Threaded display option?

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Rick

Threaded display option?

Post by Rick »

Is there a threaded display option so that we can reply to a specific message in a topic and display the topic's messages organized into threads?

If so, how do I turn it on?

If not, why? Threaded messaging makes it so much easier to keep track of individual conversations within a topic. Most forums (afaik) offer threaded messaging either as the default setting or a user-selectable option. Is there a downside to it I'm not seeing?

Thanks!
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Threaded display option?

Post by DNS »

Do you mean something like the format in stack exchange where there are questions and people answer specific questions? Or where you can see individual posts that respond to a specific post? I don't think there is that capability with this software.

For me personally, I don't like that format anyway; it looks too cluttered. I prefer this format where you can see every post in a thread in chronological order from the oldest to the newest as you scroll down. You could always skim over the posts you're not interested in reading.

And then the forum in general is organized by tradition, major subjects, etc, much more organized, imo.
Rick

Re: Threaded display option?

Post by Rick »

DNS wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:23 am Do you mean ... where you can see individual posts that respond to a specific post? I don't think there is that capability with this software.
Yes. And yes (I looked it up, phpBB boards are limited to a flat/unthreaded msging structure).
For me personally, I don't like that format anyway; it looks too cluttered.
Which is why it's best to have something like flat/threaded as a user-selectable option.

Thanks!
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Return to “Suggestion Box”