Subforum:Death

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
PadmaVonSamba

Subforum:Death

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 am

I would like to request a subforum, perhaps within "General Dharma" which, while open to anyone, would mainly be aimed at discussions by people who are actively facing death due to terminal illnesses, as well as participation from people who care for them.

The point of this is not to function as a "support group", but rather, would specifically address death and related topics from the buddhist perspective. People might discuss bardo & rebirth, meditating in grave yards, subtle mind, or how to calm the mind as death approaches, or how to deal with relatives who are not buddhist, etc.

On its own, death is a topic which has certainly appeared many, many times within the context of other subforums (i.e., Pure Land Buddhism). However, this kind of discussion is very often somewhat theoretical or academic. That makes sense, because death is something most of us can really only discuss hypothetically. Sure, we will all go some day.

But when death is addressed from a more immediate point of view, one of, "I am a dying person who is also a buddhist...etc." by those who pretty much know they have maybe a few years left, this changes one's priorities, one's dharma practice, one's whole outlook. I think very different types of discussions might take place.

I was intending to begin a discussion about death and dying in one of the forums (Personal Experience, Dharma in Everyday Life) but I thought the moderators might want to consider giving it its own subforum. Thank You.
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Subforum:Death

Post by Queequeg » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:21 pm

Interesting proposition.

Hopefully we can get some other voices in on the discussion. I can see how collecting discussions on the topic of death would be helpful to people.

We don't discuss this topic enough, I think, especially in real terms as they will apply to all of us. I often observe the effects of avoiding this subject in my work (estate planning and estate administration practices). That angle is just practical, but underlying the avoidance of taking practical steps to prepare for death is the very real existential fear of death.

I think it could be a useful resource for the community.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:36 pm

I think it would be a potentially highly illuminating and properly grown up sub forum.
“ When the demon is at your door, in the morning it won’t be there no more
Any major dude will tell you”.

Aemilius

Post by Aemilius » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:20 pm

It would be just plain stupid. Purposefully earning for Buddhism the appellation of "a graveyard religion". Everything dies and is reborn moment after moment. Why not a subforum for Birth? There is no death without birth!
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Aemilius wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:20 pm
It would be just plain stupid. Purposefully earning for Buddhism the appellation of "a graveyard religion". Everything dies and is reborn moment after moment. Why not a subforum for Birth? There is no death without birth!
Well. Mic drop.

That solves death! Why didn't Buddha just teach that?!
Entered a stupa compound

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:17 pm

There are always those who choose instead to focus on Aliens and Time Travellers.

As I said above, a Death subforum would be properly grown up.

I am reminded of a chap I used to follow on E Sangha who posted plain good sense and was frequently amusing.
Then I noticed that that if anyone mentioned death he went into melt down and denial.... :shrug:
“ When the demon is at your door, in the morning it won’t be there no more
Any major dude will tell you”.

justsit

Post by justsit » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:33 pm

Excellent idea, IMO. Death, in the US at least, is a topic usually studiously avoided, many people are totally ignorant of the actual process and what to expect with a "normal" death. Opening the discussion with the focus on Buddhist teachings could be very helpful.

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:18 pm

Aemilius wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:20 pm
I think, if mind in the in-between bardo state could log on to the web, a sub-forum on "birth" might be a good idea too.
But, I don't know that there is an internet connection there. Perhaps in the intermediate state there is ethernet?

:rolling:

Buddhism has always been a "graveyard religion" of sorts.
The Buddha's robes and those of his followers were made from
the sewn together remnants of cloth in which the dead had been wrapped and left to rot.
You can't get much more "graveyard" than that!

Death and impermanence is, historically, one of the primary meditations.
As I suggested, this would be less of a theoretical discussion, not merely a contemplation on the inevitable
But rather, of a shared interest among people who practice dharma, yet who, for example,
have a fatal medical condition and are literally looking death in the face every day.
If it's not an area that you have a shared interest in, then of course, there's no need to indulge in it.

There are plenty of "support groups" on the web, on facebook, etc. for this or that condition
and if you really want to see suffering in the human realm, just log on to any of them and you will find
infinite beings who are angry, frustrated, and terrified, asking,
"why would God do this to me?" and, "Why would God do this to my mother" and so on,
and within those forums, there is no place to discuss things like how to focus on the subtle mind,
or even, how to help family members who are hysterical about you dying, when you yourself are okay with it.

So,this is why I think it is a worthwhile sub-forum. If the purpose of Dharma Wheel is to help those along the path,
then I don't see why this wouldn't help people in a very practical way.
Of course, I can also understand basic format concerns. is there a separate sub forum for food? For sex? For Right Livelihood? no.
And if that's all that would prevent the creation of a Death sub-forum specifically,
then, as I said, I'm happy to start a discussion in "Lounge" or wherever.
I merely put this idea into the suggestion box to offer the moderators something to consider.
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:48 pm

The ethernet joke won me over. I am for this addition. Death is an important topic and in many ways whatever we do as our practice we are preparing to die.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

well wisher

Post by well wisher » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:59 pm

I think this subforum is a great idea. To become fearless one must face the inevitable death, and one cannot conquer it without coming face to it.
And yes I also agree that traditionally Buddhism is a graveyard religion. Many traditional stories goes that Shakamuni only started practising asceticism after coming to face with the 4 signs: aging, illness, death, monk.

Although the greater goal might be to achieve deathless-ness, right after the end of this human life, in bardo so to say.
For example, Nirvana, the ultimate state outside of life and death, to escape out of this horrible wheel of samsaric reincarnations and cycles of births and deaths.
nir·va·na
(in Buddhism) a transcendent state in which there is neither suffering, desire, nor sense of self, and the subject is released from the effects of karma and the cycle of death and rebirth. It represents the final goal of Buddhism.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:56 pm

Considering the strong interest from long time members, we will set it up in the next day or so. It will only be visible to logged in members.
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

Return to “Suggestion Box”