What happens after suicide?

A forum for discussing aspects of dying and death. Please be mindful when posting in this section.
Empty Cloud

What happens after suicide?

Post by Empty Cloud » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:26 am

Dear all,

I would like to discuss the repercussions of suicide as compared to normal death conditions.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: What happens after suicide?

Post by Queequeg » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:30 am

Folks - this can be a touchy subject. Please be mindful.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

well wisher

Post by well wisher » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:35 pm

Yes this is indeed a very sensitive (and possibly dangerous) subject to touch on. No wonder the lack of reply in this thread.
Anyways from what I was taught, Buddhist traditions generally frown upon suicides. The suicider is more likely to end up with more unfavourable rebirths (with respect to the Dharma), and also more likely to commit suicides again and again after each rebirth. (Eg. suicides up to 7 rebriths, as per some Aisan Mahayana Buddhist folktales).

For consultation, you can also read up other webpages:
https://spokanefavs.com/ask-a-buddhist- ... r-suicide/
"Ask A Buddhist: What happens to someone after suicide?"
https://www.urbandharma.org/udharma/suicide.html
" Buddhism and Suicide --- The Case of Channa"
- More similar webpages available in any online search.

My opinion is: do not encourage suicide, best to seek medical/professional help for all those would-be-suiciders.
Better to die trying to live a good life, then to take your own life as an quick escape from misery. It also helps to find the simple and good things in life to enjoy, and focus on those happy hobbies and moments.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:53 pm

I have had to deal with the repercussions of suicide many times and it was a catalyst for me to understand buddhism. I have, had and will continue to make a conscious and even vocal effort (I asked buddha) to help me turn their karma into merit.

Even if the karma left behind effects only me, I still feel hoping to release them from that causation even on a personal level I believe to be part of the process of liberation for both myself and them. This is of course presumed through contemplation and strong belief in the compassion of the buddhas of the ten directions.

I do not think it is as productive to uncover the consequence for those who have committed suicide rather than the actions we can take to help liberate them as well as the living who where related to them.

well wisher

Post by well wisher » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:23 pm

tkp67 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:53 pm
I have had to deal with the repercussions of suicide many times and it was a catalyst for me to understand buddhism. I have, had and will continue to make a conscious and even vocal effort (I asked buddha) to help me turn their karma into merit.

Even if the karma left behind effects only me, I still feel hoping to release them from that causation even on a personal level I believe to be part of the process of liberation for both myself and them. This is of course presumed through contemplation and strong belief in the compassion of the buddhas of the ten directions.

I do not think it is as productive to uncover the consequence for those who have committed suicide rather than the actions we can take to help liberate them as well as the living who where related to them.
Hmm good points, better to pray for deceased and hope they enjoy a better afterlife, than to condemn them. Hopefully some Bodhisattav/ Buddha would rescue them from Samsara.

I do not mean any disrespect to the dead, or intend to belittle the miserable circumstance that would drive one to suicide. And I would think that often times, it is not the fault of the suicider, but they are the victims placed in a undesirable situation, that is not of their own will nor choice. We are in the Saha /Earth world after all, where suffering and strife is plenty.
Still I think it's better to prevent suicides whenever we feasibly can, do not waste lives and chances.
Feel free to ignore the folk tale I mentioned earlier, I just heard it from an older relative in my family, and it might not be true for every suicides.

Return to “Dying and Death”