Open call for Moderator suggestions

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Open call for Moderator suggestions

Post by Admin_PC » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:24 pm

We're looking to back-fill 2, preferably 3 moderator positions.
Would appreciate any serious suggestions or volunteers.
It would be nice to have at least one candidate with a background in Vajrayana.

Malcolm

Re: Open call for Moderator suggestions

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:19 pm

Admin_PC wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:24 pm
Rotating moderation staff to prevent concentration of authority and burnout.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:26 pm

I nominate you Malcolm.
I know nothing. This is not false modesty.

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:05 pm

Admin_PC wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:24 pm
Malcolm fits this position.

Nicholas Weeks

Re: Open call for No Moderators

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:17 pm

Why not be radical and have no moderators?

"Sticks and stones may break bones but names will never hurt one."

Between using the Foe function and just plain ignoring & shunning, I think things will be fine.
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glorious one, creator of all goodness, Mañjuśrī, his glorious eminence!
Manjushri-namasamgiti

Seeker12

Post by Seeker12 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:29 pm

I have not been terribly active here, though it may be growing. I do not expect that it's likely that I'd be considered a good candidate for moderation as such, but I suppose I would offer my services with hesitation. For what it's worth, I moderate the Reddit Buddhism subreddit under the handle 'En_Lighten' and if there's a need, you could certainly pore through my history there. I have been involved with the Vajrayana for a good... maybe 17 years or so, generally Kagyu/Nyingma, and continue to be, along with having studied the Pali Canon at some length, various Mahayana Sutras, Mahayana commentaries, and Tibetan writers.

I also work as a physician and I have generally small slices of time throughout the weekdays where I can check into forums, make quick posts, etc between patients. My time is limited at night as I have small children, but nonetheless I will check in at times. I'm in the Eastern US time zone.

If it would be helpful, I would give moderation here a go. If it's decided that I'm not a good candidate, have made poor quality posts, haven't been active enough here, or am just generally unliked, I certainly do not need to moderate here, and in truth I am making this post with some hesitation. Also if people felt that it was inappropriate to have one person moderating two separate online forums, of course that would be a consideration.

Regardless, I appreciate that moderation of online forums can be a challenge and I hope that appropriate moderators appear as is beneficial.

Best wishes.
Therein is nothing to remove
And thereto not the slightest thing to add.
The perfect truth viewed perfectly
And perfectly beheld is liberation.

Uttaratantra Shastra

Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:23 am

Unfortunately, the mod team is not for everyone - especially once people get an idea of the requirements for the job. As a result, we're going to have to reopen this call for new moderators. Thanks in advance.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:48 am

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:17 pm

Between using the Foe function and just plain ignoring & shunning, I think things will be fine.
Really? And the bots? Who will take care of them? The people that come here just to advertise? The people that come here just to troll?

You have no idea how much BS we delete...

Go check out some un-moderated boards and come back and tell us about the noise-to-information ratio there.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:10 am

Second the above. The reason the forum doesn’t seem to need moderation, is because it’s well-moderated. :thumbsup:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:08 pm

Nicholas Weeks wrote:

IMO that's how you end up as DhammaWheel.
歸命本覺心法身常住妙法心蓮臺本來莊嚴三身徳三十七尊住心
城遠離因果法然具普門塵數諸三昧無邊徳海本圓滿還我頂禮心諸佛

In reverence for the root gnosis of the heart, the dharmakāya,
for the ever present good law of the heart, the lotus terrace,
for the inborn adornment of the trikāya, the thirty-seven sages dwelling in the heart,
for that which is removed from seed and fruit, the upright key to the universal gate,
for all boundless concentrations, the sea of virtue, the root perfection,
I prostrate, bowing to the hearts of all Buddhas.

胎藏金剛菩提心義略問答鈔, Treatise on the teaching of the gnostic heart of the womb and the diamond, T2397.1.470c5-8

Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:16 pm

Nicholas Weeks wrote:

If you guys only knew what goes on behind the scenes: all the stuff you folks don't see that doesn't make it to the board, the stuff that doesn't last very long on the board because it gets removed, and the stuff we have to deal with in private - you'd never make such a silly suggestion.

Lost two more moderators in the last few weeks (Monlam Tharchen, Sherab Rigdrol).
New mods are desperately needed, turnover for this job is very high.

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:42 pm

Admin_PC wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:16 pm
If you guys only knew what goes on behind the scenes: all the stuff you folks don't see that doesn't make it to the board, the stuff that doesn't last very long on the board because it gets removed, and the stuff we have to deal with in private - you'd never make such a silly suggestion.

Lost two more moderators in the last few weeks (Monlam Tharchen, Sherab Rigdrol).
New mods are desperately needed, turnover for this job is very high.
Did not realize the bots & private cases were such a problem. Why not consider confining a mods job to just those two areas and cease & desist from nearly all speech/topic control?
Glorious one, creator of all goodness, Mañjuśrī, his glorious eminence!
Manjushri-namasamgiti

Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:31 pm

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:42 pm
Did not realize the bots & private cases were such a problem. Why not consider confining a mods job to just those two areas and cease & desist from nearly all speech/topic control?
Because when the later happens (cease & desist from nearly all speech/topic control), the former gets worse (private cases, etc - including threats of legal action or physical violence).

Seriously, until you're on the other side, it is impossible to have any idea of what the job entails - which is why I think the turnover rate is so high.

Rick

Post by Rick » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:23 pm

Illuminating how even in a community grounded in peace and kindness, the violent side of human nature will out. A learning opportunity!
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Admin_PC wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:31 pm
Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:42 pm
Because when the later happens (cease & desist from nearly all speech/topic control), the former gets worse (private cases, etc - including threats of legal action or physical violence).

Seriously, until you're on the other side, it is impossible to have any idea of what the job entails - which is why I think the turnover rate is so high.
There seems to be an inverse relationship between the intended tone of the forum and the reality which reveals itself.
The most polite I encountered were martial arts forums. Perhaps members behaved better knowing that the member they insult may well turn up where they train and kick their ass. The threat of turning up at someone's dharma centre and chanting ferociously is somehow less scary, hence the need for Mod intervention.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:59 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:09 pm
There seems to be an inverse relationship between the intended tone of the forum and the reality which reveals itself.
The most polite I encountered were martial arts forums. Perhaps members behaved better knowing that the member they insult may well turn up where they train and kick their ass. The threat of turning up at someone's dharma centre and chanting ferociously is somehow less scary, hence the need for Mod intervention.
Dude, you haven't seen me wield a phurba! :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Mantrik wrote:
This was my experience too, although a few members from the martial arts forum I was on did actually fight in person on a few occasions.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:51 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:59 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Dude, you haven't seen me wield a phurba! :tongue:
I'll see your Phurba and raise you a Khatvanga, or better yet a Sakujo! ;)
Kidding of course. That there Phurba sure punches above its weight.

If you published some of the shit you receive it would attract sympathy but probably scare off recruits, unless they felt the need to practise patience and wrathful compassion.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:19 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:51 pm
... the need to practise patience and wrathful compassion.
The role is certainly good training in these areas. It's a great learning opportunity but yes, it can be challenging and it's not for everyone.
I came to it from twenty years teaching in schools, and that's good training too :rolleye: but a lot of people just don't get the practice in their daily life.

:namaste:
Kim

Return to “Suggestion Box”