user tutorial

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
PadmaVonSamba

user tutorial

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Is there a tutorial on using the little buttons that appear above the text-entry window? Most are obvious, but how does one use

Code: Select all

,  [*], [img],  [url], [video]  ?
      It would also be nice to have...
      An explanation of what the circles mean on the left side of the index pages
      and an explanation of the difference between "view new posts" and "view current topics"
       :thanks:  
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Punya

Re: user tutorial

Post by Punya »

I agree and wonder why this post wasn't responded to.

Also, some simple instructions on how resize a photo and post video. Despite web searches I've never figured the latter out.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Punya wrote:I agree and wonder why this post wasn't responded to.
There must have been kind of invisibility-magic. :smile: Maybe there was much traffic, when your posts appeared and we did not find them under the load of hot topics. :bow:
Also, some simple instructions on how resize a photo and post video. Despite web searches I've never figured the latter out.
I do minimize my photos by uploading them to a photopage: http://picr.de
There you can choose the size before loading. But there are other technical possibilities that I never understood. Maybe other skilled users would like to share their knowledge.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Hi, Punya (and Ayu :smile: )
The nearest thing to a 'user tutorial' at the moment is the FAQ's page http://dharmawheel.net/faq.php accessed via the link near the sign-in link (bottom right of page header).

As for resizing images, I'm pretty sure you can't do it within the forum's upload process. I always do it on my own computer before uploading them, using Preview (Apple's equivalent of Picture Viewer but better) or Picasa (free software for all operating systems - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picasa). There are lots of other image editing programmes out there, many of them free.
There are also online apps which will do it for you. I've never used Photobucket (http://photobucket.com) but I have often seen it recommended. I do use Flickr, primarily to share photos with others but it does automatically resize photos that are uploaded to it and you can share the smaller versions as easily as the original size.

Video? I have never tried except to share stuff which is already online, mostly YouTube. It is then just a matter of posting a link, between either or
phpBB [video]
tags. I think the size limits on uploaded attachments would stop you uploading video from your own computer but it might just work if you had a very short, low-resolution clip.

Hope this helps,
Kim

P.S. I think Flickr allows the uploading and sharing of video as well as single images. If so, that could be the easiest solution to sharing your own video.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Thanks Ayu and Kim. If anyone else has advice about uploading video to Dharmawheel I'd be happy to hear it.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I tried to upload a video-file of 77 seconds. The system says it is too large.
So the best way to upload own videos is to outsoure them to youtube or other videosites. Then you can just put in the link in here between the function [*video*][*/video*]
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

Here is a brief Wikipedia article with examples of BBCode that may be helpful.

I find the best way to learn how to use BBCode in Dharma Wheel posts is to see how other members are using it. The BBCode can be viewed by clicking the Quote button as if you were going to reply to a post.
Punya

Post by Punya »

Thank you dharmagoat. Clicking the quote button to see the code is exactly the advice I needed. :smile:
~Chatral Rinpoche

Return to “Suggestion Box”