Approaching political subjects from the wrong angle/Too much focus on politics(?)

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Brunelleschi

Approaching political subjects from the wrong angle/Too much focus on politics(?)

Post by Brunelleschi »

Hi all,

It seems that lately(?), there's been a lot of debates regarding current events. Whether it's Trump and the rise of right-wing extremism in the US and Europe, DAESH/ISIS/ISIL, the terrible situation for Rohyingas in Burma/Myanmar or "local" events such as the Transgender-debate in the US.

Perhaps there could be a better way of approaching this, by having a more 'Dharmic' focus. I.e. rather than just having your run of the mill political debate, why not try and approach it from a perspective more in line with the goals and objectives of this forum (as I see it), a constructive debate about Buddha Dharma, its practices and (positive) impact.

Here are two examples of books using Buddhist teachings to ameliorate our relation with our environment and patterns of consumption:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Much-Enough- ... 086171685X

https://www.amazon.com/Interconnected-E ... 1614294127

Just a suggestion. :thumbsup:
Malcolm

Re: Approaching political subjects from the wrong angle/Too much focus on politics(?)

Post by Malcolm »

Brunelleschi wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:54 pm Hi all,

It seems that lately(?), there's been a lot of debates regarding current events. Whether it's Trump and the rise of right-wing extremism in the US and Europe, DAESH/ISIS/ISIL, the terrible situation for Rohyingas in Burma/Myanmar or "local" events such as the Transgender-debate in the US.

Perhaps there could be a better way of approaching this, by having a more 'Dharmic' focus. I.e. rather than just having your run of the mill political debate, why not try and approach it from a perspective more in line with the goals and objectives of this forum (as I see it), a constructive debate about Buddha Dharma, its practices and (positive) impact.

Here are two examples of books using Buddhist teachings to ameliorate our relation with our environment and patterns of consumption:

This is a Buddhist discussion forum. That means things will be discussed by Buddhists of various persuasions and political leanings.
PuerAzaelis

Re: Approaching political subjects from the wrong angle/Too much focus on politics(?)

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Brunelleschi wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:54 pm ... rather than just having your run of the mill political debate, why not try and approach it from a perspective more in line with ... Buddha Dharma ...
I'll kick things off.

Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I think, this is a good suggestion. Maybe the time is not right yet though.
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Interesting question, I think there a lot of possible angles. The unusual ones interest me more than the same old same old. Then again, the latter might be more compassionate, if they are true.
CapNCrunch

Post by CapNCrunch »

Hi Brunelleschi,

I've seen the evolution of a few message boards, from cradle to grave (yes they all have a best by date and shelf life) and it's impossible to mandate the way discussion will evolve (or devolve in some cases). People participate at different times for different reasons. Active participants, especially long standing ones, can only rehash the same things for so long. The pool of people who actively participate on each forum is actually small. Many times interesting principles come from the most counter-intuitive places & discussions.

You know what they say - If you don't like what they're sayin', change the conversation!! :)

The integrity of the board is intact and conversations are taking place in the appropriate forums - Dharma-centric topics in the sub-forums devoted to different schools, and more general fellowship and conversation/debate/sharing in more informal places.

I come here most times to mine old threads for interesting topics I'm interested in, but also for fellowship in general. For many of us who are beginners it's difficult to say anything meaningful about dharma topics, and easier to opine and participate in more general conversations - I always feel more of the fellowship I seek when I'm more active and engaged, so please consider this as well.

Your sentiments are genuine, but don't worry - as long as we all do our best to practice right speech and are respectful, the principles of the dharma will always shine through and everyone can be edified.
“I say good-bye to hope, but I also say goodbye to hope's disappointment.”

David Levithan
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

This thread tries to bring together both issues. Sucessfully? I'll leave that to you to decide.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Maybe use dharmawheel to discuss dharma and go to a political forum to discuss your political views.
There's a lot of pretty smart people that don't believe that politics and religion should be combined.
I can get a political opinion anywhere, left or right wing but the reality of it is that most people's political opinions only matter once every few years.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

That often?
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
CapNCrunch

Post by CapNCrunch »

Maybe use dharmawheel to discuss dharma and go to a political forum to discuss your political views. There's a lot of pretty smart people that don't believe that politics and religion should be combined.
Maybe do as you please, and I'll do the same. Participation either way isn't compulsory. I think the OP was expressing a genuine sentiment and said that - but as has been pointed out, this is a diverse forum that is well segregated into forums, so people don't have to even see anything they don't want to, or interact if they don't want to.

There are a lot of pretty smart people who don't conflate the occasional discussion of politics on a dharma forum for reasons already expressed, with combining politics and religion.
“I say good-bye to hope, but I also say goodbye to hope's disappointment.”

David Levithan
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

I'm with Malcolm on this - the fact that it's a Buddhist board is enough to ensure that we get Buddhist perspectives on mundane topics.

The first of your suggestions has a lot in common with Hooked https://www.amazon.com/Hooked-Buddhist- ... ref=sr_1_1 which is very good indeed.

:namaste:
Kim

Return to “Suggestion Box”