Paul Gilding: The Earth is full

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Post Reply
User avatar
Mr. G
Posts: 4035
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Spaceship Earth

Paul Gilding: The Earth is full

Post by Mr. G » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:43 am

Have we used up all our resources? Have we filled up all the livable space on Earth? Paul Gilding suggests we have, and the possibility of devastating consequences, in a talk that's equal parts terrifying and, oddly, hopeful.

phpBB [video]
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu

User avatar
KathyLauren
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:22 pm
Location: East Coast of Canada
Contact:

Re: Paul Gilding: The Earth is full

Post by KathyLauren » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:47 am

Beyond full. The best estimates are that the Earth can sustainably support at most about 2 billion people. That means that we are headed in only one direction... :o

User avatar
Indrajala
Posts: 6314
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Paul Gilding: The Earth is full

Post by Indrajala » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:16 am

KeithBC wrote:Beyond full. The best estimates are that the Earth can sustainably support at most about 2 billion people. That means that we are headed in only one direction... :o
Image
tad etat sarvajñānaṃ karuṇāmūlaṃ bodhicittahetukam upāyaparyavasānam iti |
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)

User avatar
Indrajala
Posts: 6314
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Paul Gilding: The Earth is full

Post by Indrajala » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:26 am

I was reading recently about how shale gas deposits in North and South America could potentially quadruple existing fossil fuel reserves, at least according to some estimates.

Even if that proved correct (which I doubt it is), that's even worse than not having the shale reserves.

It just means we'll be dumping even more carbon into the atmosphere and cooking the planet.
tad etat sarvajñānaṃ karuṇāmūlaṃ bodhicittahetukam upāyaparyavasānam iti |
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)

User avatar
Quiet Heart
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 10:57 am
Location: Bangkok Thailand

Re: Paul Gilding: The Earth is full

Post by Quiet Heart » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:26 am

:alien:
Absolutely great. What I've been saying for years....but nobody listens to an old fool like me.
The only complaint I have about this talk is that he glosses over the fact that if, when the big change starts we are 50% over the limit at that time....then 50% of the excess people will have to go. And that won't be easy to do or be done with any compassion either.
It probably won't bother me personally...I'm 66 now, so I don't expect to be around in 2050 (or whenever) when the crunch hits.
But I do feel sorry for those that will be.
I hope I'm wrong however.
But, as he says in his speech...it's time for us (as a species I guess) to grow up and become adults. if we don't, or somehow can't do that...maybe the cockroaches will do it right the next time.
:shrug:
Shame on you Shakyamuni for setting the precedent of leaving home.
Did you think it was not there--
in your wife's lovely face
in your baby's laughter?
Did you think you had to go elsewhere (simply) to find it?
from - Judyth Collin
The Layman's Lament
From What Book, 1998, p. 52
Edited by Gary Gach

User avatar
Indrajala
Posts: 6314
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Paul Gilding: The Earth is full

Post by Indrajala » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:50 am

Quiet Heart wrote: But I do feel sorry for those that will be.
I hope I'm wrong however.
But, as he says in his speech...it's time for us (as a species I guess) to grow up and become adults. if we don't, or somehow can't do that...maybe the cockroaches will do it right the next time.
:shrug:
When the fossil fuels are used up, it looks likely that we'll revert to pre-industrial demographics and population levels.

That means maybe six to seven billion human beings will be tossed into history's dumpster.

That's actually what will happen.

Just imagine how many more people would die before the age of sixty if ambulance services became unavailable. That is to say nothing of decline in general healthcare, food production, transportation and other necessities for having such high population levels.

The unfortunate reality, however, is you tell this to a lot of people and maybe they accept it, but still live their lives business as usual. Kids, cars, houses, mortgages, etc... You seldom see sacrifice.

The best thing anyone can do is be poor voluntarily. Then when the crunch hits you'll already be near rock bottom, so the descent down to it won't be a smashing crash landing.
tad etat sarvajñānaṃ karuṇāmūlaṃ bodhicittahetukam upāyaparyavasānam iti |
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)

User avatar
justsit
Posts: 813
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Paul Gilding: The Earth is full

Post by justsit » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Huseng wrote:I was reading recently about how shale gas deposits in North and South America could potentially quadruple existing fossil fuel reserves, at least according to some estimates.

Even if that proved correct (which I doubt it is), that's even worse than not having the shale reserves.

It just means we'll be dumping even more carbon into the atmosphere and cooking the planet.
The concerns with shale gas production include air pollution, groundwater contamination, radioactive contamination, etc., in addition to greenhouse gas emission and earthquakes.
cf, Fracking
Brought to you by the fine folks who produced Deepwater "That could never happen" Horizon and Exxon Valdez.

User avatar
Indrajala
Posts: 6314
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Paul Gilding: The Earth is full

Post by Indrajala » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:47 pm

justsit wrote: The concerns with shale gas production include air pollution, groundwater contamination, radioactive contamination, etc., in addition to greenhouse gas emission and earthquakes.
cf, Fracking
Brought to you by the fine folks who produced Deepwater "That could never happen" Horizon and Exxon Valdez.
There you go. Another dangerous idea implemented to ensure mass consumerism can still live on for a few more years despite mortgaging our childrens' futures.
tad etat sarvajñānaṃ karuṇāmūlaṃ bodhicittahetukam upāyaparyavasānam iti |
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)

User avatar
padma norbu
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:10 am

Re: Paul Gilding: The Earth is full

Post by padma norbu » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:03 am

doubling time = all you need to know to know why nobody talks about doubling time
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests