AKB, Ch. 1, Ver. 1: Exposition of the Elements (Dhatunirdesa); Homage; Qualities for the benefi

Grigoris
Former staff member

AKB, Ch. 1, Ver. 1: Exposition of the Elements (Dhatunirdesa); Homage; Qualities for the benefi

Post by Grigoris »

It is by the teaching [sasana] of what
is truly real [yathabhuta] that the Fortunate One, the teacher, has drawn the
world out from the mire of cyclic existence, and not by virtue [prabhava]
of the supernormal accomplishments [rddhi] or of the granting of boons [ varapradana].
Here it is clearly stated that a/the Buddha acts through teaching and not by granting wishes or magical actions.

How would this statement impact on the notion of "other power"?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: AKB, Ch. 1, Ver. 1: Exposition of the Elements (Dhatunirdesa); Homage; Qualities for the benefi

Post by Queequeg »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:10 am
It is by the teaching [sasana] of what
is truly real [yathabhuta] that the Fortunate One, the teacher, has drawn the
world out from the mire of cyclic existence, and not by virtue [prabhava]
of the supernormal accomplishments [rddhi] or of the granting of boons [ varapradana].
Here it is clearly stated that a/the Buddha acts through teaching and not by granting wishes or magical actions.

How would this statement impact on the notion of "other power"?
By "other power" I'm guessing you are referring to the vow of Amitabha?

I don't think it impacts on "other power" because the practitioner calling on the Buddha and relying on "other power" is actually seeking rebirth in Amitabha's Pure Land where the obstacles of this world do not exist. The being must still traverse the path, they are just doing it under much easier circumstances.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta
PeterC

Re: AKB, Ch. 1, Ver. 1: Exposition of the Elements (Dhatunirdesa); Homage; Qualities for the benefi

Post by PeterC »

This may be a dumb question but - I’m reading the poussin/pruden translation and finding it very hard to relate it to the discussion here. For instance in chapter 1 verse 1 it has:
He has, in an absolute manner, destroyed all blindness; he has drawn out the world from the mire of transmigration; I render homage to him, to this teacher of truth, before composing the treatise called the Abidharmakosa.
:shrug:
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

PeterC wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:25 pm This may be a dumb question but - I’m reading the poussin/pruden translation and finding it very hard to relate it to the discussion here. For instance in chapter 1 verse 1 it has:
He has, in an absolute manner, destroyed all blindness; he has drawn out the world from the mire of transmigration; I render homage to him, to this teacher of truth, before composing the treatise called the Abidharmakosa.
:shrug:
Ok ignore that please. I found the text and the translation. Isn’t that different.

Return to “Abhidharmakosabhasyam Book Club”