Everyday and Everynight.

A forum for discussing aspects of dying and death. Please be mindful when posting in this section.
Simon E.

Everyday and Everynight.

Post by Simon E. »

Everyday I remind myself that it could be my last. Every night I remind myself that I might not wake. One day or one night I will be correct.
Far from being morbid this gives rise to a great appreciation for life and the opportunity it gives to Awaken beyond life and death.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Hazel

Re: Everyday and Everynight.

Post by Hazel »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:14 pm Everyday I remind myself that it could be my last. Every night I remind myself that I might not wake. One day or one night I will be correct.
Far from being morbid this gives rise to a great appreciation for life and the opportunity it gives to Awaken beyond life and death.
I feel so tightly wound up with anxiety and a sense of "everything is about to be horrible if I let my guard down" that I find myself trying to avoid any unpleasant thought or feeling. To the point where I don't watch most movies. It's not good for me and has caused a lot of trouble (and my brain is no less riddled with unpleasantness). For this reason especially, I am quite attracted to practice like you're describing, but I never actually do them because I'm simply too afraid.

Guess I need to learn to face facing facing death...
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I felt exactly like that for a long time Hazel. I remember being on holiday as a young man and not wanting to walk through a medieval graveyard..not through fear of ghosts , but because of the reminder of death.
Don’t force it. Just allow yourself to come to terms with mortality over time.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:48 pm I felt exactly like that for a long time Hazel. I remember being on holiday as a young man and not wanting to walk through a medieval graveyard..not through fear of ghosts , but because of the reminder of death.
Don’t force it. Just allow yourself to come to terms with mortality over time.
Yup! Really good advice. I kinda forced it and not really worth it, few weeks of anxiety and not fun at all. Better to go slowly.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Hazel wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:33 pm ...I find myself trying to avoid any unpleasant thought or feeling. To the point where I don't watch most movies. It's not good for me and has caused a lot of trouble (and my brain is no less riddled with unpleasantness).
Psychological pain is normal, as much as anything is normal. "What we resist persists" as they say. Tonglen (or something like Tonglen) has really helped me there, rather than trying to direct it to outward sources, sometimes I just inhale the most unpleasant things I am trying to push away, then abide with them a while.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:14 pm Everyday I remind myself that it could be my last. Every night I remind myself that I might not wake. One day or one night I will be correct.
Similarly, before I get out of bed in the morning, I often imagine that I am lying in my deathbed, on my last day, with people asking me, "Do you need anything? Do you want to watch TV? Do you want to go to the shopping mall?" --and other such questions. And the answer is always, "No,I'm quite content" and this makes me realize that I don't need most of the things I seem to be attached to during the day. It seems to be a good way to cut through craving.
Be kind.

Return to “Dying and Death”