Problem with searches

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
MiphamFan

Problem with searches

Post by MiphamFan »

Most of my searches are returning errors recently. It occasionally works but doesn't most of the time.
ItsRaining

Re: Problem with searches

Post by ItsRaining »

You can try just using the google search: When you search dharmawheel forum on google a search bar should appear below the link to dharmawheel saying "Results from Dharmawheel", type in whatever you want to search and it should work.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Still takes forever, if at all, to respond to a search.

DNS once typed out the exact phrase when using Google, but I lost it. Since I use DuckDuckGo, I wonder if there is a way to use it instead of google?

I gather the problem with the built in Search at Dharma Wheel is unfixable.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Depends on keywords.

I just did a search for "hogwash" and in seconds it gave me 8 pages of hits, mostly posts by me, mind you. :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

After all these years I should know how to search.

If more than one word is used that slows things. But I now recall if a two word search is what one wants, put them in quote marks. If just plain great compassion, for example, is used - very slow. But "great compassion" much faster.

So all is adequate now.
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

I miss not being able to use internal search with results returned as threads not posts.

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

I gave up on the internal search function years ago because it is incurably poor.
I use Google Advanced Search instead - https://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en -
or just do a site-specific search in Google or Duck Duck Go by entering site:https://dharmawheel.net/ and then my search term. Greg's search would then be [ site:https://dharmawheel.net/ hogwash ] without the brackets, of course.
Nicholas' technique of putting compound term in quotes, e.g. "great compassion" will speed up the search by reducing the number of results, and if you know more words which must occur in the post you're looking for, just add them to your search string, e.g. [ site:https://dharmawheel.net/ hogwash Grigoris "feng shui" ] will find any instance of Greg calling feng shui "hogwash" (there aren't any :smile: ).

:coffee:
Kim
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Very helpful Kim, but one must insert a space after net/ and before the term(s) for it to work.

If anyone comes up with a way search this way, but focusing only on thread titles, not their content - please enlighten us.

Return to “Suggestion Box”