enhance their "expert of all things buddhist and all round internet buddhist saint" rep.
Well, TBH you've just described things from which no Zen-specific forum I've seen has been immune. To my mind, ZFI declined partially due to lack of moderation when a few such folks became unusually active.

The only way to avoid such a thing completely would be to have a closed forum with some kind of membership criteria and screening. It would be small. Such an endeavor might make sense as a home for a particular Zen org's members. But it would not provide anything to inexperienced people who are sincerely interested in Zen. Still, I have considered doing it...or at least, a forum that has portions that are open to all and portions not.

My personal feeling has always been that it would be good for Zen folks to make a home here, regardless of where else they hang out. If a Zen specific forum succeeds, great. But DW also works, and the advantages of bumping up against followers of other paths are great.

~ Meido
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

From now on please communicate directly (via personal message) with Dan74 about Zen Space Forum technical issues.

Thank you.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Zen”