Why should videos be explained in some sentences?

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
frank123

Why should videos be explained in some sentences?

Post by frank123 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Topic split from here: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 69#p270169
Kim O'Hara wrote:It would help the discussion move forwards if both of you (and everyone else, in every thread, for that matter) made a habit of telling readers (briefly) what is in the linked video and how it is relevant to the discussion.
Amongst other benefits, it would let casual readers know whether the video was worth watching. Your 50 words can be read in a few seconds. If you don't write them, readers have a choice between knowing nothing about the video or taking 2 or 5 or 15 minutes to download and watch it.
Thanks,

:namaste:
Kim
Sometimes its best to stay silent and let other decide for themselves and also let the video speak for itself.
Last edited by Ayu on Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Add note & quote & typo

Ayu
Former staff member

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by Ayu » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:52 pm

frank123 wrote:Sometimes its best to stay silent and let other decide for themselves and also let the video speak for itself.
In my country, many videos are resticted due to profit issues. That's why I often only see black. These videos do not speek for themselves.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

frank123

Re: Pema Khandro?

Post by frank123 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:03 pm

Ayu wrote:
frank123 wrote:Sometimes its best to stay silent and let other decide for themselves and also let the video speak for itself.
In my country, many videos are resticted due to profit issues. That's why I often only see black. These videos do not speek for themselves.

Im sorry,thats unfortunate but i dont think you will be much more informed from a sentence from me.(so if the video works it generally speaks for itself)

conebeckham

Re: Why sould videos be explaned in some sentences?

Post by conebeckham » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:14 pm

Imagine, if you will, if everyone just posted links to videos, articles, etc. here at Dharma Wheel. Threads with nothing but links, links, and more links.

Is that discussion?

I agree that it's beneficial to provide a few words about the link you're posting--cooment on it's context to the topic, or some sort of general explanation, is appropriate.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Paul

Re: Why sould videos be explained in some sentences?

Post by Paul » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:28 pm

As Cone has said, this is a discussion board, not a collection of bookmarks. Every board I've been involved with has viewed just posting a video or a link with no discussion at all as being poor etiquette. Let us know why you are posting it - start the discussion properly.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

frank123

Post by frank123 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:42 pm

Paul wrote:As Cone has said, this is a discussion board, not a collection of bookmarks. Every board I've been involved with has viewed just posting a video or a link with no discussion at all as being poor etiquette. Let us know why you are posting it - start the discussion properly.
I would agree for sure, its a good idea if one is starting a discussion.If there is a lot of discussion taking place in the tread already and it moves on to samples of youtube teachings one could post another link to observe having confidence that its in this context.(which what happened in this case and Kim split the tread)But generally speaking i agree.

emaho

Re: Why should videos be explained in some sentences?

Post by emaho » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:58 pm

I agree videos and links to external articles should have a short comment, explaining what the video or article is about and why the poster thinks this is relevant. It's just a matter of courtesy towards the reader.
Ayu wrote:In my country, many videos are resticted due to profit issues. That's why I often only see black. These videos do not speek for themselves.
Try proxtube, it works fine in most cases.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:15 pm

frank123 wrote:
Paul wrote:As Cone has said, this is a discussion board, not a collection of bookmarks. Every board I've been involved with has viewed just posting a video or a link with no discussion at all as being poor etiquette. Let us know why you are posting it - start the discussion properly.
I would agree for sure, its a good idea if one is starting a discussion.If there is a lot of discussion taking place in the tread already and it moves on to samples of youtube teachings one could post another link to observe having confidence that its in this context. ... But generally speaking i agree.
But the video could represent a change of direction - to use your example, it could be "here's another video which shows something different" rather than "here's another example of the same sort of thing." And if you don't say so, other readers won't know. They will be in almost the same position as if you posted a link at the beginning of a thread.
(which what happened in this case and Kim split the tread)
For the record, I didn't - Ayu did, and I agree it was a good idea. I did delete your last question in the original thread, before you found this one, however.

Kim

frank123

Post by frank123 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:05 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
frank123 wrote:
I would agree for sure, its a good idea if one is starting a discussion.If there is a lot of discussion taking place in the tread already and it moves on to samples of youtube teachings one could post another link to observe having confidence that its in this context. ... But generally speaking i agree.
But the video could represent a change of direction - to use your example, it could be "here's another video which shows something different" rather than "here's another example of the same sort of thing." And if you don't say so, other readers won't know. They will be in almost the same position as if you posted a link at the beginning of a thread.
(which what happened in this case and Kim split the tread)
For the record, I didn't - Ayu did, and I agree it was a good idea. I did delete your last question in the original thread, before you found this one, however.

Kim
The reason i stayed quite with the video in question is because sometimes if one has not something good to say maybe its better to stay quite.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:36 am

frank123 wrote:The reason i stayed quite with the video in question is because sometimes if one has not something good to say maybe its better to stay quite.
You can say why you think it is relevant without being judgemental about the content.
You can also express an opinion - or your knowledge - of the reliability and independence of the source.
Both kinds of comment are more useful than silence.

Kim

frank123

Post by frank123 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:21 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
frank123 wrote:The reason i stayed quite with the video in question is because sometimes if one has not something good to say maybe its better to stay quite.
You can say why you think it is relevant without being judgemental about the content.
You can also express an opinion - or your knowledge - of the reliability and independence of the source.

Kim
Why i think the video is relevant? or do you mean my view on it?
And the reliability is obvious because it was Pema Khandro's personal video.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:42 am

frank123 wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote:

Kim
Why i think the video is relevant? or do you mean my view on it?
And the reliability is obvious because it was Pema Khandro's personal video.
Yes, why you think the video is relevant, e.g. "this gives a good idea of her teaching style" or "this shows what her views on X really are"
Your view on it would also be of interest, e.g. "she is clear and direct" or "she sounds like she doesn't know what she's talking about" or even "I found this video with her name on it but I don't know anything about it."
The fact that it was Pema Khandro's personal video should mean that she approves of it, but if you noticed really heavy editing or something then it would be good of you to say so.
:thinking:
Say what you like, but say something!!

Kim

frank123

Post by frank123 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:58 am

What she says in the video tells a lot more about her teaching than i could ever say.Nah Best leave it to herself for this one.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:10 am

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:Try proxtube, it works fine in most cases.
And if it doesn't, a good VPN service most certainly will.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:33 am

frank123 wrote:What she says in the video tells a lot more about her teaching than i could ever say.
Oh?

:coffee:

:coffee:

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:49 pm

frank123 wrote:
Ayu wrote:

Im sorry,thats unfortunate but i dont think you will be much more informed from a sentence from me.(so if the video works it generally speaks for itself)
I think, the other users explained it very well already.
This granting of only a very short explanation would be a friendly favor for your fellow users.

I see many reasons, why videos often are not able to speak for themselves:
- they are too long to watch,
- they are restricted in some countries,
- the video function sometimes is down
- watching them swallows much money on some mobile systems,
- and the intention - what somebody wants to say with it - is often mistakable...
I must admit, if there is no comment about it, I never understand what was intended exactly, because there are too many possibilities.
- And, last not least, some videos have shocking contents. That's why I always hesitate to click on it.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

frank123

Post by frank123 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:15 pm

And none of the above applies to the video i posted.(And before or if you would say it)i was not going the write for example with the video i posted:
e.g. This video is very short.
This video may not be viewable in certain countries.
This video's function is not down.
And last but not least this video has no shocking content unless you are expecting real Buddha Dharma.

emaho

Post by emaho » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:40 pm

Ayu wrote:I see many reasons, why videos often are not able to speak for themselves:
- they are too long to watch,
- they are restricted in some countries,
- the video function sometimes is down
- watching them swallows much money on some mobile systems,
- and the intention - what somebody wants to say with it - is often mistakable...
I must admit, if there is no comment about it, I never understand what was intended exactly, because there are too many possibilities.
- And, last not least, some videos have shocking contents. That's why I always hesitate to click on it.
If I may add another reason to this list:

- often videos get deleted after a while, and sometimes only a couple of months later entire discussions are completely incomprehensible if nobody knows what people are referring to...
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen

KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:13 am

Bottom line: it is rude to post a link without some indication of why one is posting it.

Not everyone has the luxury of high-speed Internet. I don't mind watching a video if I believe it is going to be worth the time it takes to download it. But I won't watch some random link just on the off chance that it might turn out to be interesting. Life is too short for that.

Om mani padme hum.
Keith

plwk

Post by plwk » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:14 am

It would help the discussion move forwards if both of you (and everyone else, in every thread, for that matter) made a habit of telling readers (briefly) what is in the linked video and how it is relevant to the discussion.
Amongst other benefits, it would let casual readers know whether the video was worth watching. Your 50 words can be read in a few seconds. If you don't write them, readers have a choice between knowing nothing about the video or taking 2 or 5 or 15 minutes to download and watch it.
Well Kim, maybe this could be included in the TOS then ... and until such time, frank may be entitled to how he wants his topic done? Just a thought...

Return to “Suggestion Box”