Topics that are restricted to members +

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Punya

Topics that are restricted to members +

Post by Punya »

Could the topics that can only be viewed by logging into DW, will only published after review or can only receive replies by PM be clearly marked with a symbol at the end of the topic name eg *, #, + with some advice, perhaps in the locked section of the Announcements forum, about what the symbols mean.

This would save work for Mods in having to deal with requests to move topics and answer questions about why comments haven't been published, etc.

Could this section also include some information about how to post photos and videos and other basics of using the DW site such how to mark topics as read, use of friends and foes etc. Not all of us are computer nerds and, for some, this may the first and only online forum we ever participate in.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Topics that are restricted to members +

Post by Ayu »

As moderator I can't say anything substantial to questions of forums design, I'm sorry.

Punya wrote: ...Could this section also include some information about how to post photos and videos and other basics of using the DW site such how to mark topics as read, use of friends and foes etc. Not all of us are computer nerds and, for some, this may the first and only online forum we ever participate in.
Those informations are supposed to be given in the menu point "FAQ", above on the left. Isn't it?
Or maybe some people asked for and explained these issues already and we could merely stick that topic? To write a DW manual is much work and there's no volunteer to do it, AFAIK. :namaste:
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Ayu wrote:As moderator I can't say anything substantial to questions of forums design, I'm sorry.
Punya wrote: ...Could this section also include some information about how to post photos and videos and other basics of using the DW site such how to mark topics as read, use of friends and foes etc. Not all of us are computer nerds and, for some, this may the first and only online forum we ever participate in.
Those informations are supposed to be given in the menu point "FAQ", above on the left. Isn't it?
Yes, most of those questions are answered in the FAQ's.
Or maybe some people asked for and explained these issues already and we could merely stick that topic? To write a DW manual is much work and there's no volunteer to do it, AFAIK. :namaste:
I think the question about posting photos has been asked and answered before but it's not hard anyway - once you know that you have to click on the "Attachments" tab in the panel below the one you're composing the message in, which is not obvious. However, there are limits on image size and (from memory) you can't upload videos at all - you can only link to them.

With all these things, the biggest problem is that people don't know where to find the answers and I really don't think there's any place on the forum that everyone will be able to find when they start looking. :shrug:
Some of the information is in the FAQ's, some in the 'Welcome' section of the forum https://dharmawheel.net/viewforum.php?f=3, and then there are odd bits under "options", "Attachments" and "Quick links" - and the only way to find out where everything is hidden is to spend a good chunk of time familiarising yourself with the board: click on everything and see where it takes you!
:coffee:
Punya wrote:Could the topics that can only be viewed by logging into DW, will only published after review or can only receive replies by PM be clearly marked with a symbol at the end of the topic name eg *, #, + with some advice, perhaps in the locked section of the Announcements forum, about what the symbols mean.
I don't think that is possible within the limits of the phpBB software. Most of those permissions are set on a forum-by-forum basis, and some on a membership type basis. Those settings (aka 'permissions') should be explained in the 'Welcome' section or the FAQ's.

:namaste:
Kim
Punya

Post by Punya »

Thank you both for your replies. I will aspire to having the time in the future to help with the consolidation of the info.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Punya wrote:Thank you both for your replies. I will aspire to having the time in the future to help with the consolidation of the info.
:thanks:

:namaste:
Kim

Return to “Suggestion Box”