Readability of Usernames

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
emaho

Readability of Usernames

Post by emaho » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:14 pm

Hi all,

so there are some users with usernames in Asian characters, which is perfectly fine, but, being unable to read these characters,

- I don't know how to address you, (of course I can copy&paste your name, but I still have a feeling I don't know your name)
- and if there are more it will be increasingly difficult for me to keep you guys apart :emb:

since I'm probably not the only one with this problem, and since this is an English speaking forum, my suggestion is: could people with usernames that are not in the English alphabet add a transscription to their name? For instance, if your username is "無爲", could you change it to "無爲 - wu wei"?
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen

Simon E.

Re: Readability of Usernames

Post by Simon E. » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:34 pm

This is a real issue.
I have several times wanted to answer a point made by one the those who sign in with Chinese characters but have not because I do not have the means to address them personally.

Without putting too fine a point on it this is an English based forum.
“Why don’t you close down your PC for a while and find out who needs your help?”

HH Tai Situ.

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:50 am

This makes me want to change my name to Chinese characters.

:spy:

I would use copy and paste. Why do you need to pronounce their name to write to them?
歸命本覺心法身常住妙法心蓮臺本來莊嚴三身徳三十七尊住心
城遠離因果法然具普門塵數諸三昧無邊徳海本圓滿還我頂禮心諸佛

In reverence for the root gnosis of the heart, the dharmakāya,
for the ever present good law of the heart, the lotus terrace,
for the inborn adornment of the trikāya, the thirty-seven sages dwelling in the heart,
for that which is removed from seed and fruit, the upright key to the universal gate,
for all boundless concentrations, the sea of virtue, the root perfection,
I prostrate, bowing to the hearts of all Buddhas.

胎藏金剛菩提心義略問答鈔, Treatise on the teaching of the gnostic heart of the womb and the diamond, T2397.1.470c5-8

Yavana

Post by Yavana » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:46 am

emaho wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:14 pm
Hi all,

so there are some users with usernames in Asian characters, which is perfectly fine, but, being unable to read these characters,

- I don't know how to address you, (of course I can copy&paste your name, but I still have a feeling I don't know your name)
Is the cut and paste option so bad?

It's a Buddhist forum. Buddha spoke an Asian language. It's expected that many words and names will be in Asian. Maybe the question isn't whether people should try to translate their names but whether we should try to learn more Asian.

My two cents.

Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:39 am

Coëmgenu wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:50 am
This makes me want to change my name to Chinese characters.
Hey don't worry! Coemgenu is impossible to type anyway. (See!)
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:36 am

I'm not a fan of this 'real name' obsession. It makes zero difference to using a forum like this one.

I've used forums for decades and never had a problem, being able to ask for someone's name if I need it, but respecting their right to privacy otherwise.

Plenty of good reasons never to use real names, personal data theft from Facebook etc. now being the norm.

Chinese script makes no difference here, nor would Tibetan or Sanskrit.

Unless of course someone wishes to post an insult as a jest, and Mods can't translate it. ;)
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:42 am

Yavana wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:46 am
emaho wrote:
Hi all,

It's a Buddhist forum. Buddha spoke an Asian language. It's expected that many words and names will be in Asian. Maybe the question isn't whether people should try to translate their names but whether we should try to learn more Asian.

My two cents.
I have no intention of learning Chinese simply because someone joins an English language forum and uses a form not accessible to the majority. :smile: Neither am I going to copy and paste.
I will just continue not to address their points because I can't use their name in reply.
Thats fine with me..and probably fine with them. It might be what they intended.
User name as shibboleth.
“Why don’t you close down your PC for a while and find out who needs your help?”

HH Tai Situ.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:52 am

Just to be clear, the issue is being able to deploy their user name..whether or not it is the name on their passport is not the issue.

HH Tai Situ.

emaho

Post by emaho » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Yes, like Simon said, it has nothing to do with real names. Neither did I say anything against usernames in Asian characters. And of course it's not inevitable or something I can't live with. It's just a matter of politeness.

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:31 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:42 am
Yavana wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:46 am
emaho wrote:
Hi all,

My two cents.
I have no intention of learning Chinese simply because someone joins an English language forum and uses a form not accessible to the majority. :smile: Neither am I going to copy and paste.
I will just continue not to address their points because I can't use their name in reply.
Thats fine with me..and probably fine with them. It might be what they intended.
User name as shibboleth.
How is this not vaguely racist? Just use cut and paste.

"I'm just not going to talk to these Asian peeps because I don't think their name are accessible."

It's like "I'm not going to talk to these trans people because their gender confuses me and isn't accessible to me and I have no intention of learning their pronouns."
歸命本覺心法身常住妙法心蓮臺本來莊嚴三身徳三十七尊住心
城遠離因果法然具普門塵數諸三昧無邊徳海本圓滿還我頂禮心諸佛

In reverence for the root gnosis of the heart, the dharmakāya,
for the ever present good law of the heart, the lotus terrace,
for the inborn adornment of the trikāya, the thirty-seven sages dwelling in the heart,
for that which is removed from seed and fruit, the upright key to the universal gate,
for all boundless concentrations, the sea of virtue, the root perfection,
I prostrate, bowing to the hearts of all Buddhas.

胎藏金剛菩提心義略問答鈔, Treatise on the teaching of the gnostic heart of the womb and the diamond, T2397.1.470c5-8

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:51 pm

On the contrary. I think using a script that deliberately excludes the majority of forum users ON AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE FORUM could be seen as inverse racism and chauvinistic ( in its original sense).

There are many Chinese forums. I have no intention of visiting them and insisting that they learn English.

No Chinese person cares if I debate them on this forum, and neither should they. :lol:
Last edited by Simon E. on Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HH Tai Situ.

emaho

Post by emaho » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:02 pm

I don't know if this discussion about Simon's motives has anything to do with me, so I'm keeping out of it.

To avoid misunderstandings I'd like to make clear that all I'm asking is that people with usernames in other than the english alphabet add an english transscription to their username. That shouldn't be too much to ask, should it?

And I'm also hoping that the mods take up this suggestion and make it a general rule for usernames.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:06 pm

emaho wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:02 pm
I don't know if this discussion about Simon's motives has anything to do with me, so I'm keeping out of it.

To avoid misunderstandings I'd like to make clear that all I'm asking is that people with usernames in other than the english alphabet add an english transscription to their username. That shouldn't be too much to ask, should it?

And I'm also hoping that the mods take up this suggestion and make it a general rule for usernames.
And that seems perfectly sensible to me. My 'motive' is simple transparency.

HH Tai Situ.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:10 pm

The points on both sides have some merit, though, Simon (サイモン :tongue: ), you're kind of sounding like a grumpy old man.

We've had some concerns about user names in non-English text, particularly when we are suspicious that the user name itself is a trolling strategy, and have had some examples of this. We've also been concerned with user names that were just a series of wingding symbols, just because its odd. We've asked these members to select a different user name.

Even though user names are just identifiers, I think I can speak for the mod team in saying, we respect the prerogative of a member to control the identity they present here, whether in their user name, avatar image, or posts.

As with anything, we've more or less settled on trusting users to be on the up and up. If someone notices that a user name is a trolling strategy, please let the mod team know and we will address it.

With respect to Simon's concern about addressing members with non-English text user names, it might be best practice for those users with foreign language text user names to put a note in their signature about how they would like to be addressed in English text - whether its a transliteration or another name. That would be a friendly thing to do. And of course, cut and paste as suggested above is always an option for the person wanting to address the member.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:17 pm

Queequeg I think you are being grumpyoldmanist. :smile:

HH Tai Situ.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:17 pm
Queequeg I think you are being grumpyoldmanist. :smile:
Ah, ask my wife. I've aspired to be a grumpy old man since my 20s. Clint Eastwood's character from Gran Torino is my role model.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:06 pm

:twothumbsup:

HH Tai Situ.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:45 pm

emaho wrote:
Hi all,

- and if there are more it will be increasingly difficult for me to keep you guys apart :emb:

since I'm probably not the only one with this problem, and since this is an English speaking forum, my suggestion is: could people with usernames that are not in the English alphabet add a transscription to their name? For instance, if your username is "無爲", could you change it to "無爲 - wu wei"?
Says the person called emaho... Sigh...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Matt J

Post by Matt J » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:12 pm

I hate it when people say “grumpy old man” instead of curmudgeon. You kids and your lack of 16th century terms! :lol:
Queequeg wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:10 pm
The points on both sides have some merit, though, Simon (サイモン :tongue: ), you're kind of sounding like a grumpy old man.
"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

emaho

Post by emaho » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:56 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:45 pm
Says the person called emaho... Sigh...
dang, you're right! So sorry 'bout that. Can the mods please change my name into Tibetan letters?

Return to “Suggestion Box”