Cupboards and Shelves....

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Justmeagain

Cupboards and Shelves....

Postby Justmeagain » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:57 am

I have read through the ToS and T&C and I am not sure at all what constitutes a 'ban' in here.

I generally feel uncomfortable and feeling uncomfortable in a Buddhist forum?

It just feels really wrong putting a restriction on what people can bring.

Sad really but its just the way it is I guess.

Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Cupboards and Shelves....

Postby Ayu » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:21 pm

Justmeagain wrote:I have read through the ToS and T&C and I am not sure at all what constitutes a 'ban' in here.

It takes a lot of crap before someone get's banned permanently. There is a long procedure of informing, warning informally, warning formally, temporary suspensions... and so on. There are people here since years contravening the ToS and they are still not banned permanently.

But whoever feels bad about the ToS of this board, is free to join other forums with better ToS. No problem.
Peace. :meditate:
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Justmeagain

Postby Justmeagain » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:07 pm

Ayu wrote:It takes a lot of crap before someone get's banned permanently. There is a long procedure of informing, warning informally, warning formally, temporary suspensions... and so on.

Alas if only that were the case :(

I think the issue is that as soon as someone mentions something moderately challenging, its labeled as 'Trolling' and its only a matter of time before they disappear - its sinister at times. I have seen this happen with a previous member whose post was at most thought provoking.

I just feel compelled to state it thats all.

Ayu
Global Moderator

Postby Ayu » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:29 pm

Im sorry to hear you feel uncomfortable.

This thread is worth reading for you, because it illuminates the problem from all sides: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=21211
It was locked at the end, because nothing new was added after page 7.

You can see, people are demanding less moderation and more strict moderation at the same time. Since this forum is an interdependend construction made out of manifold different minds, moderating is not that easy as it seems to some, and most of the times there are way more reasons and things to consider to make a decision, than you can publicly perceive.
And as somebody said in that thread also: mods are human beings and thus not unfailable. This forum is just a piece of human art, it is no monastery or heavenly place.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Justmeagain

Postby Justmeagain » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:35 pm

Ayu wrote:Im sorry to hear you feel uncomfortable.

Thanks,

I guess it just seems manifest at times that certain contributors get away with infinitely more than others. the particular instance I am speaking of involved my friend (and thats not a pseudonym for me :) ) feeling a bit jaded after another forum member was really quite rude - they had been a long term member. When she retorted with a suggestion that the response by the long term member was inappropriate and provocative she received a private message stating that the post was not allowed - no reason given at all.

That is what makes me uneasy. Sorry.

Admin_PC
Site Admin

Postby Admin_PC » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:20 pm

Justmeagain wrote:Alas if only that were the case :(

I think the issue is that as soon as someone mentions something moderately challenging, its labeled as 'Trolling' and its only a matter of time before they disappear - its sinister at times. I have seen this happen with a previous member whose post was at most thought provoking.

This is nothing more than hearsay and I put very little stock in your story to be perfectly honest. No offense, but if your "friend" disappeared rather quickly, then there's a good chance they didn't react well when another one of their posts was removed. Being rude to mods in private, publicly criticizing their decisions, these things are spelled out in the Terms of Service. Sometimes posts get deleted before others can read them. It's very likely you don't know the full story. Normal users only see a small percentage of what goes on at this forum. The moderation team goes to great lengths to follow the Terms of Service to the letter and to be as patient with forum members as humanly possible. There are certainly some forum members that seem almost incapable in engaging in respectful discussion. Instead of working with moderators, admitting fault, and correcting their behavior - they escalate the situation with further ToS violations & rudeness, then they play the victim when they are suddenly suspended. Nobody is permanently banned without good reason.
月影の いたらぬ里は なけれども 眺むる人の 心にぞすむ
法然上人

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:38 pm

Justmeagain wrote:I have read through the ToS and T&C and I am not sure at all what constitutes a 'ban' in here.

Other people aren't responsible for your feelings, frankly. You think there should be no restriction at all, or you think they should be different?
Last edited by Johnny Dangerous on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:40 pm

Justmeagain wrote:
Ayu wrote:It takes a lot of crap before someone get's banned permanently. There is a long procedure of informing, warning informally, warning formally, temporary suspensions... and so on.

Alas if only that were the case :(

By and large, stuff gets labelled as trolling when it's actually trolling - for instance the repeated presentation of especially strong opinions when you have no intention or desire to actually discuss them. If anything, the bar for what constitutes trolling is far more lenient here than on many other forums.

I know I made mistakes as a mod and truthfully so has everyone else, but generally I feel the policy is implemented fairly.

Ayu wrote:You can see, people are demanding less moderation and more strict moderation at the same time.

Yep, it's nearly constant, one side claims over moderation and censorship, while the other side claims you let too many things slide. Amusingly, sometimes people voice both complaints at the same time, leaving you wondering at a solution.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Justmeagain

Postby Justmeagain » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:59 pm

Thank you for your replies.

Message received Loud and Clear!

Return to “Suggestion Box”