Zen Space Forum down hard?

SunWuKong

Zen Space Forum down hard?

Post by SunWuKong »

I can’t connect on any device over 8 hours now? Help?
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: Zen Space Forum down hard?

Post by Wayfarer »

'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

It's a worry and hopefully we will find a stable host where such things will not happen.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I still reckon Amazon Web Servicesv is the way to go. Last week I created an account (which is free) and had a poke around. Now, I know I don’t have the technical chops to implement a Forum on it - but if you had the know-how, it would be a cinch. And Amazon is not going to go down. There might be some $$ issues to consider, but as the saying goes ‘you get what you pay for’.

I would seriously like to be able to contribute and help if you decide to go that way, just to learn the skills involved. I have some indefinite downtime right now and am wanting to learn some of these technologies. What better way? :smile:
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

This is good to know, Wayfarer, and broadly speaking I agree (about the need for a stable host).

I will talk to El G, our sys admin, and see what he says about Amazon. It's also great to have an offer of help, but when there is already someone 'on the job' and someone who's contributed a great deal (and created the forum in the first place actually), that needs to be taken into account.

At the moment, I think we've paid something like less than $US 20 for the year. And AWS is more than that per month, so there is that issue. We've also had an offer of help that we were not able to take advantage of due to technical problems.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Maybe Zen folks can do what Vajrayana folks do ( for the most part,and not including this post :smile:)

Which is, focus on the DW forums that are aimed at your tradition or have universality, and try not to be drawn into spats that are coming from another POV? Just a thought.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

This is an option (and has its advantages) but some also see good reasons for having a dedicated Zen forum, as has been discussed in a number of threads here.

It's kind of like having your party at one small table in a busy noisy restaurant, or one at a cosy little café that you've booked for the occasion. ;)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I know the feeling Dan..but it can be done.

Anyway, good luck with the new venture. :namaste:

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

It’s been down from at least 8pm yesterday and it’s now 11am est. I was in the middle of a poem I didn’t back up
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Simon E. wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:59 am Maybe Zen folks can do what Vajrayana folks do ( for the most part,and not including this post :smile:)

Which is, focus on the DW forums that are aimed at your tradition or have universality, and try not to be drawn into spats that are coming from another POV? Just a thought.
There is no DW forum for my tradition (Vietnamese Thein) - the other problem is my sitting practice from South Vietnam is grafted in from Theraveda, and the other DW (Dhamma) isn’t very chatty. Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll just continue to roam
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I hope you find what you need.

:namaste:

anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

SunWuKong wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:21 pm There is no DW forum for my tradition....
Your wish is our command: our new Thien forum. :smile:
:anjali:
bokki

Post by bokki »

anjali, thank u very very much for ur effort...
but
zenspace will not raise unless a good fund, nothing great.. a fund is raised..! how about seting up a paypall account !!!or something, so we can talk and relax and zen in with no prob... work it up el g, set d fkr up well//!!!
we all want a zen space, bro...do it!...lets do it bro!
set the zen site up, please!
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson
daibunny

Post by daibunny »

Simon E. wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:59 am Maybe Zen folks can do what Vajrayana folks do ( for the most part,and not including this post :smile:)

The problem with that idea is that everybody is an expert, including those who have no actual experience and those of other traditions who are looking to enhance their "expert of all things buddhist and all round internet buddhist saint" rep. Just two kinds of fools that no good zen forum needs.
Nothing remains
Of the house that I was born in--
Fireflies.

- Santoka, 1882-1940
Mountain Tasting: Zen Haiku by Santoka Taneda, 1980, p.48
Translated by John Stevens
Meido

Post by Meido »

daibunny wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:08 pm The problem with that idea is that everybody is an expert, including those who have no actual experience and those of other traditions who are looking to enhance their "expert of all things buddhist and all round internet buddhist saint" rep.
Well, TBH you've just described things from which no Zen-specific forum I've seen has been immune. To my mind, ZFI declined partially due to lack of moderation when a few such folks became unusually active.

The only way to avoid such a thing completely would be to have a closed forum with some kind of membership criteria and screening. It would be small. Such an endeavor might make sense as a home for a particular Zen org's members. But it would not provide anything to inexperienced people who are sincerely interested in Zen. Still, I have considered doing it...or at least, a forum that has portions that are open to all and portions not.

My personal feeling has always been that it would be good for Zen folks to make a home here, regardless of where else they hang out. If a Zen specific forum succeeds, great. But DW also works, and the advantages of bumping up against followers of other paths are great.

~ Meido
el gatito

Post by el gatito »

Wayfarer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:28 am I still reckon Amazon Web Servicesv is the way to go. Last week I created an account (which is free) and had a poke around. Now, I know I don’t have the technical chops to implement a Forum on it - but if you had the know-how, it would be a cinch. And Amazon is not going to go down. There might be some $$ issues to consider, but as the saying goes ‘you get what you pay for’.

I would seriously like to be able to contribute and help if you decide to go that way, just to learn the skills involved. I have some indefinite downtime right now and am wanting to learn some of these technologies. What better way? :smile:
Yes, they offer phpBB on the AWS Free Tier:

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00NPHCFGC

This is called "phpBB Certified by Bitnami" and the Latest Version: 3.2.2-0 on Ubuntu 16.04 is the same as our recent Zen Space phpBB 3.2.2

Look into pricing, I think "micro", and see if this feels comfortable.

If so -- set it up, and we could migrate the database there -- and redirect the domain name.
Last edited by el gatito on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
el gatito

Post by el gatito »

SunWuKong wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:55 am I can’t connect on any device over 8 hours now? Help?
I have described the current state of things here:
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 18#p432918
bokki

Post by bokki »

1 simple question, el g...?
when
will zen space be opened again?
my friend?
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

el gatito wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:47 pm If so -- set it up, and we could migrate the database there -- and redirect the domain name.
It seems to me that you could do quite a lot with the introductory-level account, which is free. Charges only kick in based on data volume and transactions, I think. I'm sure you wouldn't have any reliability problems on AWS, after all, half the economy runs on it nowadays (other half being on MS Azure.)

Time waits for no man....er....person.
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

bokki wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:52 pm 1 simple question, el g...?
when
will zen space be opened again?
my friend?

It's working now.

_/|\_

Return to “Zen”