TOS wishful thinking

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

TOS wishful thinking

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Wouldn't it be nice if we could put this in the TOS?
Meido wrote:A great deal of the value I get from forums like DW, aside from content, is examining my motivations for posting.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
dharmagoat

Re: TOS wishful thinking

Post by dharmagoat »

smcj wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if we could put this in the TOS?
Meido wrote:A great deal of the value I get from forums like DW, aside from content, is examining my motivations for posting.
Seconded!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

It's actually there. :smile:
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Interesting to re-read that.

Also made me wonder whatever happened to Catmoon.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

I like this too. From "6 Paramitas and 8 Fold Path".
shaunc wrote:The test of any religion in my opinion is not whether it makes your life better but whether it makes the lives of those around you better.
https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=25545
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
boda

Post by boda »

Ayu wrote:It's actually there. :smile:
Actually it's not.

By the way, 100% of my posts have been approved this last week. Is something wrong? I'm starting to worry.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Part of right speech is examining the motives for the thing's we say to others. So it really is in the TOS. To add to what Meido, and Catmoon said, when we post on public forums it gives us much more opportunity to examine our motives than in face to face conversations. As we are sitting alone usually, and we do not have to reply immediately. Which gives us ample time to examine our thoughts, and feelings before making comments. Not to imply it's an easy thing to do haha.

Beyond examining our own motives for posting, I've noticed when we read forums like these, we tend to do a lot of imagining as well. We imagine the motives of other people's comments and writings. We imagine their tone, their intentions, and their underlying thoughts. We do most of this without noticing it, or really thinking to ourselves... "Is this really how the person means this..", etc.

Online we do not have the convenience of physical clues, body language, tone, etc.

Just think about how many times you have personally been misunderstood online, how our imaginations can tend to breed hostility, anxieties, etc. Once you notice all this junk happening in your mind, for the most part, you can try to weed it out. So, yes there is alot of benefit to posting to online communities.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

:good:
boda

Post by boda »

Jesse wrote:Part of right speech is examining the motives for the thing's we say to others. So it really is in the TOS.
Right speech is abstaining from lying, divisive speech, abusive speech, and from idle chatter. You don't need to examine your motivations in order to abstain from these things. You only need to know what they are, and abstain from them.
To add to what Meido, and Catmoon said, when we post on public forums it gives us much more opportunity to examine our motives than in face to face conversations. As we are sitting alone usually, and we do not have to reply immediately. Which gives us ample time to examine our thoughts, and feelings before making comments. Not to imply it's an easy thing to do haha.
Indeed it's not an easy thing to do. There are levels to our motivations that go well beyond the rational. We do many things that we'll never know or full understand our motivations for. We can also deceive ourselves. Marketers famously exploit our ability to rationalize our behavior.

Ambiguous or false terms of service invite abuse. Honest and explicit terms express clarity of purpose.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

You also have to take into consideration the rest of the 8fold path, especially right thought, and right mindfulness, Both of which are very helpful tools when it comes to right speech. I agree sometimes rules should be quite specific, but I also think having the rules reflect the 8fold path is very Buddhist, no? :tongue:

Then again if we followed it to the T, there wouldn't be a forum because most of our conversations would count as idle chatter hah.
Last edited by Jesse on Fri May 26, 2017 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

boda wrote:
Jesse wrote:Part of right speech is examining the motives for the thing's we say to others. So it really is in the TOS.
Right speech is abstaining from lying, divisive speech, abusive speech, and from idle chatter. You don't need to examine your motivations in order to abstain from these things. You only need to know what they are, and abstain from them.
Examining our motives helps us recognise when we are lying, speaking divisively, speaking abusively, or chattering idly. It builds awareness of our behaviour so that we are more able to abstain from these habits.
boda

Post by boda »

dharmagoat wrote:
boda wrote:
Examining our motives helps us recognise when we are lying, speaking divisively, speaking abusively, or chattering idly. It builds awareness of our behaviour so that we are more able to abstain from these habits.
You are talking about a method, a method that is notoriously difficult and unreliable, and suggesting that this method be part of the terms of service. If the aim of the forum is to provide a space to learn about and discuss Dharma without animosity, and Right Speech is believed to encourage this aim, then whatever method works best to facilitate right speech should be employed. Examining motivations for posting may work well for Meido, but it may not work well at all for others. The method of taking 5 minutes to review a post for truthfulness, divisiveness, abusiveness, and frivolousness before posting, for example, may work far better for some members than examining motivations for posting.

And the above is beside the fact that there's no way to verify if someone has examined their motivations before posting.

The terms of service would also need to define what motivations are acceptable.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

And the above is beside the fact that there's no way to verify if someone has examined their motivations before posting.

The terms of service would also need to define what motivations are acceptable.
True. That's why I titled the thread "TOS wishful thinking".
boda

Post by boda »

Return to “Suggestion Box”